PDA

View Full Version : Dividing head is splitting mine

kenny6486
03-15-2016, 12:46 PM
I am interested in making model camshafts (4 8 inches long) for small engines Traditionally it appears you use a dividing head/ rotate table and tail stock on a mill to make camshafts. If so, is it necessary to automate the dividing head or does it work fine hand turning? I want to buy one that can obviously index, maneuver both vertical and horizontal, and have ability to be automated. Regarding automation, I am thinking about attaching a variable speed Sherline motor or CNC with step motor eventually. What I need to know is which rotating dividing assembly are your favorites. It has to enable me to attach a motor though. Also is a 6 inch rotating table adequate for my work or do I need a larger rotating table? My price point is under $900 preferably. My mill (to be purchased this fall) is PM 935 TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carm
03-15-2016, 01:46 PM
"If so, is it necessary to automate the dividing head or does it work fine hand turning?"

Does fine. Gets old.

"Also is a 6 inch rotating table adequate for my work or do I need a larger rotating table? "

If most of what you envision is between centers work I would get a dividing head. Due diligence might find one with an external gear train to interface with the mill's leadscrew. Can't help with step motor torque etc. but it's been done.

TGTool
03-15-2016, 03:02 PM
I believe John Stevenson posted a video at one point with a setup doing this. If not cams, exactly, he certainly has extensive experience of adding stepper motors to rotary tables and coordinating with other machine axes. That might be one fruitful search.