PDA

View Full Version : TV in garage ??

Axkiker
03-25-2016, 01:55 PM
I was given a 40 something inch smart TV recently. I already have a tv in the family and bed rooms so I thought about hanging it up in the garage. My garage is unheated and has the typical wild temp swings.

Any thoughts on if it would hold up out there ???

smithdoor
03-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Yes insulate and use the hot water heater for heat

Dave

Toolguy
03-25-2016, 02:29 PM
The humidity may cause corrosion of electronic components.

MikeL46
03-25-2016, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't do it. But, for a different reason.

No radio, no TV, no distractions where I work with power tools.

Mike

Mcgyver
03-25-2016, 05:16 PM

he come on, how else is one to keep up with the Kardashians? (I actually haven't a clue what a Kardashian is except the get a lot of media attention)

KiddZimaHater
03-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I have an old tube TV in my shop with the digital "Rabbit Ears" antennae.
It was previously sitting outside, on the back porch for years.
It still works great, despite the dust, dirt and temp. swings.
I keep it on mainly as 'background noise' during Football season.

mklotz
03-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Ex-coworker has three peculiarly short fingers on his left hand. TV, football, and a radial arm saw is a very bad combination.

sasquatch
03-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Curious, just what would be so entertaining on the TV?

J Tiers
03-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Garage is the BEST place for the TV.

So long as you never plug it in...... If that is still a temptation when it's out there, just put it on CL.

"Kardashian" sounds like it must be an adjective. probably not a good one, even if it IS longer than 4 letters

Magicniner
03-25-2016, 07:13 PM
Environmentally stick it in there and see how it goes, if you leave it on stand-by the internal PSU will generate some internal heat and should fend off some condensation.

From the point of distraction a man's got to know his limitations, those who recommend no distractions from machines know theirs, I have Radio, 200 Disc CD Changer 2 PCs and TV in my workshop and can still count to 10 with my shoes on ;-)

My TV also runs as a big screen for my CNC Mill, one of my workshop PCs and a monitor for a camera for close-up views of machining on a big display.

If your mind can only cope with the job in hand then have no "distractions".

if your mind can cope with your work and still wants additional stimulation then listen to radio, music or even TV and dip in and out of visual input as is safe and suits you.

Or you could just listen to the "OOH! OOH! DON'T DO THAT! IT'S NOT SAFE! I WOULDN'T DO IT" bollocks from those who spout it copiously based on their own limitations or spurious unsubstantiated beliefs.

The decision is yours,
Nick

kenny6486
03-25-2016, 07:15 PM
I have a tv in my machine shop/ garage and with google play i watch machine youtube when i am replicating a project or have issues to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magicniner
03-25-2016, 07:16 PM
I have a tv in my machine shop/ garage and with google play i watch machine youtube when i am replicating a project or have issues to figure out.

Ooh, you can't do that, some Gimp thinks it isn't safe!

kenny6486
03-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Oh then i will dismantle this weekend thanks [emoji6]

kenny6486
03-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Oh then i will dismantle this weekend thanks - smile

Magicniner
03-25-2016, 07:32 PM
There's always some tosser that thinks Health and Safety rules for protecting big companies from the stupidity and incompetence of their employees must be applied in home workshops.
Whilst I'm a big fan of safe practices I really hate pointless knob-heads who think they can tell what's safe for you by reading your posts.
If a TV isn't safe in a workshop then neither is another worker, they might distract you far more than a TV!

- Nick

Magicniner
03-25-2016, 07:36 PM

No radio, no TV, no distractions where I work with power tools.

Mike

Good Man!
It's nice to see you know your limitations, DO NOT assume to know mine!

- Nick

Mcgyver
03-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Somebody needs a hug

Magicniner
03-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Yeah, and it ain't me pilgrim ;-)

Black_Moons
03-25-2016, 08:43 PM
If a TV isn't safe in a workshop then neither is another worker, they might distract you far more than a TV!

- Nick

Other workers usually shut up when you are about to do that really tight cut on small stock with the blade an inch from your fingers..

TV puts on the action scene.

Doozer
03-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Don't be a tosser! :)

-D

lakeside53
03-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Plug your pc into it and use the big screen for reading machinery handbook pages!

Iraiam
03-25-2016, 09:11 PM
A friend of mine has a nice garage, spotless painted floor with Craftsman and Snap-On workbenches and cabinets at the back wall. There is not a tool in that garage, it's all entertainment with TV, stereo, computer, beer fridge, and other goodies in the cabinets, and of course vehicle parking when not "working" out there.

The electronics don't seem to mind the temperature swings out there.

Paul Alciatore
03-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Obviously you have not been listening to the news lately. You just can't make up this stuff. The heck with the Kardashians, just watch the Democrats and Republicans and, of course, the Donald.

Seriously, if you feel you can not work with a TV on, then, by all means do not use one. I worked in the TV field for 45+ years and having the station tuned in was a requirement while working. So I am quite used to it. I only jump up if the picture or sound goes away. I was usually the one who had to restore it.

Oh, and after high school I ceased to be excited by football or any other sport; unless I was being paid to be at a game, usually at OT rates. And free parking (45 to 50 yard line of course). And free food and drink. Etc. I have been to many games that way.

Curious, just what would be so entertaining on the TV?

Willy
03-25-2016, 09:36 PM
My shop sees a lot of temp and humidity swings at times all though I don't have rust issues so maybe not that extreme when it comes to the humidity.
Irregardless quite often down to minus 10-15C if I have not been out there for a few days during the dark days of winter.
Have had a tv, vcr, cd player, computer and monitor in the "lounge" side of the shop for 35+ years and have had zero issues. I usually warm the shop up for at least and hour or so before turning any of it on,...usually, but not always. On really cold days sometimes the monitor/tv will be dim for 5-10 minutes and the hard drive sounds like the old worn out heater motor in a 62 Chev PU I used to have, at least till it warms up a bit.LOL
My current shop entertainment and info setup is anywhere from 5-10 years old depending on component and no issues yet. So far any replacements in the past have come about due to upgrades and not component failures.

I do not watch tv much if at all, but I do enjoy watching a few select music/gearhead/informative videos when I'm having cocktails with friends after I'm done with my work. So much easier entertaining the boys in the shop rather than dragging it all in the house. I think the wife appreciates this as much as I do.:)

The lathe, mill, and bandsaw are all in another section of the shop and out of site from the electronic distractions. Not that it matters as I turn everything off when I'm working, although I might have some "white noise" emanating from the radio off in the distance.
The hum of the machines is all the entertainment I need when I'm alone and when I'm not the machines and I both take a break.

J Tiers
03-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Who said it wasn't safe? The only thing unsafe about the TV is that some of what's on might get in your head. In the shop, or in the living room, whichever.

Nothing useful on it but the news, and that you are better off not knowing in many cases.....

steve45
03-25-2016, 11:58 PM
I have a flat screen TV in my outdoor kitchen (enclosed). During the winter, I run space heaters to keep the plumbing from freezing, but I'm sure it gets down to 40. During the summer, it gets up to 120 or so. More when the BBQ grill is fired up, as the TV is mounted near the ceiling.

JRouche
03-26-2016, 01:43 AM
I was given a 40 something inch smart TV recently. I already have a tv in the family and bed rooms so I thought about hanging it up in the garage. My garage is unheated and has the typical wild temp swings.

Any thoughts on if it would hold up out there ???

Sounds like my house, kinda. Yeah, hang that screen. Where else are you gonna put it. It might out live all of us. JR

loose nut
03-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Ex-coworker has three peculiarly short fingers on his left hand. TV, football, and a radial arm saw is a very bad combination.

Beer probably didn't help much either.

Paul Alciatore
03-26-2016, 12:47 PM
If you turn it on for an hour or so as little as once a week or even once a month, normal levels of humidity should not be a problem.

And anybody here that is not in the coastal area of a coastal state does NOT have a high level of humidity. Most of the ones in those coastal areas also do NOT have a high level. I heard people in Iowa complain about the humidity in the summer. I just chuckled quietly to my south Louisiana born and raised self.

And even if you are in a coastal area, SALT SPRAY is going to be a bigger problem than humidity. It will corrode things a lot faster than any amount of water ever will. Many modern TVs could probably operate under water as long as that water was pure and did not have a lot of dissolved chemicals.

Oh, and metal dust will be a lot worse threat than anything else. Mount it up high and away from the grinders.

Willy
03-26-2016, 01:07 PM
If you turn it on for an hour or so as little as once a week or even once a month, normal levels of humidity should not be a problem.

And anybody here that is not in the coastal area of a coastal state does NOT have a high level of humidity. Most of the ones in those coastal areas also do NOT have a high level. I heard people in Iowa complain about the humidity in the summer. I just chuckled quietly to my south Louisiana born and raised self.

And even if you are in a coastal area, SALT SPRAY is going to be a bigger problem than humidity. It will corrode things a lot faster than any amount of water ever will. Many modern TVs could probably operate under water as long as that water was pure and did not have a lot of dissolved chemicals.

Oh, and metal dust will be a lot worse threat than anything else. Mount it up high and away from the grinders.

Some very good points Paul.
Actually this is what I do with my electronics in the shop. They are mounted high and covered with a cloth when I'm not using them. I'm sure the grinding dust especially can be disastrous in sufficient amounts on pc board traces.

greystone
03-26-2016, 03:19 PM
The temp wont hurt it.
My laptop died, from cold, after 5 years normal use and 3 years in shop.
Shop goes to -3C, and is == 3C for 2-4 months.

3 years on, the 2 monitors and one TV have not suffered.

The PC that runs the CNC retrofit lathe is never switched off, and is always warm, 24x7.
My PCs, all 17 of them, are never switched off, just the screens on power saving.

Wet is bad for PCs, cold is not.
The failures will be in fans (processor/GPU fans) and PSUs, like always.

Heat is nr1 killer of PC electronics.
On a hot day, if the aircon failed (in Spain), within 2-3 days 2-3 hard drives would fail, on one of the 70+ servers we had (operator use, 24x7x365).

At 70+ server, 400+ routers we ran in 5 countries, I had about 1000 daysx500 devices = 500.000 days-in-use statistics.
In a previous life I repaired about 3000 PCs, out of 11.000+ I sold.

Afaik, none had memory (RAM) errors (a few chips were replaced just in case), none ever had static electricity problems, and 1-2 had a bad processor, in 6 years.

2 had bad frames, ie I junked the metal case.
True story.
I could not identify the cause, but 2 frames had errors, consistently, and all components worked on their own.
Junk the frame, put in new, all ok.
We decided they are "witched" and moved on.

I have my CNC refit PCs and servo amp servers in 19" telco IT racks.
Separated from dust, chips, etc.
Might not have bought them ($$$), but since I already had them well..

These days my office PCs are very reliable, 24x7, because they have no fans, and no hard drives.
SDD, fanless, small, no noise.
So far, == 12x600 days == 7200 days-used-with-no-errors.
Literally.
Users have no access, and I am very careful with sw builds.
No auto-update crap.

Avg uptime is 1 year+, and only due to power failures, office moves, etc.
Win 8.1 by now, 64 bit.

Peter.
03-26-2016, 03:31 PM
I have a 32" flat screen on the wall and it absolutely does not distract me. I like to have it going in the background and even if there's a movie airing that is one of my particular favourites (I'm a sucker for ww2 classics for instance) if I am concentrating on something I find that the movie passes by unnoticed, though the fact that it's going in the background is still comforting.

ulav8r
03-26-2016, 10:26 PM
(I actually haven't a clue what a Kardashian is except the get a lot of media attention)My curiosity finally got to me a few months back so I googled it. Seems a Kardashian is a grotesquely oversized butt, very revulsive to look at. One glimpse was TOO much.

Paul Alciatore
03-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Let me put it another way. Electronics, in general, do not die from cold or even humidity. HEAT is the real problem.

As for dust, chips, etc. getting in, I have two answers. 1. mount them up high. And 2, the TV in my shop is a budget store recycle. It cost me around $10 and has run for over three years now so it is certainly a disposable. I would not put a new, multi-hundred dollar TV or anything in the shop. I even have some old computers that I am reserving for shop use.

Jimmer12
03-27-2016, 11:43 AM
A buddy of mine who is into motorcycles says he wants to mount a tv on the wall and use it with a borescope for inspecting engines.

Rosco-P
03-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Let me put it another way. Electronics, in general, do not die from cold or even humidity. HEAT is the real problem.

As for dust, chips, etc. getting in, I have two answers. 1. mount them up high. And 2, the TV in my shop is a budget store recycle. It cost me around $10 and has run for over three years now so it is certainly a disposable. I would not put a new, multi-hundred dollar TV or anything in the shop. I even have some old computers that I am reserving for shop use.

+1 to the above advice.

One suggestion not already posted, donate the TV to Goodwill Industries and take the full retail tax deduction.

boslab
03-27-2016, 08:46 PM
I thought a kardashian was a Star Trek thing, sounds like I'm about right
Mark

Stepside
03-27-2016, 09:30 PM
I thought it was something from Detroit. You know "Car dash in" one car after another. I apologize, that was lame.

flylo
03-27-2016, 09:41 PM
I don't watch much TV in the house but listen to alot of talk radio & classic rock in the shop, house & truck. IMHO TV takes all your attention while radio doesn't & I still get about the same info.

greystone
03-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Absolutely.
+2

sasquatch
03-28-2016, 10:59 AM
X2 Flylo!