PDA

View Full Version : OT; Windows 10

QSIMDO
04-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Searched but couldn't find if anyone is using 10 and how is it?

elf
04-01-2016, 02:23 PM
According to Microsoft, 250 million are using it :)

I haven't had any issues with it.

Jaakko Fagerlund
04-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Nice looking, many things changed from Windows 7, many professional programs don't support it yet. Can't say about the performance on a home computer, as I don't have it and the computers at work are built for high-core high-memory number-crunching.

dave_r
04-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Non-starter for me.

It's a "free" upgrade, so Microsoft is monetizing it by tracking what you are doing on your computer and you can't turn this tracking off.
Microsoft has also decided that you can't pick and choose which updates to the OS get installed. You have to install them all. And then they don't tell you what is in the update [they have recently changed policy and decided they will give a general idea of what an update changes].
They also have been getting more and more aggressive in trying to get people to upgrade from Win 7/8.

It looks like Windows 8 will be the last version of Windows that is nominally under your control.

Black_Moons
04-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Non-starter for me.

It's a "free" upgrade, so Microsoft is monetizing it by tracking what you are doing on your computer and you can't turn this tracking off.
Microsoft has also decided that you can't pick and choose which updates to the OS get installed. You have to install them all. And then they don't tell you what is in the update [they have recently changed policy and decided they will give a general idea of what an update changes].
They also have been getting more and more aggressive in trying to get people to upgrade from Win 7/8.

It looks like Windows 8 will be the last version of Windows that is nominally under your control.

They backported the spyware to windows 7/8 via updates with poor descriptions.

So now you can't even run windows update on any modren windows OS without risking your systems security/privacy. Good job MS.

rotorhead
04-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Hi Folks,

Some might not like my suggestion but, you can turn off the tracking in all the versions.

SpyBot Search & Destroy, do a proggy called 'Antibeacon'.

Download it for free and install, works with Updates and everything, been using it since the leaked 10's...

kendall
04-01-2016, 05:04 PM
In my opinion, the majority of features that make W10 'special' are the apps and utilities that also send telemetry and advertising data (cortana, xbox, zune, store etc).

After changing a few things (classic start installed, hate tiles) and disabling or uninstalling apps I don't want or need, its really not showing much difference in feel than w7. Where w8 was noticeably quicker than w7. Benchmarks may show w10 faster than 7, but sitting at the keyboard there's no difference.

On first install, you have a choice of default or custom install, choose custom and deselect what you don't want, then once installed can change a few more things. Some of them you need to use powershell to remove.

If you have over 16gigs of ram and run w7 home version, w10 will use all ram, w7 home will only use 16 gigs, which is why I run 10. If I had w7 pro, i wouldn't even think about going to 10.

lakeside53
04-01-2016, 09:02 PM
I'm running it on 6 systems and love it; all upgraded (not even "clean" installs) from Win 7-pro after the November release (solid, ready). Pretty much everything just works "better", even on my 4G (max) laptops. I've found nothing I have that won't run; my printer/scanner needed an updated driver but it was way better anyhow.

Ignore all the naysayers that don't have it installed; it is a damn good and up-to-date OS... and you can turn off all the spyware. My phone spies on me way more, and if you use Google anything, lol.. so get over it and protect yourself if you care.

Edge isn't ready for prime time (but I like it...). IE is still included, or you can choose you favorite third party browser.

To me, it's the OS I wanted from way back, but could't stomach 8 so I waited.

The company I consult to (500+ desktops and 100+ laptops) is slowly rolling it out first on new purchases; around 50 or so in use. No real problems found (some initial stupid in-house app javascript issues, but that was the company fault), and user acceptance is good. So good that people are asking for it.. lol.

If you have multiple installs to do or just want a copy, download the .iso image to a DVD or USB memory stick. If you want a clean copy, you don't need an existing copy of win7 installed - just a valid licence key from Win 7 or 8.

SteveF
04-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Lakeside - One of the things that concerns me about 10 is that the programs like Office can't be used unless you are on the Internet. Believe it or not, there are actually times when I have no access to the Internet and still want to be able to use my computer. Is this just a problem for some applications or is 10 unusable without being connected?

Thanks.
Steve

lakeside53
04-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Not sure what you mean. I use Win 10 and Office 2010, 2013 and some of Office 2016 daily; an Internet connection is not required.

dave_r
04-02-2016, 01:23 AM

Ignore all the naysayers that don't have it installed; it is a damn good and up-to-date OS... and you can turn off all the spyware. My phone spies on me way more, and if you use Google anything, lol.. so get over it and protect yourself if you care.

No, you CANNOT disable Microsoft's spying, at least using any operations a 'regular' person could figure out. They have a slider that indicates you can do so, but setting it to '0' when running the 'consumer' version of Win10, actually treats it as '1'. You need to go out of your way to figure out how to disable sending your personal tracking/usage information to Microsoft [as in, third party apps or start killing things in the background and preventing them from starting up again next time you restart windows or login].

SteveF
04-02-2016, 01:27 AM
From what I've read office 2016 is run from "the cloud" and isn't fully loaded on your system, thus it doesn't run if you're not connected.

If you disconnect from your network, does it still work?

kendall
04-02-2016, 01:53 AM
No, you CANNOT disable Microsoft's spying, at least using any operations a 'regular' person could figure out. They have a slider that indicates you can do so, but setting it to '0' when running the 'consumer' version of Win10, actually treats it as '1'. You need to go out of your way to figure out how to disable sending your personal tracking/usage information to Microsoft [as in, third party apps or start killing things in the background and preventing them from starting up again next time you restart windows or login].

This is why I delete the app folder, however updates reinstall some apps, so I set the update service to manual, then only update when I have time to delete it again.

Edit: I'm currently migrating everything to BSD/linux versions, then only use windows for the software with no alternatives.

interiorpainter
04-02-2016, 05:27 AM
Does this track and trace issue of windows 10 also apply to the telephone versions.
In that case not upgrading to 10 could be wise.
I asked a apple seller about the compatibility of the windows system and their computers. He walked of without saying anything.
He got my like.

vpt
04-02-2016, 08:39 AM
I have it, hated it since day one. Thought it would grow on me and I would get used to it but no. Well over a year later now and I still hate it. It is made for phones and those stupid tablet thingies that don't have keyboards, not for PC's or labtops....

:mad:

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 10:48 AM
What's your problem with it? I find zero usability issues running on non-touch screens. I personally don't like the default metro interface stuff on the bottom left button but that took a minute or so to clean up when installed. Mine looks and feels like any real os.

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 10:53 AM
From what I've read office 2016 is run from "the cloud" and isn't fully loaded on your system, thus it doesn't run if you're not connected.

If you disconnect from your network, does it still work?

Yes it does. Maybe there's various ways to set it up , and some collaborative remote share apps might need it, but the core apps work fine without it. Are you talking about the pay per month or "free" university versions? Obviously you can't access any cloud storage without internet, but I don't use any. My apps were downloaded to and run local on the machine and my storage is either local or networks attached.

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Does this track and trace issue of windows 10 also apply to the telephone versions.
In that case not upgrading to 10 could be wise.
I asked a apple seller about the compatibility of the windows system and their computers. He walked of without saying anything.
He got my like.

I'm sure it does. ALL of the three main steam phone OS and the apps system track the crap out of you. The worst being Android/google, with Apple not much better. Microsoft is a minor in the phone os market. You can turn most of it off but if you want location services and use Gmail, "they" know pretty much everything about you.

vpt
04-02-2016, 11:38 AM
What's your problem with it? I find zero usability issues running on non-touch screens. I personally don't like the default metro interface stuff on the bottom left button but that took a minute or so to clean up when installed. Mine looks and feels like any real os.

Nothing is where it is supposed to be. Good luck finding a control panel or file explorer. Every time there is an update all my settings get reset (really hate this one!). "Apps" are all a joke, there is maybe one that I would like to use but hell if I can find it. Took all kinds of tricks to set up my email to work. It just doesn't work smoothly on a laptop or PC like a OS should. Like I said it is designed solely for a phone or tablet. Works like junk on a computer. I want XP back!

michigan doug
04-02-2016, 12:02 PM
I got tired of them "offering" it to me aggressively so I finally took the plunge on my3 year old lenovo laptop.

It ran noticeably slower. It no longer offered the free/included moviemaker or media player (I forget which). I use that for my usb microscope to spy on my honey bees and various other applications.

After fighting with it for a month, I switched back to 7 and couldn't be happier.

So yes, I did actually try it. And no, I didn't like it.

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 12:32 PM
"it" definitely runs faster on all of my laptops (Thinkpads, 4G ram T61 -> T420 ) - most 3 to 5 years old.

One thing to be careful of... until the November release, Win10 was all over the map w.r.t. stability, features, security, tracking etc. I didn't upgrade until a month after version 1511 came out. There have been several minor'ish updates since then. My current version is 1511 (OS build 10586.16) - type winver into the search box.

Anyone that tried to stop updates etc before that time didn't do themselves any favors. If you did, and are pre 1511, update it.

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Nothing is where it is supposed to be. Good luck finding a control panel or file explorer. Every time there is an update all my settings get reset (really hate this one!). "Apps" are all a joke, there is maybe one that I would like to use but hell if I can find it. Took all kinds of tricks to set up my email to work. It just doesn't work smoothly on a laptop or PC like a OS should. Like I said it is designed solely for a phone or tablet. Works like junk on a computer. I want XP back!

Hmmmm... right click (not left) on the bottom left Microsoft button... control panel and file explorer are all there together a host of other stuff.. If you want, place them on your bottom quick access bar. None of my settings change with updates (many in 4 months).

Nobody really like change on their systems (gheezzze, my Android phone drives me nutz! ), but from a "non tablet/touchscreen" usability viewpoint really do think they got Win10 right (version 1511 onwards).

YMMV ;)

I see nothing on my install that remotely suggests it would work better on a touch screen tablet, phone or whatever.

H380
04-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Watch this. This guy is an Ex-Microsoft Senior Software Developer. He explained 10s phone home stuff so a teen can understand it. Look in the video description for links. IOS and Android are just as bad or even worse.

Disable Windows 10 Spying - Privacy & Security
https://youtu.be/u1kGMCfb2xw

Spybot Anti-Beacon
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Joel
04-02-2016, 04:09 PM
None of my settings change with updates (many in 4 months).

Many of mine have. It's really irritating to have to go through them periodically to see what they have changed to THEIR liking. The settings are many layers deep to make it easy to miss some layers and to ensure it is as much of a pain as possible.

vpt
04-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Many of mine have. It's really irritating to have to go through them periodically to see what they have changed to THEIR liking. The settings are many layers deep to make it easy to miss some layers and to ensure it is as much of a pain as possible.

Yes, every single time. The one that gets me is the touchpad "tapping" that in order to change is 5-7 "windows" or tabs deep, if I can remember where to even start to get to the setting.

I hate windows 10 Lakeside! Let me hate! :P

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Maybe they know you hate them, ;) I have no such issues. lol

Joel
04-02-2016, 09:53 PM
This is curious.
Have you been keeping an eye on all of the settings (there are a LOT, and not all are particularly 'easy' to get to)? Or, perhaps you didn't turn many of them off and therefore, there was no need for MS to turn them back on.
The guy in the tutorial in post #23 had it happen to him while making the video. I mentioned this annoyance to a friend of mine - he checked and a bunch of his security settings had been changed too.

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 09:58 PM
I think a lot of changes happened before Win10 became "mature"... always check which version someone is talking about when they say things are "happening". Also, are they taking "apps" like IE, or OS settings? Also.. third party drivers for hardware change as they get "10" aware may not adhere to "prior settings" (VPT's Touch pad issue might be one of those). Anything to do with Edge is probably still in flux - no a final version yet, but getting there. I figure about the time you get to pay to upgrade (July) it will be pretty stable. ;)

I just went an perused most of my settings... No changes. And I did turn off pretty much everything I didn't need or considered intrusive, even location services (maps etc.).

Joel
04-02-2016, 10:29 PM
I was late to the upgrade party. Early release installs would surely be a contributor, but is not a reasonable excuse in my case.
Some settings were changed today when I looked again (ironically, one of the ones turned back on was location services). We are talking OS settings (although Edge and IE have changed some settings too). No driver changes, no new software installs, no related changes of any kind. Also, there were new settings set undesirably by default after updates, but this I expect and am not making reference to.

Evan
04-02-2016, 10:41 PM
I dislike it a lot. See the rest in the other thread about cramming it.

ironmonger
04-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Two licensed copies of XP that are never used on the Internet.
I have 4 licensed copies of Windows 7, no problems with them.
I have 4 computers that dual boot with Windows 7 and Linux Mint which I use for all my browsing, my email and most of my office applications.
Linux doesn't phone home.
Wish my phone ran linux...
I never really got over Unca Bill killing off DRDOS and OS/2 Warp

BobSchu
04-02-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm curious what all the fuss is about. From what I've been reading, there has been approx. a 50/50 love/hate split on W10. I can't load it on my computer due to having Nvidia graphics driver on my computer and W10 doesn't play well with it for some reason. I tried to uninstall Nvidia so I could load W10, but couldn't seem to get it to the point where my automatic download would accept it. May be because my computer is pretty old- probably at least 10 years +.

I'm pretty happy with Win 7 at the moment so I don't think I"m missing much.... :)

Bob

Evan
04-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Linux doesn't phone home.

Neither does Win 7 after you disable about 14 mostly hidden services. I haven't yet checked to see just how busy Win 10 is but I am sure it is very busy in that department. Some of those little background chores are very hard to spot. Best way is to just monitor the network connections while not otherwise on line.

macona
04-02-2016, 11:52 PM
Windows 10 runs great. I use it on my gaming machines and most others. Not worried about the call home stuff, I am on the developer program so they have all my machine info anyway.

vpt
04-03-2016, 10:28 AM
I think a lot of changes happened before Win10 became "mature"... always check which version someone is talking about when they say things are "happening". Also, are they taking "apps" like IE, or OS settings? Also.. third party drivers for hardware change and they get "10" aware may not adhere to "prior settings" (VPT's Touch pad issue might be one of those). Anything to do with Edge is probably still in flux - no a final version yet, but getting there. I figure about the time you get to pay to upgrade (July) it will be pretty stable. ;)

I just went an perused most of my settings... No changes. And I did turn off pretty much everything I didn't need or considered intrusive, even location services (maps etc.).

If I am understanding right, it seems you think I updated my puter to windows 10? What happened is I went threw a whole year of fun with my ISP and battling internet cut outs all the time. In the mist of my fun with the ISP (charter btw :mad: ) I bought a new modem, new router, and two brand new puters with windows 10 on them. There was no upgrade to 10.

I hate both of them!

Jon Heron
04-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Wish my phone ran linux...

If its a droid you can run linux on it, there are a few flavors out there now, ask google.
Cheers,
Jon

lakeside53
04-03-2016, 12:24 PM
If I am understanding right, it seems you think I updated my puter to windows 10? What happened is I went threw a whole year of fun with my ISP and battling internet cut outs all the time. In the mist of my fun with the ISP (charter btw :mad: ) I bought a new modem, new router, and two brand new puters with windows 10 on them. There was no upgrade to 10.

I hate both of them!

lol.. Hate will keep you sharp and focused ;)

It really doesn't mater if you bought it installed or upgraded. If you did it before the November release, the same problems existed, and may still do as the oem releases new driver upgrades to "help" you. I'd have certainly downgraded OS versions if I was trying to use the pos July/august release!

Evan
04-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Well, I have been dinking around with Classic Shell and I still cannot get the UI the way I want it. The main problem is that there is no real clear division between the edges of various app windows on the screen. It constantly causes me problems. The active borders don't change like they do in previous versions. I can't make any significant colour changes to exactly what I want. I have poor control over fonts and font sizes and cannot control them everywhere. On and on it goes. Real basic things but it makes it hard to use. The UI is the most important part of any OS or application. I really don't want to spend hours and hours in the registry to see what I can change there but I may just have to do that or downgrade to 7.

I am also running into some incompatibility problems with some USB drivers with no fixes yet available. One in particular is for my pulse/oximeter. It forced me to take my little notepad with me to Victoria just so I could measure my breathing.

dp
04-04-2016, 10:14 AM
[/COLOR]

Neither does Win 7 after you disable about 14 mostly hidden services. I haven't yet checked to see just how busy Win 10 is but I am sure it is very busy in that department. Some of those little background chores are very hard to spot. Best way is to just monitor the network connections while not otherwise on line.

One of the sneakier trackers is the time/date protocol. With OS X (uses ntp) the default time server is an Apple hosted time server farm. Changing it requires editing the /etc/ntp.conf file. I imagine MSFT does the same.

Puckdropper
04-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Watch this. This guy is an Ex-Microsoft Senior Software Developer. He explained 10s phone home stuff so a teen can understand it. Look in the video description for links. IOS and Android are just as bad or even worse.

Disable Windows 10 Spying - Privacy & Security
https://youtu.be/u1kGMCfb2xw

Spybot Anti-Beacon
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

One thing to note: Don't panic about the "bypassing the hosts file" bit. The guy is not aware of how that part of networking works.
Computers talk via IP addresses, and have to convert host names (like homeshopmachinist.net) to IP addresses. It does this by first looking in the local cache, then host file, then asking a name server (DNS). After it gets a result, it saves the result in the cache. Since he had already been to Bing, the address for Bing was already in his cache.

Why not look in the host file or DNS all the time in case the IP address changes? Because it doesn't. Most host names have stable IP addresses and don't keep changing, so doing anything more than looking /where the answer probably is/ is a waste of system resources.

kendall
04-05-2016, 12:08 AM
If interested in experimenting with W10, you can sign up for the insider program and download the tech preview of windows 10. Installing on separate drives is better than dual booting in my opinion.
My operating systems are on their own external drives, easier that way, no boot managers to worry about if I remove an OS, just turn on the drive I want to boot to.

https://insider.windows.com/

Evan
04-05-2016, 01:15 AM
I just this moment got an e-mail from Insider that the Holo Lens is now available. That is something I am interested in. I just love 3D anything.

vpt
04-05-2016, 07:27 AM
I just this moment got an e-mail from Insider that the Holo Lens is now available. That is something I am interested in. I just love 3D anything.

Want to buy some 3D glasses? You put them on and everything you look at is in 3D!

dave_r
04-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Want to buy some 3D glasses? You put them on and everything you look at is in 3D!

This product clearly discriminates against people with one eye. Until it can be redesigned so they can also see in 3D, it must be removed from the market.

loose nut
04-06-2016, 10:41 AM
It's amazing that people, with two eyes, forget that they see everything in 3D except what is on a 2D TV or movie screen and get excited about 3D vision.

GNM109
04-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Win 10 works fine for me. I have it on a desktop and a laptop. No problems.

kendall
04-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Win 10 works fine for me. I have it on a desktop and a laptop. No problems.

I've been using it since the tech preview was first released on the insider program, it's functional and does what it was designed to do. I've not run into any insurmountable problems, but it did take a lot of tweaking to make it work the way I feel an OS should.

One irritating thing is that if you create a microsoft account and password for w10, every account you have with msoft and certain affiliates will switch to the name and password used on w10.
Another, is that when using the Msoft account, every search in cortana and Bing, resulted in related spam in my hotmail account. Switching back to a local account eliminated it.

GNM109
04-06-2016, 03:26 PM
I've been using it since the tech preview was first released on the insider program, it's functional and does what it was designed to do. I've not run into any insurmountable problems, but it did take a lot of tweaking to make it work the way I feel an OS should.

One irritating thing is that if you create a microsoft account and password for w10, every account you have with msoft and certain affiliates will switch to the name and password used on w10.
Another, is that when using the Msoft account, every search in cortana and Bing, resulted in related spam in my hotmail account. Switching back to a local account eliminated it.

Yes, I noticed those issues as well. All that said, it's still going to be a great program with free updates forever, as I was told.

I've not found too much use for Cortana yet but I think with a separate microphone, I may be able to dial "her" in.

RB211
04-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Yes, I noticed those issues as well. All that said, it's still going to be a great program with free updates forever, as I was told.

I've not found too much use for Cortana yet but I think with a separate microphone, I may be able to dial "her" in.

I'd much rather pay money for an operating system than be given a "free" one. Do you like advertisements in your operating system? Nothing is free!
Don't care, I am an Apple guy now.

lakeside53
04-06-2016, 05:43 PM
If you wait until July you will pay for it ;)

Puckdropper
04-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Cortana's great on a phone. It's more convenient to say "Price of Tea in China" than it is to type it with the tiny on-screen keyboard. On the desktop, by the time you get done saying the word "tea" I've got my search engine loading results. She's also great for texting in the car, I wouldn't do it otherwise. You don't realize how incredibly distracting texting is until you see the person completely focus on the phone and not driving. At least calling leaves some attention for the road.

Be sure to ask Cortana "Who's better you or Siri?" and "Who's better you or Google Now?" and "What does the fox say?" Once you tell her where Home is, you can say "Go Home" and she'll give you directions.

On the desktop, um... Well IDK. I'm sticking with the last great OS: Windows 7.

GNM109
04-06-2016, 06:56 PM
I'd much rather pay money for an operating system than be given a "free" one. Do you like advertisements in your operating system? Nothing is free!
Don't care, I am an Apple guy now.

I don't get very many ads, except on Yahoo. Firefox has an ad-blocker that gets rid of some of them. I never read them anyway. I like the pretty colors, too.

lakeside53
04-06-2016, 08:33 PM
I installed ad blocker on Chrome. Very few to no ads. Display of ad's are an app issue, not Win10. Easily blocked.

dave_r
04-06-2016, 10:55 PM
If you wait until July you will pay for it ;)

...and you will still get the advertisements and spam and tracking...

dave_r
04-06-2016, 11:02 PM
I installed ad blocker on Chrome. Very few to no ads. Display of ad's are an app issue, not Win10. Easily blocked.

Not anymore. Microsoft has begun displaying ads on the login screen and in some live tiles.

lakeside53
04-07-2016, 12:28 AM
Not on my computers.... or any at work. Turn your tracking etc stuff off. I did nothing special other than turn off all the relevant stuff, and install ad-blocker on Chrome.

kendall
04-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Not anymore. Microsoft has begun displaying ads on the login screen and in some live tiles.

And that is one service that can't be turned off, the 'startup type' is greyed out, can't be changed, if you stop it, the service restarts instantly. (W10 home version at least)

lakeside53
04-07-2016, 11:38 AM
I didn't fiddle with any of the services, don't use any of the startup mosaic tiles (just delete them), and all mine are Win10-Pro. The corp systems are -Pro also, but are being changed to Enterprise so we can implement (among other things) Group Policy management (which we do on Win7).

kendall
04-07-2016, 03:48 PM
I never hesitate to turn off services, normally experiment on a VM before messing with a working install though.
I have a few services turned off, updates for one. I have satellite internet and leave it off till a weekend then let it update after midnight on my unlimited time.

Evan
04-08-2016, 03:20 AM
I already have a 24" 3D monitor and five sets of wireless 3D glasses. I have been playing with it for several years. 3D is amazing even though it is really only 2.5D. Since it does not have any vertical "D" it is not full 3D. Still, the amount of information carried into the brain is huge compared to 2D. The way we process what we see is very much improved with even 2.5D. I would love to see some sort of true 3D monitor system but am not at all sure just how that would be done.

When I think about things I want to design I very much think in 3D. That has always been the case in how I think. The way I think is very much a sort of internal visual system. It is hard to explain in any way that makes sense but it is just how I work. When I must design something that has screws or bolts that must cross over each other inside the part I somehow automatically am able to take into account how they may interfere with each other and then make sure they do not. The design for my CNC mill was almost entirely within my mind with only a few drawings to clarify just a few things.

These days I usually use 3D CAD because it is easy to use and it does help prevent mistakes. It also makes it a lot easier to calculate just how much material will be required and the shape of the original pieces of material that are needed. If I clearly have more than enough material then the requirement for CAD work is greatly reduced.

With Win 10 what you are able to control or turn off very much depends on having Win 10 Pro. With Pro you then have access to Group Policy which you do not have with Win 10 Home. Group Policy gives nearly total control over the system. If you do have it then keep good notes on what you change because there is no easy full backup system for the Group Policy manager. At least there isn't in Win 7, perhaps they have changed it for Win 10. I haven't been doing much playing in that area yet. With Win 10 Pro you can turn off auto updates completely, which I have done.

lakeside53
04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Yes.... if you want a lot of control you need "Pro" or Enterprise. Home is targeted towards the non-tech owners and it will make decisions for what it thinks is best for you. ;) I mis-spoke before; as Evan said, Pro does have Group Policy Management. I meant to refer to the "Startup screen control by Group policy" - that's only in Enterprise.

I never used for Win7 "home" either; too many limitations for business.

Win10 version comparisons : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

Like Win7, can upgrade Home to Win10-Pro by paying. If you want to go from 32 bit to 64 bit, you need to reinstall.