PDA

View Full Version : Drones Delivering Packages......... Really ????

JoeLee
04-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Every time I hear this on the news I laugh. Am I missing something ???? Most of these drones have a limited range and payload, unless they are some large scale commercial type. But then......... can you imagine the accidents that will happen?????? How are these things going to deliver packages to someones house with out getting tangled up in power lines or trees. You think that UPS has a lot of damage claims now????? what would it be like if they started using these drones???
What about in air failures and collisions, or people getting hit. Can you imagine one delivering your new 8" chuck and dropping it on the hood of you car or the roof of your house??? Think of all the packages on the UPS or FedEx truck that's on your route and every one of these packages being delivered by a drone vs a truck.
The air would be swarming with these things. What about the maintenance and repairs to all of them??? It would be a lot more work than servicing a fleet of trucks.
I just can't see it being practical.

JL................

lakeside53
04-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Two things they are perfect for - cigarettes and marijuana, both legal here, and only an ounce or two.

hephaestus
04-02-2016, 08:39 PM
The size and weight of the packages
would probably be limited I would think,
Otherwise the size of the drones would
probably increase to real helicopter size.
I am curious about the payload capacity
v/s size of the drone though. I guess
part of it would depend on motor size
and battery life too.

Machine
04-02-2016, 09:18 PM
I could see pizza deliveries (maybe you could call it "pie in the sky?" ;-) ), small/lightweight automotive local parts deliveries and similar. Small packages that are delivered to locations that are no more than a coupla miles away as the crow (i.e. drone) flies. I could also see Fed Ex/UPS etc using them to help with normal truck delivery. Many of their packages are quite small and lightweight. I could see the trucks delivering to a local area, the small lightweight stuff is unloaded at a central facility and "droned" to customers living close by, where the larger/heavier packages would still be delivered by truck. That right there would save the commercial carriers a lot of money if it could be worked out as practical.

Whoever used them (as a business) would need to hire someone to fly it and also keep the drone charged and going - until tech developed to the point it could truly fly end-to-end and back autonomously and completely safely. Downsides I could see right off would be liability. One falls out of the sky or crashes into something or someone for whatever reason (mechanical failure, human error etc) and all of a sudden you have a very expensive pizza delivery. Also, not everyone would be easily and safely serviced by a drone. People living in houses with good aerial access might not be too bad, but many don't have easily accessible landing areas (due to foliage, trees, bushes, cars in the way, dogs running around outside etc). Many more live in apartment complexes or townhomes, again posing challenges for a safe landing area that is accessible to the customer. There would have to be a mindset change, where everyone with a residential home had a "mini-heliport" that was able to safely accommodate a drone for deliveries. And apartment complexes etc would need a similar drone landing port that would serve as a common delivery area for residents. That part at least is pretty doable I think. Just takes changing mindsets and pretty simple accommodations. The rest of it? Not so sure the liability part will be overcome in a long time; lawyers rule our society.

hephaestus
04-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I could see the service using cell phone
location or locating for delivery, that way
you could step outside in a clear area
or what ever and it could home in on you.

flylo
04-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I love to shoot & hope they deliver in my area as I won't even have to say "Pull". It will be like the carnival, aprize with every hit:rolleyes:

GEP
04-02-2016, 10:59 PM
I want one to spy on the good looking ladies

Black_Moons
04-02-2016, 11:33 PM
I want one to spy on the good looking ladies

And you sir are why we can't have nice things.

hephaestus
04-02-2016, 11:50 PM
I love to shoot & hope they deliver in my area as I won't even have to say "Pull". It will be like the carnival, aprize with every hit:rolleyes: If you were really going to do this, do you think you should post it for the world to see ?

justanengineer
04-03-2016, 01:12 AM
If you were really going to do this, do you think you should post it for the world to see ?

So long as the drone is below 500' and over his property he's golden. In most areas if the operator isnt within visual range, is over city limits, or on a common flight path the case has also been made in the interests of public safety. The real reason why drone delivery services likely wont succeed is that there are quite a few laws on the books already that forbid it. It is like 3d printing tho in that it stirs the imaginations of the gullible so makes good news.

Before we left Indiana, last summer the local branch of a major news network in our lil city caught a hefty fine from the FAA bc they used a drone to film a city festival at night and broke every one of the last three - 1. flying in the approach route for the local U's airport, 2. over city limits, and 3. outside visual range bc it was nighttime. A flight instructor who is in the local drone/RC club saw the news story and reported them.

flylo
04-03-2016, 01:21 AM
If you were really going to do this, do you think you should post it for the world to see ?

Sure, I actually have a nice drone with a go pro camera & had a military totally whaite good size silent drone fly within a mile of the farm, no markings at all so must have been a UFO to me & a friend at least.

Rosco-P
04-03-2016, 08:00 AM
I love to shoot & hope they deliver in my area as I won't even have to say "Pull". It will be like the carnival, aprize with every hit:rolleyes:

It's been done already. One town has already enacted a "Blow them out of the sky." ordinance.
I'm in complete agreement.

I haven't read anywhere where Amazon is seriously considering drone deliveries. They are starting up their own fleet of delivery vehicles operated by humans though.

Seastar
04-03-2016, 08:59 AM
I have seen three drones while flying near my home airport (KUMP).
Two were very small and probably would not have caused me to crash had we collided.
The other was very large and probably was military.
All were about 1000' AGL.
Those damn things are scary.
The new FAA rules will have no effect IMHO.
Bill

Rosco-P
04-03-2016, 09:50 AM
The new FAA rules will have no effect IMHO.
Bill

The new systems at airports will force drones that violate the perimeter to land.
The new rules rules should allow prosecution of the dumb-asses enjoying their "hobby".

Lew Hartswick
04-03-2016, 09:52 AM
flylo : I've read and re-read and still can't figgure out what that word is suppose to be in the quote < military totally whaite good size silent drone>
whaite ?????
...lew...

JoeLee
04-03-2016, 10:00 AM
I love to shoot & hope they deliver in my area as I won't even have to say "Pull". It will be like the carnival, aprize with every hit:rolleyes:This has already happened a few times. I can't remember where I last heard of an incident where someone shot a drone out of the air because it was flying over their property.

JL..............

vpt
04-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Can't lift anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apwZPsUDj3Q

Rosco-P
04-03-2016, 10:21 AM
This has already happened a few times. I can't remember where I last heard of an incident where someone shot a drone out of the air because it was flying over their property.

JL..............

http://www.cnet.com/news/judge-rules-man-had-right-to-shoot-down-drone-over-his-house/

GEP
04-03-2016, 10:23 AM

Yea you have a drone just like you have airplanes unfinished kit planes hanging of the rafters in your building, that you did not build. Quit your bragging
people remember your conflicting story's

sasquatch
04-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Be interesting when an eagle attacks the drone, (which has happened,) and you get a message from the supplier saying your'e part is backordered due to,,,,

Arcane
04-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Can't lift anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apwZPsUDj3Q

Related video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfa9HrieUyQ

Paul Alciatore
04-03-2016, 12:28 PM
I think the word was "await".

And I think you meant "figure".

flylo : I've read and re-read and still can't figgure out what that word is suppose to be in the quote < military totally whaite good size silent drone>
whaite ?????
...lew...

dp
04-03-2016, 01:00 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DRONE_DELIVERY_NEVADA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-03-25-19-42-53

They're going to be used to deliver golf balls and refreshments soon, too.

CarlByrns
04-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Sure, I actually have a nice drone with a go pro camera

Well, with the recent court decision, I can legally shoot yours down if I merely think it might be spying on me, regardless of eyewitness testimony or flight recorder data to the contrary.

I'm just waiting for some goober to gun down an ultralight for the same reason.

phil burman
04-03-2016, 08:43 PM
They will need to include artificial intelligence in order to outwit the local kids trying to steal it and some weaponry for pre-emptive strikes against any potentially wrong-minded, gun toting rednecks.

Phil:)

justanengineer
04-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Well, with the recent court decision, I can legally shoot yours down if I merely think it might be spying on me, regardless of eyewitness testimony or flight recorder data to the contrary.

I'm just waiting for some goober to gun down an ultralight for the same reason.

In this case tho neither was really to the contrary. Neighbors testified they saw the drone below treetop level on several occasions, Boggs' contention was that Meredith wasnt justified to shoot his drone bc flight data shows it was much higher while over his property. The judge said it was inconsequential bc even at that higher altitude the drone violated Meredith's private air space and could be viewed as harassing so he was justified.

This isnt any landmark ruling, similar rulings have been made in the past against piloted aircraft and I highly doubt it will in any way affect anyone other than dummies playing with toys without educating themselves as to the legal ramifications.

Black Forest
04-04-2016, 02:24 AM
I think the word was "await".

And I think you meant "figure".

I believe he meant "white"

RancherBill
04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Dateline 1903
Kitty Hawk

The Wright Brothers flew there airplane for 59 seconds over a distance of 852 feet. They claim that it will usher in a new era.

LMAO these guys have got to be kidding, a new ERA. haha

Dateline 27 April 2005.
Toulouse France
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/1er_vol_de_l%27_A380.jpg

CarlByrns
04-05-2016, 07:43 AM
In this case tho neither was really to the contrary. Neighbors testified they saw the drone below treetop level on several occasions, Boggs' contention was that Meredith wasnt justified to shoot his drone bc flight data shows it was much higher while over his property. The judge said it was inconsequential bc even at that higher altitude the drone violated Meredith's private air space and could be viewed as harassing so he was justified.

1) Humans are lousy at estimating height. ANy police officer will tell you eyewitness testimony is very unreliable.

2) The FDR showed unequivocally that the quad was higher and further away than the shooter stated. The quad clipped a corner of the shooter's property- it was nowhere near the house. The judge did not look at the evidence, period.

3) There is no private airspace- the FAA believes it owns it all from ground to space (called 'the national airspace').

Axkiker
04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Back when the report of Amazon using drones first came out I told a friend there was no way. I said around this neck of the woods they would be shooting them down for sport.

The guy who shot down the drone was not even 5 miles from my house. LOL

Shooter lied about where drone actually was.... Chargers dropped against shooter.

elf
04-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Would you shoot this drone (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/technology/drones-marshaled-to-drop-lifesaving-supplies-over-rwandan-terrain.html?_r=0) down?

Magicniner
04-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Wanna Buy A Drone Mister?
Low hours, only one previous owner ;-)
If implemented Pizza delivery drones will become the next big "gray" export to Pakistan :D

dp
04-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Maybe we should rethink this entire drone thing. Crazies have found them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Viwwetf0gU

Black_Moons
04-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Nah, what we need is bigger drones and they can take over additional services.

'911 whats your emergency'
'a man has been shot'
'ok just carry him into the open and put the amazon locating beacon on his forehead and we will pick him up momentarily'

RancherBill
04-08-2016, 12:35 AM
Ambulance drones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-rEI4bezWc
http://qz.com/655314/google-wants-to-call-drones-to-medical-emergencies-at-the-push-of-a-button/

Medical drones
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/medical-drone-makes-house-calls-in-the-remote-mountains-of-virginia/
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11367274/zipline-drone-delivery-rwanda-medicine-blood

...and yahoos will be out with shotguns...