PDA

View Full Version : clausing parts

badsix
04-11-2016, 11:24 AM
my boy just bought a Clausing model 111 lathe that we want to restore. but one of the gears is missing a few teeth, does anyone here know were we could look to find one.
thanks Jay D.

bborr01
04-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Clausing is still in business in Kalamazoo Michigan and sell parts. Google them. I have bought parts from them in the last couple of years.

Brian

Mcgyver
04-11-2016, 12:03 PM
my boy just bought a Clausing model 111 lathe that we want to restore. but one of the gears is missing a few teeth, does anyone here know were we could look to find one.
thanks Jay D.

check with Clausing, but OEM parts can be 4x what they should be. you've got the gear, so measure away and do a sketch. Get a quote from a machine shop or maybe there's a stock gear you can modify to suit.

Most (all) of these places no longer have manufacturing. I had one lathe manufacture, who used another in the States for distribution, state that when they're asked for a part they sent the drawings out for a quote, double that cost and the distributor doubles it again.....so it might be worth making your drawing and going direct.....its at least worth checking their price this way.

sarge41
04-11-2016, 01:45 PM
badsix: Years ago (about twenty something), I needed a halfnut for my 13 X 36 Clausing/Colchester. It uses a one-sided halfnut. I called Clausing in Michigan and they quoted me a price of almost $500.00. i wound up making my own halfnut and still have the other half. When you make one, you wind up making two halves. Mcgyver has it figured out, they just job it out and then doubles the price. Good luck.

Sarge

john hobdeclipe
04-11-2016, 02:08 PM
The gears may be standard change gears that are available from gear manufacturers like Boston, Linn, Martin, and others. What are the measurements...bore, key configuration, diametral pitch and width?

badsix
04-11-2016, 04:40 PM
we just got it home and haven't had time to take it apart. but its the gear right behind the chuck looks like it might be a clutch gear of some sort. it has a small knob on the hub side and a couple threaded bolts. its a straight cut gear looked it up in a parts book its the BULL GEAR that we need hope to find a good used one.
Jay D.

flylo
04-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Here's there contact info Address: 1819 N Pitcher St, Kalamazoo, MI 49007
Phone:(269) 345-7155 www.clausing-industrial.com Great folks to deal with. I'm not sure which model that is but a local auction had an india made enterprise(beam me up scotty) model L Badged Clausing. I'd look on ebay & companies that part out machines. Clausing should e-mail a parts book & operators manual n/c. Good luck!

lbhsbz
04-11-2016, 11:11 PM
There's a reason Clausing still has parts in stock for these old machines...they think they're made of gold. I called up for a replacement gear for an old 4800 series I used to have that was missing 2 teeth and they wanted something like $700 IIRC. Keep it.

I can't remember where I posted the question, but someone suggested to grind out the rest of the tooth, drill some radial holes, press in pins, then hand file to shape the tooth. I used a 16 penny framing nail...3 pins per tooth, took about 20 minutes to fix it and the thing ran another 4 years without issue.

Rich Carlstedt
04-12-2016, 12:05 AM
I had the exact opposite experience with Clausing 12 years ago.
Picked up a 6300 lathe ( 1963) and it had a bad gear in the carriage apron.
Looking at the gear, I estimated it to cost 200 dollars, but when I called them, it was $ 35 .
They must use LIFO inventory costs and this probably set on the shelf at the original cost.
They are extremely helpful and sent me a drawing of the Quick Change gear box name plate at no cost
as mine was unreadable. I made one from the print

Don't knock them till you try calling !
Rich