X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Axkiker
    • Jun 2014

Tapmatic R5

Anyone familiar with the Tapmatic R5 tapping head? It appears to accept the same tap sizes as the 50X but the entire unit is a lot bigger. I searched but didnt really come up with much information on them. Im trying to decide weather to keep one of the 50X units I have or the R5.

Thanks
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

The R and Rx series IIRC have ball clutches instead of friction clutches and are intended for high production tapping with short cycle times.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Axkiker
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
      The R and Rx series IIRC have ball clutches instead of friction clutches and are intended for high production tapping with short cycle times.

http://www.tapmatic.com/product_line...ing_heads.ydev

You beat me to responding. I called Tapmattic and they basically said the same thing. They said the R5 was more rugged but not as sensitive as the 50X due to using a ball detent style clutch. He also mentioned parts for the R5 were no longer available.

So now I have a dilemma. out of the 3 tapping heads I have the r5 is in the best shape. All units work correctly but you can tell the 50x units have been used a lot more.

So do I keep the R5 knowing I will not be able to get parts or a 50X. I guess maybe I need to use both and see what style works best for me.

Comment

• Seastar
        • Jan 2005

Sounds like you should keep both.
        Bill
        I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Working...
        X