• elf
    • May 2011

Homemade lathe from motorcycle parts

Shows what you can do with little.

p.s
    Agents of OSHA should not watch.
  • Paul Alciatore
    • May 2002

Very clever man. He built a grown up Unimat.
    Paul A.
    s
    Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• Rosco-P
      • Mar 2012

Another Darwin Award candidate, smelting and pouring molten metal in shorts and sandals.

Comment

• JoeLee
        • Aug 2009

I want to see someone make one out of a potato peeler.

JL................

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
          • Aug 2002

The secret, after myself having done many castings Dental castings, Using the lost wax method of course but even here without the lost wax the secret is in the preparation( and not pouring with bare feet) sorry couldn't resist that. Just plain madness really .
          If you get the mould carefully made taking a bit more time, so as to remove a lot of the excess metal being cast, which will eventually need to be removed after casting, which makes little sense to me sorry. Get the initial mould as near as perfect *IF YOU CAN* ,of course to the end shape required. And save yourself a lot of unnecessary metal removal. Otherwise good idea to use scrap aluminium. .Now where did that patient run off to the one with the aluminium teeth. LOL Alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• flylo
            • Apr 2011

I'm sure most of you know about the small lathe made by prisoners in a WWII Japanese POW camp http://machineshop.olin.edu/resource...mp%20Lathe.pdf

Comment

• Rosco-P
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by flylo View Post
              I'm sure most of you know about the small lathe made by prisoners in a WWII Japanese POW camp http://machineshop.olin.edu/resource...mp%20Lathe.pdf
              That's a scan of pages from the Machinist's Bedside Reader.

Comment

• PStechPaul
                • Oct 2013

I had not seen that before. Very interesting! I noticed that page 159 was missing.

There was also a lathe (and other machine tools) made using concrete and scrap parts from cars and other things:

In WWII, Lucien Yeomans patented an idea for cheap lathes made from concrete, pre-fab metal and jigs to place the parts. Now the design is open source.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Norman Bain
                  • Apr 2012

I am impressed he got as much of it going as well as he did. Being prepared to design then weld all those bits together to make gearboxes etc etc was impressive. Some of us with better kit to do the works with should be humbled.

Cheers,
                  Norman

Comment

• flylo
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                    That's a scan of pages from the Machinist's Bedside Reader.
                    It's a story all over the net. Her's an article about the camp, the radio & generator the made the lathe & soldering iron to build. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_Lintang_camp

Comment

• sasquatch
                      • May 2006

Thanks for the very interesting read Flylo! Offsets the negative comments!

Comment

• loose nut
                        • Sep 2006

As the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" and he didn't pay much.

Nothing wrong with building your own tools but there are better and more accurate ways to do it. The homemade drill press worked well enough.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• Jimmer12
                          • Oct 2012

I'm not exactly sure what he accomplished by casting a ring and then turning it to a geometric shape. I would have been impressed if he casted something to an actual unique shape.

Comment

• Magicniner
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jimmer12 View Post
                            I'm not exactly sure what he accomplished by casting a ring and then turning it to a geometric shape.
                            I think he simply obtained a piece of stock from which he could machine the part he wanted, that's a big lump of plate or bar if you're somewhere without much money or a local metals stockist ;-)

- Nick
                            If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

• Forrest Addy
                              • Oct 2002

My hat's off to the guy. As a machine tool it has obvious deficiencies but as a scratch built machine tool built on the cheap with limited resources it's quite an accomplishment. Machinists 150 years ago built the working parts of the Industrial Revolution using machine tools not much better.

While this home built machine tool may not compete in productivity with a factory built machine I'm quite sure a capable fellow working with care can make any part within its work envelope that does nor require turned screw threads, and, truly cylindrical or flat features may be a real challenge for its axis geometry.

An unthinking person may belittle this endeavor and make disparaging comparisons but the fact remains: it is a lathe/milling machine with limited utility built by an individual of no small talent and remarkable determination. I'm sure none of the scoffers and sneerers have ever scratch-built anything 1/10 the complexity and utillity of the targer of their scorn and worked it through to completion: sour grapes redeux
                              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 05-04-2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X