X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Forest
    • Jan 2010

Material for band brake

What material could I use to line a band brake that is used for parking only? The band is around one foot in diameter when mounted. It is 28mm wide. This is for a small tractor.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!
  • JCHannum
    • Nov 2001

Flexible brake band material is available from many sources. I recently purchased some from McMaster Carr. McM is not handy in Germany, but there are sure to be similar sources.
    Jim H.

Comment

• EddyCurr
      • May 2009

How big is your waist?

A 12" diameter gives a circumference close to 38". By the time some of us removed the
      buckle at one end and the notched portion at the other end of a man's leather waist belt,
      we'd have something suitable in hand for that application of yours.

Comment

• Black_Moons
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
        How big is your waist?

A 12" diameter gives a circumference close to 38". By the time some of us removed the
        buckle at one end and the notched portion at the other end of a man's leather waist belt,
        Hey! My waist resembles that remark! *shakes fist*
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• radkins
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
          How big is your waist?

I did that about 15 years ago on a small hydrostatic drive tractor where the brake band served only as a parking brake, over the years it has actually served as a stopping brake many times but then from the size of the brake he describes I am sure his tractor is a heck of a lot heavier than mine. Although it might sound like a backwards thing to do when the leather glazed over and was dried out I wiped it in a light oil and diesel mixture to soften it and the darn thing holds better than it did dry!

Comment

• CCWKen
            • Jan 2003

Ford Model Ts used wood or woven cotton bands in the transmission. (Primary brake drum inside.) The parking brake was metal-to-metal on the rear axle brake drums. Modern replacements now include Kevlar for the transmission bands and friction brake lining for the rear drums. Since it's a parking brake, just about any material could be used. You didn't mention if the lining was riveted or glued to the band.

Comment

• boslab
              • Dec 2007

Signode steel banding?
              Mark

Comment

• Black Forest
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                Signode steel banding?
                Mark
                Hey Mark, that sounds like I would have to go to a sex shop to get some of that material!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• HWooldridge
                  • Jan 2006

Leather works well if it is subject to being contaminated with oil or grease. I tried commercial brake liner on a Beaudry power hammer brake and it would slip once any lube got on it. I replaced it with a piece of saddle leather and that solved the problem quite handily since leather will grip even when wet.

Comment

• Black Forest
                    • Jan 2010

Leather is the easiest for me. I have whole sides of Herman Oak leather and all the tools to work it.

Now what steel should I use for the actual bands? One side has only the two ends of the band and the other the band is rusted in half.

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

The bands,I would look at steel banding material or failing that some thin stainless.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• EddyCurr
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                        Signode steel banding?
                        Mark
                        Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                        The bands,I would look at steel banding material or failing that some thin stainless.
                        Also known as pallet strapping.

Signode is a significant producer.

Comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses. You'll want to visit the
                        loading dock areas of companies that ship objects on pallets secured
                        with banding strap and ask nicely for some lengths.

If you get it fresh, there is often perfectly good used strapping being
                        tossed into the scrap bins at sites that receive objects on pallets.

Comment

• boslab
                          • Dec 2007

That's the stuff, very handy stuff, I always keep some for odd brackets, exhaust straps, even repaired a band brake on a 1000 ton gantry that was stuck on a ladle cooking the ropes, I did not fancy a rope change, not 108 falls of 2" cable at 2 in the morning
                          It's hard to drill but a Whitney punch goes through nice, I used solid rivets, snap and set too, never thought learning that would be handy
                          Mark

Comment

• Illinoyance
                            • Sep 2015

You asked about lining so I assume you already have the steel band. I suggest looking for a repair shop that does truck brakes. They probably stock lining material and would be capable of riveting the lining to the band.

Comment

• PStechPaul
                              • Oct 2013

I found a band brake for a scooter that might work for a small tractor:

Not bad for $4.50. It might also work well for a spindle brake on a lathe or milling machine.
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X