PDA

View Full Version : More DRO questions

Seastar
05-25-2016, 11:57 AM
I would like to add a DRO to my second lathe.
I need to keep the price reasonable but do not want glass scales because they fail with coolant or chip intrusion. I've had that problem.
I would like to use magnetic scales like on my mill because they can be cut to size and are more robust than glass.
Problem is, the only company I can find that sells a magnetic scale is DRO PROS.
Their product is very good but also relatively expensive.
Anyone know of a low cost magnetic scale supplier?
Bill

MaxHeadRoom
05-25-2016, 02:41 PM
There are several out there try a search using inductosyn as well as magnetic measuring scales, There is a UK company that use the inductosyn principle that uses ball bearings in a tube based on the inductosyn principle, Newall scales, but still expensive.
Also Mitutoyo.
Max.

Doozer
05-25-2016, 08:22 PM
I would consider Newall scales of the magnetic type
but most others that are calling themselves magnetic
(including Mititoyo) are actually capacitive inference.
Calling them magnetic is a misnomer.

--Doozer

MaxHeadRoom
05-25-2016, 11:30 PM
Many operate on the Inductosyn principle now, including Mitutoyo etc.
https://project-wire-scanner.web.cern.ch/project-wire.../rapport_inductosyn.pdf
Max.

Boostinjdm
05-25-2016, 11:35 PM
I would like to add a DRO to my second lathe.
I need to keep the price reasonable but do not want glass scales because they fail with coolant or chip intrusion. I've had that problem.
I would like to use magnetic scales like on my mill because they can be cut to size and are more robust than glass.
Problem is, the only company I can find that sells a magnetic scale is DRO PROS.
Their product is very good but also relatively expensive.
Anyone know of a low cost magnetic scale supplier?
Bill

Worth it.

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-25-2016, 11:53 PM
How do you have them installed, since I've had zero failed glass scales due to said issues and these have been in daily use roughly 20 years.

CalM
05-25-2016, 11:59 PM
How do you have them installed, since I've had zero failed glass scales due to said issues and these have been in daily use roughly 20 years.

I can second the comment from Jaakko.

It's glass for me. I've had trouble with the Sphero-syn readers, but the scales work great!