PDA

View Full Version : The Impossible done on a milling machine

fastfire
05-27-2016, 12:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgPOJPTo_A

:p

GKman
05-27-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this one, I skipped it. It's absolutely incredible the terrible diy videos posted on youtube. Man made a simple tool to tighten bands on CV boots and made a video. Simple, ingenious, saved me buying an overpriced one. At least the video was short, most waste an incredible amount of time. The problem with this one? The camera moved and wasn't showing what he was doing and it took me several times through it to sort it out. Less than two minutes long and he couldn't re-make it? Then there is "Here's my favorite rock song blaring as a soundtrack." He working toward an academy award for modifying a mole trap?

Magicniner
05-27-2016, 07:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgPOJPTo_A

:p

It's just a ploy to distract from the EDM project which sank without trace, presumably taking the Patreon funding with it ;-)

- Nick

vpt
05-27-2016, 07:58 AM
While this has been posted already I saw some thing interesting. Why does the guy in the video move everything on the mill the opposite way he intends to go before moving said "stuff in the right direction? It even seems he starts the spindle in the wrong direction and then flips the switch the right way. Every time he moves the table he always goes the wrong way first then the right way.

mars-red
05-27-2016, 08:12 AM
LOL if you guys are looking for stone-faced serious machining videos, then our friend AvE is the wrong channel for you to be looking at. He makes some of the most entertaining videos I've come across.

Mcgyver
05-27-2016, 08:20 AM
must be an Idaho thing :)

JCHannum
05-27-2016, 08:32 AM
This has been posted before (twice today). It is a satire on all the poorly done, worthless machining videos presently on YouTube. As such, it is pretty well done and manages to include most of the faults and foibles.

I rarely watch any of the vids from end to end. Most I shut off after the first few seconds of droning narrative, loud hard rock music and seasick inducing camera technique. The good ones, I fast forward through a couple of minutes at a time.

I don't feel the possession of a video camera, or now a smart phone qualifies one as a machining expert. nor do I think a video is a substitute for a few photos and a short summary of a project.

Doozer
05-27-2016, 08:32 AM
While this has been posted already I saw some thing interesting. Why does the guy in the video move everything on the mill the opposite way he intends to go before moving said "stuff in the right direction? It even seems he starts the spindle in the wrong direction and then flips the switch the right way. Every time he moves the table he always goes the wrong way first then the right way.

I was watching this HVAC guy on Youtube and he was using the battery drill
with a 1/4" hex driver socket in it to take apart and install the sheet metal
covers on the AC units. Well, every time he would go to use the drill to say,
take out a screw, it would be in tighten direction. The threads would strip,
and then he would flip the drill to reverse and take out the (then stripped out)
screw. Same thing when putting the panels back on. The drill would be in
reverse as he first proceeded to try and install the screw. So it would wallow
in reverse and do nothing to start the screw until he figured the drill was in
the wrong direction again. I watched a few of this guy's videos, and the same
mistake each and every time that he tried to take out or reinstall a sheet metal
screw. Not without fail. This joker was a true jack nut of the lowest denominator,
leaving a trail of stripped out sheet metal HVAC equipment screw holes where
ever he went. And to hear him talk, he thinks he is setting the world on fire
for being the best in the business. Mental illness at it's finest.

--Doozer

RB211
05-27-2016, 09:15 AM
This has been posted before (twice today). It is a satire on all the poorly done, worthless machining videos presently on YouTube. As such, it is pretty well done and manages to include most of the faults and foibles.

I rarely watch any of the vids from end to end. Most I shut off after the first few seconds of droning narrative, loud hard rock music and seasick inducing camera technique. The good ones, I fast forward through a couple of minutes at a time.

I don't feel the possession of a video camera, or now a smart phone qualifies one as a machining expert. nor do I think a video is a substitute for a few photos and a short summary of a project.

The few GOOD channels will only become more popular

Baz
05-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Why do people post video links without having the common courtesy to mention it is about a twat sticking a potato in a milling machine to save us wasting time looking at it?

Andre3127
05-27-2016, 06:14 PM
Don't take him too seriously....not everybody on youtube who owns a mill has to or wants to be a machinist. He has lots of great content, one of my favorite youtube channels.

Mcgyver
05-27-2016, 07:17 PM
got to agree with Baz.....not for me to tell anyone what they should like, but a 'stupid potato milling video' heads up would have been courteous. One good thing about PM is strict reinforcement of "meaningful subject titles", whatever the subject, its good way to go. We dont need a rule, but it would be nice if it was the social norm

fastfire
05-27-2016, 09:17 PM
It's entertaining! If you have a sense of humor.

PStechPaul
05-27-2016, 11:40 PM
I've seen it before, and it's not funny the second time around. I agree that thread titles should be more descriptive. Here's another similar video, on "organic machining" on a lathe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbgJpF1KoEI

He also has some interesting cooking videos that involve machine tools, like "Tetty Pot":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoXcKiHDag

vpt
05-28-2016, 08:00 AM
I forgot to make a video of the toothpick I made.

http://i.imgur.com/24bKn7s.jpg?1

studentjim
05-28-2016, 08:20 AM
One surely needs a sense of nonsense to make a waste of time video like this.

Mcgyver
05-28-2016, 08:35 AM
It's entertaining! If you have a sense of humor.

so, by inference, in being accused of a lack of sense of humour, I watched a couple of minutes of it. I suggest if you have a sense of humour this is not funny, it's just stupid. but we have realize humour isn't one size fits all. You find fault in someone not thinking its funny. I don't fault you for finding it funny though, I fault you for the meaningless topic title which could have been "OT, funny potato milling video" or more accurately "really stupid un-funny potato milling video if you want to waste your time" (that was funnier that the vid) :D

Black Forest
05-28-2016, 10:48 AM
The man that made the video is a smart guy. The title of the video gets lots of hits so he gets paid more. He isn't trying to educate anyone. He is just logging hits so he gets paid more. Same old story. I noticed the video had over a million views. This speaks to the mentality of the world we live in now. Good content on TV doesn't get watched by many. Now put a dumb reality show on and the network makes money.

So the joke is on us not him.:cool:

And I agree that the title of this thread should have pointed out that the video was a farce and had no real content.

JCHannum
05-28-2016, 11:29 AM
No one is forced to open any thread. If you are curious as to content, you can hover your cursor over the thread title and the first few lines of the thread will be revealed.

No one is forced to view the entire content of a video, if you do, don't blame someone else for wasting your time.

Black Forest
05-28-2016, 02:15 PM
No one is forced to open any thread. If you are curious as to content, you can hover your cursor over the thread title and the first few lines of the thread will be revealed.

No one is forced to view the entire content of a video, if you do, don't blame someone else for wasting your time.

In this case I don't agree with you. Nothing in the title or in the first post says anything about what the video is about. So you do have to spend time to start the video and find out it is crap. That is wasting my time caused by the OP. Now if it was a video by Gbrittnell the title of the video would be accurate and absolutely not a waste of anyone's time.

The OP could have merely stated in the first post the video is not a serious video. Then it would be on us to decide to waste time to view it or not. As the original post stands it leads one to believe that a skilled machinist is pushing the boundaries on a mill.

I think the OP owes all of us at least 10 bucks apiece.

dave_r
05-28-2016, 03:35 PM
I forgot to make a video of the toothpick I made.

http://i.imgur.com/24bKn7s.jpg?1

yup, there's a toothpick in there somewhere. it's all about removing the wood that isn't a toothpick.

flylo
05-28-2016, 04:47 PM
I think you can get a chopstick out of that, then later on make the chopstick a toothpick, do a 3 hour video & waste our time even more than the dumb*ss potato video.

Mcgyver
05-28-2016, 04:55 PM
I think the OP owes all of us at least 10 bucks apiece.

and the first round

fastfire
05-29-2016, 01:12 AM
and the first round

How bout some fries?

Rosco-P
05-29-2016, 07:11 AM
How bout some fries?

...or some tater-tots.

Mcgyver
05-29-2016, 10:49 AM
How bout some fries?

ok, that was good....you do have a sense of humour :D

ed_h
05-29-2016, 11:02 AM
I've watched most of AvE's videos. I find many of them interesting and most of them humorous.

I also find it humorous that some who thought the video was a waste of time will waste more time saying so.

Ed

wierdscience
05-29-2016, 12:26 PM
leaving a trail of stripped out sheet metal HVAC equipment screw holes where
ever he went. And to hear him talk, he thinks he is setting the world on fire
for being the best in the business. Mental illness at it's finest.

--Doozer

Apparently that's in the curriculum in HVAC school.Only putting the two remaining partially stripped screws back in,charging for 4x's the amount of refrigerant the unit will hold and claiming to be the best in the bizz ;)

cameron
05-29-2016, 03:23 PM
If the value of some annoyed members time was as valuable as they think it is, they should have been doing something useful with it, not wasting it on the internet.

RB211
05-29-2016, 06:20 PM
If the value of some annoyed members time was as valuable as they think it is, they should have been doing something useful with it, not wasting it on the internet.
I don't know, I just walked across the street to Walmart to watch people and decide on a microwave dinner... Couldn't make up my mind, so bought some day old popcorn chicken for a nice discount. Still think that potato video was a bigger waste of my time.

flylo
05-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Walmart, now that's a whole another waste of time.