• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Fixit
    • Nov 2010

Milling machine fixture crane idea!

Hello Group,

I have a Bridgeport clone and was thinking about making a jib crane for my rotary table, angle plate and even my vise. The idea I have is, build the crane so that it mounts on the back end of the headstock ram where there is a flat area with a hole for the cable to run through the center of the vertical post of the crane and be able to pick up things on either side and place it on the mill table. I was thinkingt the arm would be able to pivot up and over the motor to get to either side. I have a servo motor and was going to put it on the floor behind the mill to wind the cable up or down to do the lifting.
    I hope I've described it well enough to get feedback as to weather it might work or be a disaster just in concept!
    Look forward to the discussion.

TX
    Mr Fixit for the family
    Chris 😃
  • Optics Curmudgeon
    • Jul 2006

Check out post #26 in this thread:

Comment

• Mr Fixit
      • Nov 2010

Optics,
      Excellent find! Thanks, that is what I have in mind with a bit taller post and the cable being wound up or down on the floor by an electric motor.

TX
      Mr fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

• CalM
        • Sep 2013

A lift table that can be wheeled up to the table is an option to be considered. after all, if the device is on a crane, you likely want to set it down somewhere.

Comment

• platypus2020
          • May 2007

I made mine with one of the pickup truck bed cranes from Harbor Freight, mounting it to a plate above the ram support on my round ram Bridgeport.
          jack

Comment

• daGrouch
            • Oct 2013

Makes me glad I have a small machine. Like closet space or grocery shopping with a big buggy - I'd find more stuff to fill it with.

Eddie "Thread Killer" daGrouch (YouTube channel)
            Smithy CB-1220 (Clark CL500M)

Sometimes ya gotta re-invent the wheel to learn how to make wheels.

Comment

• flylo
              • Apr 2011

Another option is a push around forklift with the steel dieplate that pins on to make it a flat lift table. They are 12v, lift 6', have a built in charger & the up switch on the lift handle was always bad but is an easy fix when I bought them. I have one with adjustable legs to straddle a pallet, also has adjustable forks. I have one with a hand hand lever ,no 12v that works just as well, 3 all together 2 1500# rated & 1 2000# & always paid less than $100. Very handy around the shop even with 2 fork lifts.

Comment

Working...
              X