PDA

View Full Version : Question for the ER collet users.

oxford
06-02-2016, 07:57 PM
I have always used standard r8 collets but they bought an ER collet chuck for the mill at work, it is either a 32 or 40. Can you use a standard end doubled ended end mill in them or is it single only? I ask because it doesn't seem like something goes up in the collet very far. Thanks.

Toolguy
06-02-2016, 08:11 PM
The ER collets are not very deep compared to an R8 collet. The smaller sizes of double end mills will be OK, maybe up to 1/4" diameter, maybe even 3/8. After that it's single end only.

CalM
06-02-2016, 08:54 PM
I've drilled my NMTB 30-ER32 tool holder to allow a little more room inside. It wasn't hard (EMT brand)

Do the math though, and don't drill through the pull threads

TGTool
06-02-2016, 09:30 PM
There's nothing about the ER collet spec that's limiting but the body it's mounted to could have either a through or blind hole. I got an ER-20 and was disappointed at not being able to hold anything very long until I figured out there was a screw in the drilled bore that could be removed.

CalM
06-02-2016, 10:35 PM
There's nothing about the ER collet spec that's limiting but the body it's mounted to could have either a through or blind hole. I got an ER-20 and was disappointed at not being able to hold anything very long until I figured out there was a screw in the drilled bore that could be removed.

;-))

Paul Alciatore
06-03-2016, 01:28 PM
I purchased a set of small ER collets for use with my Unimat. I bought the nut but made the collet holder myself. I wanted them to hold both work and tools (milling cutters) so I definitely made sure the holder had a through hole that matched the bore of the spindle so it would not limit the use of long stock. As stated above, three is nothing in the collets themselves that prevent this. This is true for all the sizes of ERs.

oxford
06-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Thanks. Looks like the answer is either buy the single ended end mills or bore a hole through this thing.