PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used TurnMaster Pro CNC software?

Doc Nickel
06-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Is anyone familiar with MicroKinetics TurnMaster Pro (http://www.microkinetics.com/index.php?page=tmpfw/tmpfw) software?

If so, how do you like it? Any drawbacks? Issues getting it set up, or hardware conflicts?

Doc.

Sparky_NY
06-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Looked it over at the link you supplied. Don't know if you noticed the details but it does require hardware pc boards from them for the interface and that interface is step/direction and open loop. Also, its windows based which means it is not a real time operating system. Nothing to get excited about from what I seen.

George

DR
06-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Pretty pathetic in this day and age not to have cutter radius compensation, G40,41,42.

Doc Nickel
06-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Nothing to get excited about from what I seen.

-Well, it's irrelevant now anyway. :)

I'd picked up a preassembled/prewired 2-axis controller from a local DIY-CNC'er, built using MicroKinetics components. It uses an "OptiStep" PC board which connects to a sort of breakout board using a parallel cable, which then connects to the controllers.

I'd bought it as supposedly working (I paid about what the two stepper drivers alone were worth) and figured I could at least give it a try. I still plan to head for LinuxCNC in a newish PC, but this might have been a quick way to at least start trying out the hardware.

Turns out the OptiStep board, which I thought was PCI (older, but still supported) is actually a much older ISA card. I have no functional PC with an ISA slot, and even if I did, I'm not sure I'd want to trust a 15-to-20-year-old box.

No big deal, however. I'd already planned on ditching the Opti board and it's BOB, in favor of a much newer ethernet board. It's just that I was hoping I could try this thing out real quick, and upgrade later.

Doc.

RB211
06-07-2016, 04:48 AM
ISA? Thats 386, 486, early Pentium days!

Doc Nickel
06-07-2016, 05:39 AM
Yep. I actually got some driver discs with it. One on a regular 3-1/2" floppy, one on a 5-1/4". :)

When's the last time you saw a 5-1/4" floppy drive? :)

Doc.