PDA

View Full Version : Converting belt sander to variable speed

Mike Hunter
06-07-2016, 09:52 AM
I want to convert a standard belt sander to variable speed. I will be replacing the existing 110v single phase motor with a 220v three phase motor, now I need a VFD to control the motor. I would like a VFD with a rotary controller like what’s found on the KBAC 24D, but their price seems a bit steep.

Any other options? I know there are folks on the forum that know VFDs

Thoughts, Comments and recommendations?

RWO
06-07-2016, 01:10 PM
The KBAC-4D price seems pretty reasonable to me considering that it comes in a rugged NEMA 4X enclosure. When I converted my 1x42 belt machine to VFD years ago, I bought a VFD with the then standard semi-open enclosure. Since I had to make it dust resistant, I built a sheet aluminum box for the drive with a clear plastic window for the display and a convoluted rear cooling air vent. Then I had to mount a speed pot and on-off sw. below the window. I would have been overjoyed to have found a VFD already in a dust proof enclosure with the controls on the door. Consider yourself lucky not to have mess with a homemade enclosure. Converting a belt sander to variable speed much improves its versatility. It is one of the best mods. one can do in the home shop. Drive on.

RWO

garyhlucas
06-07-2016, 01:38 PM
That nema 4 case is worth every penny for a belt sander. Metal dust and VFDs do NOT go together!

Mike Hunter
06-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Gentlemen

Thank you

MaxHeadRoom
06-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Considerations for the KB ver over most VFD's is that the KB has no parameters to set, just pots and jumpers which limits it a little, and AFAIK is limited to 60Hz which if so limits the top end rpm for a 4 pole motor.
If little difference in cost, it may be worth looking at a Hitachi etc.
Correction 4 pole.
Max.