PDA

View Full Version : Well....I did it!!!

Arbo
07-19-2004, 07:45 AM
That's right, I am the proud papa of a new to me South Bend. I went to the auction on Saturday, and looked over the lathe again. A machinist friend of mine had cleaned and oiled it since I first saw it, and it looked like it belonged in a museum. We started it up, and ran it through the paces, and it was complete love. As I said before, all the accessories are in the origional boxes, all the paperwork is there, and a bench is included. This old guy was meticulous. I started the bidding at $200.00 and I ended up at $1700.00. I paid a little more than I would have liked, but I truly believe that this is the last lathe I will ever have to buy. I also picked up some Starrett tools in the boxes, lots of Brown and Sharpe stuff, and a few other nice American made tools for pennies on the dollar. Last but not least, a 12"X18" cast iron surface plate in pristine condition for $15.00. I will post some pics when I get the lathe home and set up.

BTW...Has anybody ever heard of Bay State threading tools. I picked up three tap handles that are the nicest I have ever seen. The sliding block that holds the tap has dovetails cut in the sides to keep everything lined up. A little cleaning, and a light coat of oil, and they look and work like new.

jr45acp
07-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Congrats Arbo! I know you'll be pleased with your new acquisition. I'm still cleaning crud off of the Clausing I got late last year. I do have more time to do it since I finally retired. Thirty years with the Bureau was enough, don't you think?

John B

pgmrdan
07-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Congratulations Arbo!

You'll have to post some pictures of the new addition to the family and mail out some cigars (preferably the bubble gum type).

Arbo
07-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Congrats on the retirement, John! I have 15 in, and have to do another 10. I will be eligable at 49. If all goes well with my home business, I am hoping to go then.

BillH
07-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Congrats Arbo, now start making chips

nheng
07-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Congratulations Arbo ! It is a warm and fuzzy feeling, isn't it?
Den

Al Messer
07-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Arbo, congratulations! I'm turning Green with envy!! Have fun--live long and prosper!!

Hey, John B.! How in the world did we find time to get everything done when we had to work for a living! LOL!