X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radkins
    • Sep 2008

Oli can * oiler

I have been using a couple of pump type oil cans from Lowes building supply that have been very good but one was lost and now after several years the other is failing, Lowes no longer sells these and anything else I have found has been junk to the point of almost being comical. A quick check finds several of them at Enco, etc but the cheap pricing makes me think cheap Chinese junk and I would like to buy a good one. I know this is a small item and not normally the kind of thing to ask about but I was wondering if someone could steer me toward a seller who has GOOD high quality pump oil cans, most of what I have seen in the past tend to leak as much oil around the pump as it pumps out the hose!
  • pinstripe
    • Nov 2015

I originally bought a Goldenrod oiler (made in USA). It was OK, and better than the really cheap junk. It leaked a little, and the handle eventually bent under the pressure. I replaced it with a Reilang. The Reilang is way better than the Goldenrod, but also much more expensive. Doesn't leak, doesn't drip, works upside down.

The only thing I didn't like about the Reilang is the rubber washer. It slips out as you tighten the top. It won't happen the first time when it's dry, only when it has some oil on it. I replaced it with a snug-fitting o-ring, and it's been perfect since.

This guy takes one apart to show you what's inside.

Comment

• 10KPete
      • Jan 2009

Yep, since the Eagle isn't made any more, those are the ones.

Pete
      1973 SB 10K .
      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

• radkins
        • Sep 2008

A quick check seems to indicate the Reilang oiler is not available here in the States, I guess if it's not cheap and made in China we here in the U.S just don't want any!

First time I have ever checked Amazon and not found at least one example of what I was looking for, even Ebay only had one and it is a 1950's era collectable for $135, Amazon does have the Goldenrod oilers however. I found a couple of U.K sellers that have the Reilang oilers so maybe one of them could be persuaded to send one over to this side of the pond?

Comment

• pinstripe
          • Nov 2015

Try going to ebay.co.uk and you might find it will ship to the US. Prices will be in GBP, but possibly still cheaper than buying from ebay.com. Same seller, just shenanigans with the exchange rates.

I bought mine off eBay, but the seller was this one (ships to US) http://www.jensputzier.com/Reilang/Oilers/

The one I bought was this one (out of stock till end of month) http://www.jensputzier.com/Reilang/O...uble-pump.html

Things I learned:
          • You need a "double pump" model if you want it to work upside down (really handy when you have to reach over something to oil from behind).
          • If you buy the "fat" 300 ml model, you may find that the seal swells and makes it hard to remove the top. I read some comments about that, and would believe it as the seal on mine did swell with the oil. As I said, the slimmer model with an o-ring works perfectly and doesn't get tight. I thought the slimmer one might be slippery because it's smooth, but it's not so smooth to be a problem.
          • I think I read that the plastic ones aren't made in Switzerland or Germany.
          • The tip is narrower than the Goldenrod. If you have large ball oilers, then you will need some way to maintain pressure. A piece of rubber with a hole works for me.

It's a really nice oiler. I was hesitant initially because of the price, but I have not regretted it.
          Last edited by pinstripe; 07-18-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• radkins
            • Sep 2008

That's one of the sites I found earlier and apparently I had already chosen the same oiler you mentioned,

For $41.11 US that's very likely the one I will buy unless the shipping turns out to be unreasonable, but I doubt that it will.

Comment

• pinstripe
              • Nov 2015

Oiler is 380 grams, so might make it under 700 grams with packaging.

Prices have come down since I ordered in March. Mine was $69.95 US with shipping. That was on eBay, so maybe he charges more to cover the eBay fees. I had no problem ordering from him.

Comment

• EddyCurr
                • May 2009

The Reilang is new to me, thank you for posting about these.

I read that the base/bottle is die cast. (Had wondered whether
                it was spun after viewing photos.) That fact right there ought to
                put paid to the issue of having to seal the seam on a Goldenrod
                to keep it from piddling on everything to mark its territory.

Edit: Further seaching revealed that Jens Putzier has posted
                on some forums that will be known to others here: PracMach
                and GarageJour are two examples. In post #14 of the following
                thread, Mr Putzier offers a bit of background as to how he came
                to represent Reilang and several other lines on the internet.

As the title says what suppliers are there in canada that sell hazet stuff?

Last edited by EddyCurr; 07-18-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• pinstripe
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                  I read that the base/bottle is die cast. (Had wondered whether it was spun after viewing photos.)
                  I don't know how they make it. The outside feels like it may be machined, but not to a smooth finish. Definitely no seams. Only way it could ever leak while upright is if the aluminium cracked. I haven't dropped mine yet, but it feels sturdy enough to bounce a few times.

Comment

• firbikrhd1
                    • Mar 2001

If you really want a desirable oiler look at this one.

Comment

• EddyCurr
                      • May 2009

My word!

Bidding $1,402 with 55 min left.

Clearly somebody desires that oldie.

Comment

• pinstripe
                        • Nov 2015

Eeek. That's seriously expensive for a rusty old can! I assume the bidders expect to sell it for more in a couple of years.

Comment

• GEP
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by radkins View Post
                          I have been using a couple of pump type oil cans from Lowes building supply that have been very good but one was lost and now after several years the other is failing, Lowes no longer sells these and anything else I have found has been junk to the point of almost being comical. A quick check finds several of them at Enco, etc but the cheap pricing makes me think cheap Chinese junk and I would like to buy a good one. I know this is a small item and not normally the kind of thing to ask about but I was wondering if someone could steer me toward a seller who has GOOD high quality pump oil cans, most of what I have seen in the past tend to leak as much oil around the pump as it pumps out the hose!
                          I have bought some small oil cans like pinstripe is showing at harbor freight they are holding up just fine.

Comment

• GEP
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by firbikrhd1 View Post
                            If you really want a desirable oiler look at this one.
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JOHN...YAAOSwRgJXg88N
                            The oil can bidders must be on drugs. Super deal for the seller i hope he gets the money
                            Last edited by GEP; 07-18-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• 10KPete
                              • Jan 2009

Here's the best one made:

But they aren't made any more. It's hard to find one at that price too, so if'n ya want it 'ya better get it now! Hard to find
                              in good shape but easy to fix. Nose fits ball oilers perfectly (that one has the lip to lift the spring covers) and generates
                              lots of pressure, lots.

Pete
                              1973 SB 10K .
                              BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Working...
                              X