X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave C
    • Mar 2015

A gloat, for me anyway.

Got these at the local surplus store for $.25 each. Please disregard the messy workbench, and my home built spill proof oil pot. The links and hooks are are 5/16.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard
  • sch
    • Sep 2001

Pretty good price even if east asian in origin, which is not clear from the pix. If US made, wow. Now all you need is some chain.
    My time frame for such as this was 25-30 yrs ago when I had a tractor and was installing the machinery in the basement. Last
    time I used such was 3 yrs ago to swing a 1000# machine onto a pad under the deck. Used slings and an HF chain fall for that
    with lifting point a doubled 2x10 joist braced with a 4x4 under neath. Didn't want to pull the deck down.
    Steve

Comment

• Glug
      • Jan 2013

Great deal. Is there any rating on the links?
      Guru of no signature

Comment

• Dave C
        • Mar 2015

No rating marks, but these are Blue Hawk brand sold at Lowe's. All are Chinese made, and use will require taking that into consideration.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Glug
          • Jan 2013

I thought about using a fairly large threaded link - half inch - to move a machine a while back. I always considered those quite strong due to the closed form when shut. The site rep wouldn't allow it because there was no rating, or even marks of any kind. He was completely correct - no rating is no rating. Had something happened, he would have been in a lot of trouble, or worse. A rated forged shackle is what I needed to use. I still like the threaded links for lighter stuff.
          Guru of no signature

Comment

• Dave C
            • Mar 2015

They are handy, but you have to keep in mind their size and the absence of any rating marks. Fine for keeping a lawn tractor in place while transporting on a trailer, but not something I would trust to pull an engine out of a car. Just checked Lowe's web site, the 5/16 quick link is rated at 1760 lbs. working load.
            Last edited by Dave C; 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM. Reason: added rating info

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
            X