PDA

View Full Version : Tis but a scratch

enginuity
09-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Like most HSMers I'm always perusing Kijiji for tooling / machines etc (up here Craigslist is not used, Kijiji has cornered the online classified market apparently for some reason nobody can really explain)

Don't think it should affect performance too much. Price is non negotiable.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/kitchener-waterloo/logan-metal-lathe/1196080493?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I think that should buff out don't you?

boslab
09-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Seen plenty of gap beds, but not in the middle, till now, priceless.
Remember it does not affect the operation!
Mark

A.K. Boomer
09-07-2016, 11:06 AM
with one awhile back the structural integrity was in question --- with this one there is no question of it at all :rolleyes:

what a shame,

and so far out - must have been for one thing specific - and now it's junk for everything...

olcop
09-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Heck Yea,
a little Bondo and a rattle can touch up and it'll go right back into service, no harm---no foul!!
olcop

olcop
09-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Seriously though, can the head on the Logans be moved toward the cut area? If so, it could be a useful, though short between centers, lathe.
olcop

john hobdeclipe
09-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Gap notwithstanding, she has nice legs.

Charles Spencer
09-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I'd buy it in a minute.

Of course, I happen to have a spare Logan 10" bed.

Mcgyver
09-07-2016, 12:22 PM
I'd buy it in a minute.

Of course, I happen to have a spare Logan 10" bed.

the fall colours are beautiful in another month or two......and we're having a 30% off sale. Parting it out or someone in your position (you may be the only one) is the best the vendor can hope for imo.

kijiji vs craigslist. I find kijiji a much, much nicer format and wish craigslist would take note. However kijiji is working very hard to even the gap. Through a parade of downgrades over the last year, the service is much less than it was. Not sure why they do this, the compulsions to have programmers doing something no matter what? I try to think of what reason that I'm not seeing.....but I can't. Would love to have an hour with a thinking executive there.

J Tiers
09-07-2016, 12:38 PM
That IS the oddest place to cut that I have seen yet. Makes the machine worthless as-is for most uses, unless you have a decent bed. And the "part-out" people usually seem to scrap the beds.....

That one IS best for parting out.

I like the "non-negotiable" (ok.... "fairly firm" pricing). Shows a real appreciation for exactly HOW worthless the machine has become.

enginuity
09-07-2016, 01:10 PM
kijiji vs craigslist. I find kijiji a much, much nicer format and wish craigslist would take note. However kijiji is working very hard to even the gap. Through a parade of downgrades over the last year, the service is much less than it was. Not sure why they do this, the compulsions to have programmers doing something no matter what? I try to think of what reason that I'm not seeing.....but I can't. Would love to have an hour with a thinking executive there.

I have to agree completely - Kijiji who is owned by eBay interestingly enough, is really going completely like eBay.

eBay when it was first launched was really really good in my opinion. It truly was an online garage / yard sale with lots of interesting stuff and limited business type postings. Now it is almost entirely Chinese companies trying to sell you new stuff.

Kijiji is going the same way (ok, no Chinese ads, but businesses trying to promote their ads etc).

They really need to keep it grass roots with occasional advertisements.

Regarding the ad - I went through something like is:

laughter, quickly followed by anger, shortly followed by pity, followed by an acceptance that yes, indeed there are people who really do crazy things in this world, and there isn't much I can do about them, I can only control myself.

Mcgyver
09-07-2016, 01:25 PM
I have to agree completely - Kijiji who is owned by eBay interestingly enough, is really going completely like eBay.

They got a lot of bad press with the Tim Bosma murder, which imo is in itself is just stupid - it was no fault of kijiji, could have happened from newspaper classifieds. The worst downgrade they've done, which I believe was in reaction to this, was "masking" of email address. They claim it is for security.

To me this is 11 on the idiotic dial in that the more anonymous you make things between people, the greater the chance for unsavory and impolite behavior. If I respond to your ad and I do so with a 'real' email vs masking, I've identified myself - I'm a stakeholder in my behaviour....vs anonymity. The 1/2 who would use a real email are they are either very, very stupid or don't have nefarious intent. They'd also usually have some manners. Simple stuff, like a response from a real email with an offer price got consideration - whats an anonymous offer worth? imo with anonymity there is less security and signal to noise ratio has soared.

There's others, like what happens when you click on pic - you can no longer zoom in, no longer put html tags in posts etc, the above has done a lot to worsen the experience.

old mart
09-07-2016, 01:57 PM
I laughed and laughed. That must be the limited edition "Flexibed" model.

A.K. Boomer
09-07-2016, 03:02 PM
"If you are reading this then it is still available"

Hot puppies grub you mean he still has it??? I mean what are the odds? add reads almost as if there's a sense of urgency about it all,

don't know if I should punch it in the Garmin and see how long it would take to get there - or just let nature take it's course and let him be buried with it - think it will have to be the latter cuz I have to organize my sock drawer today - shucks...

loose nut
09-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Seems a bit pricey for a boat anchor.

firbikrhd1
09-07-2016, 04:29 PM
That model is designed specifically for turning tapers.

Toolguy
09-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Seems a bit pricey for a boat anchor.

Not all that high for a decent size yacht...

Mike of the North
09-07-2016, 05:32 PM
That is sad I have a Logan lathe I would like to get an extra bed to to scrape and then move the parts to, I don't want to be with out a lathe while I fix the bed.

Andre3127
09-07-2016, 06:47 PM
The ways could be always repaired with Durabar sections brazed in place. If done correctly it would probably work out fine, and still easier than finding a new bed and re-scraping the bed, carriage, headstock and tailstock!

garyhlucas
09-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Not such a bad thing. Likely someone had a task for which an off the shelf lathe with a notch there could make a part that was very profitable. Happens all the time in industry. You weigh the cost of a specially built or very large machine against the profit in hacking the small machine. I was working for a machine and they delivered us a brand new Fadal 6030 VMC. The very first job they wanted me to program for and run on the machine required taking a Sawzall and slicing a 3" high slot across the entire front of the machine! I managed to talk them out of that one but they were determined to do it until I proved even that modification wouldn't fit the part in the machine.

J Tiers
09-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Maybe, but after removing that much of the bed, the thing must be wobbly as heck. Maybe the part was made of wood?

thaiguzzi
09-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Jesus wept. That's the worst mod i've ever seen.

Paul Alciatore
09-07-2016, 11:40 PM
So you are saying that you can braze some durabar in that gap without introducing any distortion in the bed? You must be some kind of welder. I think if you do any brazing on that bed you are going to have to re-scrape everything from scratch anyway. And you will still have a bed that will distort over time. You left out annealing in that list of things it would need.

Part it out or get a new bed.

The ways could be always repaired with Durabar sections brazed in place. If done correctly it would probably work out fine, and still easier than finding a new bed and re-scraping the bed, carriage, headstock and tailstock!

macona
09-08-2016, 02:06 AM
the fall colours are beautiful in another month or two......and we're having a 30% off sale. Parting it out or someone in your position (you may be the only one) is the best the vendor can hope for imo.

Craigslist is designed around an absolute minimal bandwidth. That's why it looks as it does.

macona
09-08-2016, 02:08 AM
So you are saying that you can braze some durabar in that gap without introducing any distortion in the bed? You must be some kind of welder. I think if you do any brazing on that bed you are going to have to re-scrape everything from scratch anyway. And you will still have a bed that will distort over time. You left out annealing in that list of things it would need.

Just bolt it in place no need to braze. Or make a steel or aluminum base and mold v-ways with moglice.

macona
09-08-2016, 02:11 AM
Jesus wept. That's the worst mod i've ever seen.

Im guessing it was modified to turn a lot of a very specific part. Maybe recondition a pulley on a shaft that could not be dismounted. Probably had a lot of them to do so they picked up a cheap lathe and modified it to do what is needed.

pinstripe
09-08-2016, 03:17 AM
I think you are right because the modification is pretty clean. Doesn't look like someone hacked it not knowing what they were doing. In this case, the lathe was a consumable.

KiddZimaHater
09-08-2016, 03:20 AM
Unbelievable... just, UNBELIEVABLE...
HOW? WHO? WHYYYYY???
Surely there's gotta be SOMEONE in town with a larger lathe to get the job done?
WOW.
Some jobs, you just gotta say NO!

martik
09-08-2016, 03:27 AM
Looks like heck but I bet it would cut just fine. That gap is a very small part of the bed and the saddle will always have at least 80% contact.

J Tiers
09-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Looks like heck but I bet it would cut just fine. That gap is a very small part of the bed and the saddle will always have at least 80% contact.

And so you say it is still worth basically full pop for that machine, as if good?

That's about what I paid, but I got tooling with mine, and there was no bonus damage.

Seastar
09-08-2016, 09:07 AM
That is sad I have a Logan lathe I would like to get an extra bed to to scrape and then move the parts to, I don't want to be with out a lathe while I fix the bed.

I have an extra bed that is in bad condition that you can have for free.
It's in Indianapolis.
PM me if you're interested.
Bill

A.K. Boomer
09-08-2016, 10:00 AM
It begs the question that with a heavy extended cut - what part do you think is going to go whipping around and hit you in the forehead when the bed does crack in half and give way? the headstock or the tailstock???

old mart
09-08-2016, 02:40 PM
It's fine as long as the selling price is a lot lower than an unf---ed lathe.

Andre3127
09-08-2016, 02:56 PM

Go into my post edit history for a longer explanation. Make it a very tight fit and grind deep V's for the braze to penetrate a little. It won't be perfect, and the bed might still be bowed a little, but it'll be better than nothing. If braze cant get into the joint it can't "pull" but will also be fairly weak since most if it will be on the surface.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Mcgyver
09-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Craigslist is designed around an absolute minimal bandwidth. That's why it looks as it does.

Whatever the reason, they have been almost completely displaced by kijiji which looks feels and functions a lot better. I like the idea of craigslist and don't trust ebay.....so hopefully someone there is paying attention and gets to work improving it before kijiji gets launched in more markets

thaiguzzi
09-09-2016, 11:49 PM
Im guessing it was modified to turn a lot of a very specific part. Maybe recondition a pulley on a shaft that could not be dismounted. Probably had a lot of them to do so they picked up a cheap lathe and modified it to do what is needed.

You could be right. But as a jobbing lathe for sale on the open market, with no tooling, it aint gonna get a lot of interest. Best sold as spares or repairs for half the money being asked.