PDA

View Full Version : Espresso & Alzheimer's?, the VIDEO

Tony
09-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Always wanted to tackle a coffee pot.
Casting is probably the smart way to do this.

Have gotten some unexpected feedback re: the dangers of making coffee / cooking in aluminum.
Doesn't every restaurant in the world cook in aluminum?
Not sure how founded this is, and I can find info online from both camps.. heck I've even found
articles about the dangers of cooking in stainless!

But what I really got to wonder about is all the aluminum fines that end up in the air.
Especially with a high speed spindle, belts grinders, polishers, etc.

Never really gave it a thought. I mean I wear breathing protection when grinding (angle, surface, etc),
I know that kicks up a heck of a lot more fines.

Anyway, better or for worse, here's another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMrlyEreba8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMrlyEreba8

brian Rupnow
09-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Tony--That connection between aluminum and Alzheimers is an old rumour that just won't die. I worked many years for Volkswagen of Canada in an aluminum wheel manufacturing plant. Out on the line there were a dozen people who 8 hours a day ground casting flash off the alloy aluminum wheels with pneumatic grinders and varying grits of carborundum grinding tools. We had "health and safety committees" made up of employees, not management, who devoted a lot of time trying to see whether this connection was real or not. Nothing concrete was ever resolved one way or the other, but I know that I wouldn't have done the job.---Brian

Toolguy
09-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Thanks for another great video Tony! :) As always, very enjoyable and informative.

JoeLee
09-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Beer and soda has been in alum cans for years. I remember when they were steel cans. Along came pull tabs and alum.

JL.................

softtail
09-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Beer and soda has been in alum cans for years. I remember when they were steel cans. Along came pull tabs and alum.

JL.................

They have a protective coating inside to prevent oxidation and corrosion from acids. I've gone down the coffee rabbit hole and since resurfaced. IMO why chance using Al.

Andre3127
09-09-2016, 12:51 PM
My grandfather drank espresso everyday from a aluminum cup from when he was 12 (or so) till 72 when he passed. He never had any hint of any mental issues, and had several masters degrees. And you'd think the acidic coffee would break down the aluminum.

Most coffee pots are aluminum to begin with, no biggie.

Daveb
09-09-2016, 01:03 PM
The Romans used cookware made out of lead, difficult now to say how much it affected them.

A.K. Boomer
09-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Another great vid full of both talent and humor - the classic Tony/humor in the beginning could teach allot of seasoned comedians about both timing and delivery - stellar for sure...

ncjeeper
09-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Cool vid.

Andre3127
09-09-2016, 01:17 PM
The Romans used cookware made out of lead, difficult now to say how much it affected them.

They also used lead pipes, and boiled wine in lead pots because the lead gave wine a supposed sweet taste. It's thought lead is actually most of the reason for the roman demise.

softtail
09-09-2016, 02:02 PM
My grandfather drank espresso everyday from a aluminum cup from when he was 12 (or so) till 72 when he passed. He never had any hint of any mental issues, and had several masters degrees. And you'd think the acidic coffee would break down the aluminum.

Most coffee pots are aluminum to begin with, no biggie.

My 83 yr old dad drinks like a fish and smokes like a stack (since age 16), doesn't exercise, eats like crap and still lives an independent life in all ways. Wouldn't recommend other people try the same though. *YMMV*.

Anyways another great vid.. I've sent it along to others who I know would appreciate it on a number of fronts.

mattthemuppet
09-09-2016, 06:57 PM
that was fun, thanks! Always learn something new.

Couple of thoughts. One, I would have made the wooden part of the handle wrap around the alu part more, especially between the handle and the body. It'll get very hot and that might avoid surprises. Or you could just pick it up with a rag :) Second, I was a bit surprised by the coffee coming out of the spout as it brewed - did you calculate the volume of the top chamber and the volume of water in the bottom chamber? Or is it a function of the hole angle in the top chamber?

I used to use one of those expresso pots a lot, especially for camping, but now we use a french press instead. Same caffeine, more volume!

GEP
09-09-2016, 07:59 PM

JL.................

Was that when Christopher Columbus discovered America :)

Andre3127
09-09-2016, 08:30 PM
I used to use one of those expresso pots a lot, especially for camping, but now we use a french press instead. Same caffeine, more volume!

Hi Matt,

If you use quality coffee I recommend you do a taste test with espresso vs french press brew. They should taste different because espresso is being brewed at boiling point and under pressure, while french press coffee should be brewed after the water just cools down from a boil and is only under ambient air pressure. French press coffee should be less acidic and have a lower caffeine content as well, because it's being brewed slightly colder and for much longer. French press coffee might also have better aromatics.

mattthemuppet
09-09-2016, 08:42 PM
for sure, they do taste a bit different, but I can't drink a large mug of espresso and still function :) I keep meaning to try cold brewing but I'm not quite organised/ too impatient to have gotten round to it.

softtail
09-09-2016, 09:25 PM
There's a lot going on with coffee.... understatement. In my experience, the grind trumps all, even the bean quality and freshness after a certain point. So one person's French press isn't another's. I got away from Fp a long time ago and just can't do it anymore no matter what beans.. I also like a fine even grind which doesn't work well with Fp. I would spend money on a very good grinder... all else falls into place. I use good coffee but not 'artisinal'. A good grind can really elevate beans. Crap grind=crap coffee.

tmarks11
09-09-2016, 09:36 PM
But what I really got to wonder about is all the aluminum fines that end up in the air.

If you are really worried about Aluminum giving you Alzheimers, then you should stop using deodorant. The fines floating in the air are much less likely to be ingested in your body than the aluminum-based paste you are smearing underneath your arms.

The reality is that any link between aluminum uptake and Alzheimers has been disproven.

Andre3127
09-09-2016, 09:45 PM
for sure, they do taste a bit different, but I can't drink a large mug of espresso and still function :) I keep meaning to try cold brewing but I'm not quite organised/ too impatient to have gotten round to it.

I did it once, but had to pitch the batch I made. It tasted great but it was so odd going from something that should be warm or room temp was ice cold. I'll have to try it again sometime.

oldtiffie
09-10-2016, 02:00 AM
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Espresso+%26+Alzheimer's%3F,&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7IRFC_enAU360&biw=1280&bih=585&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxxM-rj4TPAhWDopQKHYD7CYsQ_AUIBSgA&dpr=1.5

Tony
09-11-2016, 09:43 AM
thanks all. I might have to do a follow up. For science' sake, of course. i think i could add simple spring valve to the top of the
center column, use that to set a back pressure. heat the water on a hotplate to "perfect" *F, and use a hand pump or
compressor to drive this thing at Espresso PSI.

i bet condensation in the compressor lines would give the coffee more body. :)

Highpower
09-11-2016, 09:48 AM
And just a hint of compressor oil, to help it go down easier.... ;)

Carm
09-11-2016, 10:57 AM
If you are really worried about Aluminum giving you Alzheimers, then you should stop using deodorant. The fines floating in the air are much less likely to be ingested in your body than the aluminum-based paste you are smearing underneath your arms.

The reality is that any link between aluminum uptake and Alzheimers has been disproven.

We can argue definitions, but for the sake of clarity:
"Deodorant" under the arms doesn't stop sweat but masks the smell.
"Anti-perspirant", which does contain aluminum, attempts to stop sweating.

plunger
09-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Even if it makes lousy coffee the journey was enjoyable.What bender is that?
t?

Tony
09-11-2016, 07:13 PM
home built clone of the hossfeld #2.
lots of interest in the bender.. making some
plant stands for the wife now... good opportunity
to talk more about it in the next video if
all goes well.