PDA

View Full Version : Phase Converters

abooker
07-22-2004, 10:37 PM
What type of phase converters do you use. Static or Rotary? I'm looking into building a Rotary converter for my South Bend Lathe.

Ted
07-22-2004, 11:01 PM
I us a rotary I built to power my lathe and milling machine. Sort of crude, but super cheap and works well for me.

stiven
07-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Go with a variable frequency drive. I use one every day on my mill. does everything a converter does plus gives you variable speed control and a whole lot more. very quiet compared to vari-drives. The cost is less than a rotary. Check out driveswarehouse.com

Mike Burdick
07-23-2004, 01:42 AM
abooker,

This link regarding phase converters is interesting:

http://www.kayind.com/tech_center/FAQ.htm

--------------------

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 07-23-2004).]

Evan
07-23-2004, 01:56 AM
I'm using a static converter I built for my 3ph drill press. So far it works fine. Had to drill some holes in 1 1/2" steel plate the other day, was like drilling cheese.

wierdscience
07-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Rotary is best,but a static will work so long as its a heavy duty version.

meho
07-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Rotary. It's just a 3Ph. motor the same size as the one in the lathe. I have a contactor in a box with a switch. I spin it up with my foot and throw the switch. I have the technology for a self start but I don't want to spend the money on parts.
When I get a mill I'll just wire it into the 3ph. box and only run one machine at at time.

James

ibewgypsie
07-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Everyone see the motors with the pull off the lawnmower attached?

David

wierdscience
07-23-2004, 11:06 PM
See one,I made one,buddy down the road picked up a primo Rockwell chopsaw,the one with the 3hp motor and the cast iron angle cutting base(blade swings over,not the stock)well it was three phase and he didn't want to "complicate things" with a centrifugal switch or start cap,so I rigged it up with a recoil off a Homelite chains saw,10hp too,one swift yank of the cord,flip the knife switch and your in business.

Tim Clarke
07-23-2004, 11:33 PM
I have a 7 1/2 hp rotary, and it works fine. I use it to power a 5hp motor on my lathe. The lathe has a Reeves type drive, and so the tension of the variable speed belts along with the load of a heavy geartrain, chuck and work make for a heavy starting load. With the oversize converter, it will start even at the 2500 rpm setting, and the 8" chuck. Reversing while underway is possible, as I have discovered by accident. My mill has a 2hp motor and a drum type switch and reverses almost instantly on the converter. If you use a converter to power a machine with a motor starter, and low voltage controls, make sure you put the wild leg from the converter on the terminal that doesn't go to the starter coil.

TC