• hephaestus
    • Mar 2015

Question about Bridgeport quill travel

Not that I need it, but I was wondering if you
    removed the adjustable stop, can you get more
    travel from the quill ?
  • Doc Nickel
    • Mar 2003

Yes, but it's strongly not recommended. Actually, if you take the stop off and the ring off the quill, the quill can slide right out the casting.

And that's the problem- not only do you risk running off the gear rack on the quill (and having the spring-loaded handle go for a spin and probably break a knuckle or two) but you start running out of contact between the quill and the head casting. Milling- or anything that puts a side thrust on the quill- is right out, and even just drilling is iffy, since the gear rack is what keeps the whole mess from rotating.Slip it past the end of the quill under power and you'll have a problem.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• hephaestus
      • Mar 2015

I just said the adjustable stop.

Comment

• Boostinjdm
        • Mar 2011

If you need more travel use the knee. I don't use the adjustable stop much. Instead, I use a spring loaded clamp on stop.

Comment

• JoeLee
          • Aug 2009

It's designed to stop at that point for a reason, and it is a good one.
          Enter at your own risk.

JL...............

Comment

• Stepside
            • Mar 2002

Some thoughts on the Quill and Knee of a BP mill.

My mill is a 1965 vintage out of a school shop and was dirty, battle scarred from 30 years of students. About the only time I use the quill is to drill or use the boring head. Once I "discovered" that the "Zerk" fittings were for oil not grease, I cleaned everything up and bought an "Oil Gun". In the cleaning I also serviced the crank and screw that jacks up the knee as well as cleaned and adjusted the gibbs on the knee. The outcome is that the knee is easy to raise and lower as well as accurate. I don't think the students ever used the knee.

My sequence for removing a given amount off a part is: 1) after fastening the material on the table/in the vise, with the quill retracted, bring the knee up until almost touching the cutter. 2) "Zero" the knee dial. 3) lower the quill until it touches the part and lock the quill. 4) lower the knee at least .050 and move the cutter off the part. 5) raise the knee back to "Zero" and then raise the knee to the desired depth of cut.

If everything is lubricated and adjusted as it should be, this is far more accurate than using the quill and a layout line.

Comment

• hephaestus
              • Mar 2015

Maybe I get sidetracked a little myself sometimes, but ???

I ask a simple question and someone explains how to remove material ???

Comment

• sarge41
                • Jul 2014

It is strongly recommended not to remove the quill stop. At that point, they are already nearly maxed out. To remove the stop is inviting trouble. If you need just a little more drill depth, get an Ex-cel-lo mill. They have a 6" length quill.

Sarge

Comment

• Carm
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by hephaestus View Post
                  Maybe I get sidetracked a little myself sometimes, but ???

I ask a simple question and someone explains how to remove material ???
                  No one is attempting to make you feel like an idiot. Don't look for offense and you won't find it.
                  At this point if your quill drops out, you knew better.

Comment

• Stepside
                    • Mar 2002

Hephaestus

My point was another way to get the job done without endangering your spindle. Also unless you spindle lock and spindle are pristine, moving the knee is more accurate. Especially if you keep the spindle locked through the entire process.

I apologize if I offended you as that was not my intent.

Pete

Comment

• J Tiers
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                      It is strongly recommended not to remove the quill stop. At that point, they are already nearly maxed out. To remove the stop is inviting trouble. If you need just a little more drill depth, get an Ex-cel-lo mill. They have a 6" length quill.

Sarge
                      So, I believe, do other BP heads. Some 3.5", some 6" or so.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• hephaestus
                        • Mar 2015

No need to apologize, I don't get offended.

Comment

Working...
                        X