PDA

View Full Version : Scam by Rutland Tool

Larry Backer
07-22-2004, 06:54 PM
In thier July flyer they show a made in poland 10 arc sec. level. On sale for $65.00, what they are shipping is a made in china unit.
Larry

Allan Waterfall
07-23-2004, 05:41 AM
Larry,

I think it is a duty to let everyone know about "dubious" suppliers.

Allan

Steve Stube
07-23-2004, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't be happy with a switch either. Have you let them know of your dissatisfaction and are they going to correct it?

nheng
07-23-2004, 09:08 AM
I've seen that one before and a quick search turned it up in Enco's catalog but guess what ... the info including the "made in" is all blacked out ! Perhaps they did a "Home Depot" and sent the Polish one to China for cloning and price reduction (theirs, not yours).

About a month ago, I bought various diameters of drill blanks from Travers. Most were from China and a few were from Korea. Like night and day, the Chinese ones were crap ... marginal finish and not quite round while the Korean ones had a fine finish and were much better. Last week, I called them to find the country of origin on some collets under their TTC label. After 3 minutes of research, the answer I got back was Anaheim, CA ... anyone know of a 5C collet maker in Anaheim ? ATS is there but AFAIK, they don't make collets (unless it's a well kept secret).

These companies and their bean counters are taking liberties with their sourcing and the only way to end it is to refuse to buy. They will get the message when they run inventory.

added - sorry, forgot to turn rant mode OFF

Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 07-23-2004).]

Larry Backer
07-23-2004, 04:20 PM
I live about 30 min from the Rutland wharehouse. I always make a will call order and check the stuff before I hand over my money. I told them thats called, false advertizeing, they must be used to hearing that because the guy didn't even blink. It's a real PITA if you have something shipped and then find out thier scam. They probably figure 75 percent of the people won't go thru the hassel of returning the item.
Larry
P.S. I also went by Reliable Tool, they have a nice 48" cast iron straight edge, but the thing is about 75#'s

Buckshot
07-24-2004, 07:44 AM
...........Funny. I'd faxed an order with Rutland awile back and included was 4 pieces of 1" keystock. I got a call that the keystock was not available, so I said cancel the item and ship the balance of the order. I was told my card had been charged and the keystock would be shipped in a couple days. I said forget it, as I didn't want to pay the shipping. Oh, no! We won't charge shipping. Okay then go ahead.

I guess 3-4 WEEKS later I get the keystock and yup, they charged shipping. The shipping was $5.75. I called back to let them know about the shipping deal, and I also needed a #2 MT finish reamer. The gal seemed a bit disturbed about me wanting the shipping charge re-imbursed, but she'd ship the reamer without shipping charges.

I said fine, as long as it totaled the $5.75 I was due. I mean, a MT reamer weighs nowhere NEAR what four 12" 1x1 pieces of keystock weight, right? I get the reamer and shipping on it is $7.97. It weighs less then one of the pieces of keystock, and it cost less then $100 so I can't see any added insurance costing that much more?

BTW, I got my credit card bill and the $5.75 shippng (3 weeks after notifying them) hasn't been credited yet.

To be honest since I'm bitching I WILL have to add that I've ordered a lot of stuff from them and if they recieve it by noon Monday I usually have it the next day. This has been my first bit of trouble. The only troubling part in my mind is the rather offhand attitude of the lady I talked to about the shipping.

Rick

INTERPOLATE
07-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I have had the same type of trouble with shipping charges from them. There is a handling fee in there too. If you have a UPS account, instruct them to ship collect on your UPS account. Having things shipped collect controls this over charging and keeps the service fee down on your UPS bill
JD

Michael C
07-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Kitts is also guilty of this, repeatedly. They show a USA product in the ad in HSM and ship Chinese junk. They even do it after being told. False advertising is illegal, but not inforced.

Michael

nheng
07-24-2004, 02:35 PM
My favorite is a gallon of Starrett M1 from Traver. At $20, I figure what the heck as it will last a while. I get a phone call that they have to charge hazmat fee so it will cost $20 more. OK ... the parcel arrives, I've been billed $48. $20 M1, $20 hazmat and shipping $8, wasn't mentioned during the call.

SwarfRat
07-24-2004, 03:40 PM
This kind of goofy stuff seems to crop up sporadically with most suppliers I've used except McMaster (if memory serves).

Lately, I ordered a variety of small items from Enco, and they all arrived on the same day in THREE separate box shipments from the same warehouse. When I called to complain about the shipping charges, each of which would have covered the entire order if put into one box, the sales creep told me that their warehouse is so big they had to ship the stuff from different areas to avoid carting it to one central shipping area.

As if I believed THAT. . .

Michael C
07-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Swarfrat,

Enco has always treated me fairly when I have pointed out a problem with shipping charges, or item prices. They also have free shipping on all UPS orders over $50 total, no matter how many locations they ship the order from. You must know the discount shipping code that is applicable for that month to take part. Get on their email spam list and they send you the code each month.

Giv them a call again, I bet you can get your problem solved.

Michael C

J Tiers
07-24-2004, 11:26 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael C:
Swarfrat,

Enco has always treated me fairly when I have pointed out a problem with shipping charges, or item prices. </font>

Enco is BAD BAD BAD. They don't exist in my world anymore.

Bought a mic from them. It was damaged. cost me out of pocket to ship back to them. They were at least nice enough to give me an RMA so it wouldn't be refused.
So I paid shipping both ways, they credited me the cost of goods ONLY. Lousy schmucks.

Bought something from Grizzly. It arrived and it was bad. I called. They said send it back, and they credited me the cost plus the shipping. BOTH WAYS worth of shipping.