PDA

View Full Version : Detailed ACER 1440G lathe instructions?

Cannonmn
10-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Downloaded the official op manual and found it deficient in the extreme, tells how to adjust the camlock, lube chart, lots of drawings, but no real operating instructions, don'ts, or any of that, unless all that was beyond the 41 page download that's on the web. IS there any better document out there, we sure haven't seen it if there is one!

Toolguy
10-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I have that lathe. What do you want to know?

Cannonmn
10-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. We just got one, used, seems in good cond but haven't hooked it up yet. Before I start a "new" machine I like to know at least the basic moves and dont's, like do we change speeds with spindle moving or not moving? What's the neutral setting for spindle, a friend tried to get it there and only got to where there was a heavy drag but said he'd gone thru all speed changes. Stuff like that. We run a Leblond Regal 19" and some things look similar but we're sure there are lots of differences too, and I hate damaging machines or people due to my own ignorance.

rws
10-02-2016, 05:54 AM
I have one too! Had it for 8-10 years. Chambered many barrels with it.

Toolguy, my biggest complaint , when you swing the compound to 45 right, the compound locking screw aligns with the tee slot access point. Have you found a fix for this?

Baz
10-02-2016, 06:38 AM
Pictures on 't web look like any other gearhead lathe of the size and even has a screwcutting chart printed on to reduce the problem there, unless it is worn off or a much older version than the common pictures. You could get the equivalent manual for something that looks the same off the grizzly site as their manuals are some of the best around. For basic lathe operation google for the freely available download 'know your lathe' book.
Lathe gearboxes do not have synchromesh so always change gear stationary (like an old tractor in case you encounter one) and jiggle the chuck a bit if it doesn't slip into gear easily. Yes I know old cars had crash gearboxes and changed on the move but that assumed they were still in production to provide the occasional new gear.
By the way, based on a post on another forum, do NOT assume the screwcutting or feed gearbox automatically disengages on hitting the end.

rws
10-02-2016, 03:15 PM
The thread chart on my lathe is made wrong. I had to work out the TPIs myself for quite a few that I use often.

Cannonmn
10-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Thanks, when I posted I hadn't yet tried to use the lathe. Today we hooked it up and ran it to check controls. It is very much like our Leblond, in fact it almost looks like a smaller copy, basically same controls. So yes it is very typical. The inaccurate thread chart is a concern so we'll one-pass-thread some spare round stock to see what comes from what setting, or maybe someone will share the code.

Toolguy
10-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Hi guys-
Sorry to take so long, I've been away from the shop the last few days. My lathe is a 2008 model. I pulled the compound and looked at the T slot access point. It's at 9 o'clock so I don't run into that unless the compound is straight in line with the cross slide. My threading chart has been right for all the threads I've done so far, I haven't checked them all. I will try to post pics of the threading chart on my lathe soon. On my lathe, the threading rod has a brass shear pin and the feed rod has a spring loaded ball clutch. Mine also has a jog button on the control panel for gear changing. You can poke it to bump the spindle a little to get a gear to drop in.

Cannonmn
10-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Interesting, there's one manual for Acer 1440g online, not sure of date but it does have threading charts. I need to compare that with the table on the front of the machine.

Back in '06 there was a long discussion here regarding this. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/21085-VERY-strange-threading-problem-w-14X40-lathe.

Threading tables are on pp. 9-10 of this manual. http://cncmanual.com/acer-dynamic-lathe-1440g-user-manual/

rws
10-04-2016, 06:17 AM
My lathe is the VFD model, the precursor to the V model.

Cannonmn
10-04-2016, 08:53 AM
My lathe is the VFD model, the precursor to the V model.

I thought you had an Acer brand also, but my Acer has nothing on the nameplate like V or VFD. Is yours an Acer or a similar lathe by another maker? My Acer's total nameplate contents are: serial no. 9610093x, date 1996, model DYNAMIC 1440G.

Cannonmn
10-07-2016, 01:04 AM
https://springfieldarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/img_3777.jpg

Let's see if I can attach pic of the Acer threading chart on mine. Some has faded but mostly legible and at first glance appears same as one in the online manual. Wonder if I'm interpreting it correctly? Looks like you don't need to manually swap out gears at all for "inch" threading, the levers do it all as long as top and bottom gears remain as shown, 25 and 40 respectively.

But for metric you have to swap out among 7 different gears in the X and Y positions as well as setting levers. And what's the deal with "86" being shown as the main gear but "91" off to the side? If you have to replace 86 with 91 at times, when does that occur?

dave_r
10-07-2016, 01:17 AM
You've been caressing the lathe too much...maybe if you try using a different kind of lube the text will stop wearing off...

Cannonmn
10-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Please explain the gear legends 86 and 91 which occur side by side on both metric and inch thread tables on page 9 of the manual. The same image is on the lathe's metric threading chart but on lathe's inch threading chart, there are no numbers in or beside the center gear. 86? 91? What's that mean to the operator?

Toolguy
10-07-2016, 09:53 AM
On the inch threading chart, the 25 and 40 gear are both running off the 91 gear. The 91 is just an idler to connect the other 2. This is because the leadscew is 4 tpi, an inch thread. The number of teeth on the big gears is irrelevant for inch threads.

On the metric threading chart, The X gear at the top is always running on the 91 gear and the Y gear at the bottom is always running on the 86 gear. This provides the differential between the inch leadscrew and the turning of the spindle to give metric thread pitches.

Cannonmn
10-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Thank you sir, I definitely wouldn't get that on my own, now I'll go check what gears the former owner left on the shafts, and if I even have a full set.

Cannonmn
10-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Former owner never used the metric change gears, they are all in the little red toolbox with original preservative gunk. 25, 40, 86, and 91 gears are still mounted and dirty. Today I received the replacement for that all-important 30 volt peanut light bulb that lights the red "power" light on the front panel and I think we have everything the lathe came with originally, so we'll get it level and run the checks.

rws
10-07-2016, 05:38 PM
My lathe is E1440-G. It's a VFD model.

Cannonmn
10-08-2016, 11:01 AM
My lathe is E1440-G. It's a VFD model.

Thanks, and duh! on me for taking so long to pick up on what the coincentric circles on the threading diagram mean-if I had looked inside the gear cover before asking these questions I would have understood the picture since the 86 and 91- tooth gears are piggybacked. Small circle=86; large =91. Never dawned on me in the diagram alone.