PDA

View Full Version : Scientific American CDROM + Astro

nheng
07-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Some time ago I picked up the Scientific American CDROM real cheap from a surplus shop. I was searching for some optical stuff this morning and noticed all of the telescope and astronomy articles.

Evan and many others are into this and I thought I'd mention it for those who have not heard of it before.

The CDROM covers 1928 to 1999 and is an incredibly under-marketed product. It has a built in search funtion which is pretty good. Projects are all listed with an indicator of their hazard level from benign up to deadly (where's Thrud, he'd enjoy that level).

A quick search turned it up on Scientifics (used to be Edmund) site for $21.60 but out of stock at the moment.

If you enjoyed articles from the past such as building your own HeNe gas laser from SCRATCH, this disk is loaded with that stuff. It's also a piece of Americana IMHO.

Den

fixxit
07-24-2004, 04:27 PM
I recently purchased a copy of this CD from this site:
www.sciplus.com (http://www.sciplus.com)
Use their search engine to locate the "Amateur scientist"

The CD is really loaded, including some articles that they wished they had never published, such as a high power pulsed laser that can be scaled way up in power.
The articles were published before the lawyers and lawsuit mentality took over our country.

Fixxit

[This message has been edited by fixxit (edited 07-25-2004).]

bdarin
07-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Just ordered the CD. Sounds like my kind of stuff.

Evan
07-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Look for the Amateur Scientist article on making your very own linear accelerator. He he he, can you spell sterility?

BTW, the word amature no longer has the exact meaning it used to. Try a google search on "amature"

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 07-24-2004).]

nheng
07-24-2004, 09:05 PM
There's also one on genetically altering E-coli or some form of coli.

Don't do this in the kitchen before lunch though http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

abn
07-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Also great to check out the SAS (www.sas.org) in general...you can pick up the Amateur Scientist CD right on their site as well as explore other citizen based science projects. There's a Vegas convention in '05 too.

PeteM
07-25-2004, 07:06 PM
For what it's worth, Amazon carries this as well. $24.95 or so and free shipping if your total order exceeds $25.