PDA

View Full Version : stellite filler rod for TIG welding. A use?

JRouche
10-22-2016, 12:55 AM
I have 40 odd pounds of this stellite (kennametal) #6 filler. What can I use it for for in my lil home shop?

The question comes up cause there was some talk of a similar filler.

I cant think of a use here and have never melted some. I want to use it..

Give me a use please Gents. It wasn't cheep, I paid 100$ for the 40lbs.

Oh, I have made some steel on steel bushings for my car, it is 4140ph. No issues yet. Would the stellite filler be a good friction surface? JR

macona
10-22-2016, 02:02 AM
Probably not?

The stuff is probably made for making saw tips on bandsaw blades for commercial bandsaws. The bands (Huge) are indexed though a copper mold that surrounds the band's tooth and a plasma torch is used to form the final tooth with the filler. When all the teeth are done it is moved to a grinding machine that shapes the stellite to it's final form.

It probably has a higher scrap value then what you paid for it, FWIW.

IanPendle
10-22-2016, 02:50 AM
Macona is correct. I used to work in the tropical logging and sawmilling business. The timbers were all 'hardwoods' (ie non-conferous) and many species contained varying amounts of silica deposits which dulled conventional bandsaw blades very quickly. The use of stellite made some previously unusable species useable. It was expensive, but worthwhile. Maybe you can approach a local sawmill or saw sharpening service to see if they are interested? It's good that you know the grade as that may be important to such users.

Ian.

BigMike782
10-22-2016, 07:40 AM
It appears to be a cobalt base hard surface filler. Maybe craigslist or welding web.
What diameter is it?

TGTool
10-22-2016, 08:03 AM
I had a chainsaw years ago with a stellite tipped bar so that was one application for wear reduction. In that vein, I suppose you could fuse some onto blanks to make the stellite equivalent of carbide tipped lathe tools.

Carm
10-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Using 40# in a home shop environment is taxing my imagination.
It is a great hardface and cladding alloy, but the expense relegates use to environs requiring high temperature integrity, sort of a non-cutting tool equivalent to HSS sharing cobalt, tungsten and moly.
Refineries and other hot process pipe/valving and control users/fabricators use it.
Stellite saw teeth seem a niche application, IIRC, they wear well but either can't get or hold a dead sharp edge, as deposited the Rc is below 60.

If you found the right buyer you'd make your money back....$100/40# must have been quite some time ago.

Seastar
10-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Excavating contractors use hardfacing on their bucket and blade teeth on back hoes, bulldozers and other earth moving equipment although I think they use stick and not TIG.
A local one might buy it.
Bill

garyhlucas
10-22-2016, 09:23 AM
I used to hard face vibratory plows using a carbide paste that you fused down using Tig. The goal is to build deposit not penetrate the base metal so it goes quickly.

bborr01
10-22-2016, 11:31 AM
You won't be machining it after you hard surface anything with it. It will even give carbide tooling a run for it's money.

I used to use 1/16 stellite plate in an application where we had bead blast cleaning a part. The stellite was a mask to keep the steel behind it from eroding away.

Brian

OKChipmaker
10-22-2016, 01:19 PM
It is used (or at least was at one time)to repair cams and cam followers on textile machines.

Illinoyance
10-22-2016, 02:30 PM
I used #6 stellite to reface exhaust valves. I have also used it to provide a hard and corrosion resistant facing on water swivel spindles. It can be turned with carbide tools.

Use it anywhere you need a hard corrosion resistant overlay. You can aloso apply it with an oxy-acy torch using a reducing flame.

If you want to sell a couple pounds PM me.

Forrest Addy
10-22-2016, 04:21 PM
The question is: "which Stellite?" There's a couple dozen alloys in the rough category of "Stellite." Some are intended for cutting tools, some for hard facing wear points of draw molds, some for valve seat inlays, etc. Your first step is to identify the alloy (or alloys - you may have a mixed bag) you have. Determine the alloy, then seek a use for it. I bet a mold repair shop would jump at it.

loose nut
10-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Give me a use please Gents. It wasn't cheep, I paid 100$ for the 40lbs.

JR

That's cheap. When I was still working some years ago the company paided upwards of $600 for a 10# box. Maybe a different brand? We used it to hard surface the inside of Fabricated pipe "Y" pieces and put in as much as 100# each.

Ka-------chinge

JRouche
10-22-2016, 04:38 PM
The question is: "which Stellite?"

"I have 40 odd pounds of this stellite (kennametal) #6 filler." Numba 6 Forrest..

Ok, thanks guys, useless for me then. I kinda figured that. No, not looking to sell any. Just ran across it the other day and wondered WHY, why do I have it and what can I do with it. I guess Ill just ignore it for another 20 years :) Thanks again, JR

MichaelP
10-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Long-term investment?:)

JRouche
10-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Long-term investment?:)

Prolly line my urn with it for after I croak and go through the fiery cabinet :) JR

Forrest Addy
10-22-2016, 07:51 PM
"I have 40 odd pounds of this stellite (kennametal) #6 filler." Numba 6 Forrest..

Ok, thanks guys, useless for me then. I kinda figured that. No, not looking to sell any. Just ran across it the other day and wondered WHY, why do I have it and what can I do with it. I guess Ill just ignore it for another 20 years :) Thanks again, JR

D'oh!

http://stellite.com/portals/0/kmt_stellite_6alloy_data_final.pdf

Wear resistance. Not too good for saw teeth or cutting edges but excellent for inlays at wear points. Probably also good for inlays for steam valve seats and disks. Find a weld shop serving these niches.

kf2qd
10-22-2016, 09:18 PM
He stated that it is Stellite #6 wire. Useful for wear and corrosion resistant coating. Works nice as a wear surface on any part on ag or construction equipment that contacts the ground. Also used in various other industries where wear resistance is needed. Apply in multiple layers as the first layer will be diluted by the base metal. Not heat-treatable, but is able to produce a Rockwell 45 hardness. It is a Cobalt based alloy. There are also Nickel based allows that are comparable.

Jpfalt
10-29-2016, 11:07 PM
You got a real steal on that rod. Last time I looked it ran new for $70 per pound. I've used it on bandsaws, circular saws, chainsaws, wear bushings, valve seats and any number of places where you need relatively hard material with excellent wear resistance.
When you weld with it try to avoid melting and mixing in base metal as iron contamination in the alloy substantially decreases it's wear properties. In most applications, you want to apply at least two layers so that the top layer has less iron contamination.

I designed a machine for Armstrong Manufacturing that used resistance welding to apply the stellite and that got away from the contamination issue. On valve seats, a 2x oxyacetylene flame seems to work best for cladding and does best at avoiding cracks and porosity.

Originally, stellite was developed to make cutting tools for metal machining and was used as the first version of high speed steel by the Germans during WW1. You could just apply some to mild steel square stock and grind it into cutting tools for the lathe.

kf2qd
10-29-2016, 11:25 PM
You got a real steal on that rod. Last time I looked it ran new for $70 per pound. I've used it on bandsaws, circular saws, chainsaws, wear bushings, valve seats and any number of places where you need relatively hard material with excellent wear resistance.
When you weld with it try to avoid melting and mixing in base metal as iron contamination in the alloy substantially decreases it's wear properties. In most applications, you want to apply at least two layers so that the top layer has less iron contamination.

I designed a machine for Armstrong Manufacturing that used resistance welding to apply the stellite and that got away from the contamination issue. On valve seats, a 2x oxyacetylene flame seems to work best for cladding and does best at avoiding cracks and porosity.

Originally, stellite was developed to make cutting tools for metal machining and was used as the first version of high speed steel by the Germans during WW1. You could just apply some to mild steel square stock and grind it into cutting tools for the lathe.

Actually, it was first developed for use as electrodes in spark plugs, but they soon found other uses. My dad was a machinist in Europe (England and France) during WWII and he used stellite tools. Use in valve seat insets was a real boost during WWII. Helped the time-between-overhaul numbers on those two and three row radials and helped keep the allies in the air. I worked for them for several years and developed the controls for one of their PTA application systems. We welded using a powder fed to the arc. Also available in wire and stick for arc welding, and stick form for applying with oxyfuel or Tig. Was in one shop that cast stellite to make valve seats. Lost wax process in a tree just like piston rings. They also made valve seats that were steel with a stellite bead on the top. Guess it was cheaper than casting for the big ones. Flights on extruder augers for injection molding machines and other various types of extruders.

BCRider
10-30-2016, 02:13 AM
I missed this one the first time around. But I'd say that a little of it TIG'ed onto the face of an otherwise softer steel anvil would make for a superbly durable facing.

Or for that matter anything else you wanted to hard face. Make up your own hammer and face it with roughly 1/4" of the stellite rod? I' bet that would stand up just great!

JRouche
10-30-2016, 02:27 AM
I've used it on bandsaws, circular saws, chainsaws, wear bushings, valve seats and any number of places where you need relatively hard material with excellent wear resistance..

Thank you Sir. When looking for a use it always came up valve seats. Not interested in that. I TIG weld and want to make sure to not waste this filler, thats all.. I like what you are doing..

Thank you all for the input. You fixed my issue, now get out :) JR

strokersix
10-30-2016, 12:43 PM
I have seen stellite O/A brazed to build up and rework forging trim die edges. A lot of hand work and fitting.