PDA

View Full Version : OT: OBD2 scan tool or software options

DS_park
11-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Looking for OBD2 with ABS hand held tester or laptop program recommendations.

An ABS failure on my GM Malibu necessitated uses of the loaner scanner from the local auto parts retailer to identify which wheel sensor was bad. The auto store’s loaner (use in their parking lot only) is a Bosch 1350 at $299. I was considering the Bosch 1150 unit for $150. A coworker mentioned using a laptop with a program and interface cable. Does anyone have any recommendations?

To quote another member, better to have tools I don’t use than need a tool I don’t have.

edit: a Band saw, Press, and hoist probably have first dibs on the $299 bucket over a tester. $150 or less is much more appealing to the budget.

dave_r
11-01-2016, 03:19 PM
I use Autogenuity with the GM Enhancement for my truck, an '04 Sierra 3500. Works well, talks to all the different computers in the truck (there are a bunch) and also performs various vehicle-specific tasks such as bleeding the ABS brake system. I recommend it to anyone with a vehicle from around that time or newer, that they want to keep for some time and work on themselves.

CCWKen
11-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Timely post. I just had the ABS light come on in the 92 Ford Taurus. It's old so it's OBDI. It flashes the ABS light with the code(s) but I haven't been able to find what the codes mean. (IIRC - 42, 43 & 44) Mine started after I had to stand on the brakes quite hard in highway traffic. Right after that the car developed a shimmy and a few days later the left front tire blew out. All kinds of wires hanging out of the 8-year old Michelin tire. Apparently, the hard stop tore the tread from the belts. I didn't expect that from Michelins but they were already showing age cracks. I popped for four new tires but the ABS light is still on. :(

dave_r
11-01-2016, 03:24 PM
This site has some odbi trouble codes:

http://www.troublecodes.net/ford/

CCWKen
11-01-2016, 03:30 PM
This site has some odbi trouble codes:

http://www.troublecodes.net/ford/

Except it has nothing on ABS.

H380
11-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Just get a $10 to $30 reader and Google the codes. I have a $20 dollar reader from 15 years ago. Its has paid for it self 100x.

studentjim
11-01-2016, 05:43 PM
I bought one from Amazon for around $50. It is hand held and also does abs codes.

fixerdave
11-01-2016, 06:44 PM
You can get bluetooth OBDII readers from China for next to nothing. The software for your Android tablet/phone is free. The one I use gives me the generic codes and a brief description. It also lets me clear the code so the light goes out.

My first OBDII reader was an interface box with cables and software that ran on a laptop... north of $200. My second one was bluetooth, at $70. Both worked as expected, though the laptop version is a pain to use. My latest one was stupid-cheap, like $5. I figured I'd just leave it in the vehicle running all the time. But, it doesn't appear to work with Chrysler's OBDII standard.

The lessons here are that the prices are dropping like a rock and that not all readers work with all vehicles. If you go the China/bluetooth route, try to stick with "ELM" compatible and hope for the best. Oh, and I run Torque Lite on the tablet. There may be better, but that's the first one I found that worked, and I stopped looking after that.

David...

P.S. Never had an ABS failure so I don't know if my bluetooth one will do that.

01-7700
11-02-2016, 01:47 PM
I have a wireless ELM type module that works with my iPad - it was very cheap, maybe $25 altogether for hardware and software. The one cool thing it does is you can reverse the monitor image and use it as a HUD at night on the dashboard. The thing I don't like about it, and other ELM type unit that I had prior is that it doesn't have access to a lot of sensors on my F150 like tranny temp, it isn't good at catching misfires, two things that I have needed recently. It will do rpm, mpg, coolant and intake temp, read codes, the simple stuff. My mechanic says that his code reader will do everything that mine won't - but his unit is on a cart.

Ed ke6bnl
11-02-2016, 03:06 PM
What is a good brand, I have one that works great on all vehicles and have had 4 cheapies that never worked this is android.

DS_park
11-02-2016, 04:57 PM
ABS seems to be the tipping point. Most of the inexpensive scanners or Bluetooth to your phone systems do not do ABS.

Found out that Actron and Bosch are pretty much the same units. Different color and different model but same innards.
Looking pretty hard at the Actron CP9670 (Bosch 1150). Its up-gradable via pc and be found starting at $120 shipped from known reputation suppliers.

CCWKen
11-02-2016, 08:22 PM
I've got the Actron CP9185/90 (All the connectors). It's a pretty nice unit. The drawback is that Actron is slow to release updates. I got mine in 2006 and it had a firmware update dated 10/06/2009. The last PC software update was something like 2012. (For Windows 7) If you go through the menu to manually pick a vehicle, for example Ford, it shows years 1985 to 2005 then "2006 and newer". I don't feel real confident that it will handle "and newer" even though it's CAN compliant but I haven't tried it. I'll have to see if the B.I.L. will let me stick it on his new Chrysler 300. :)

RTPBurnsville
11-03-2016, 07:29 AM
Harbor Freight has their code reader with ABS for south of $100 in the latest flyer. If you want no investment, try the local auto parts store, some will let you use one for free.

Robert

CCWKen
11-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Harbor Freight has their code reader with ABS for south of $100 in the latest flyer. If you want no investment, try the local auto parts store, some will let you use one for free.

Robert
The only one I see with ABS is north of $100. And the reviews state it doesn't work on GM vehicles. (OP's car)
http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd-ii-scan-tool-with-abs-60794.html

No help for me either as mine is OBDI. :(

RTPBurnsville
11-03-2016, 03:08 PM
The only one I see with ABS is north of $100. And the reviews state it doesn't work on GM vehicles. (OP's car)
http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd-ii-scan-tool-with-abs-60794.html

No help for me either as mine is OBDI. :(

Item #60794 is $94.99 with coupon in the latest flyer (November 2015 Issue 8658-6) good until 12/31/16...... No idea what cars it will or will not work with.

Robert

tmarks11
11-04-2016, 07:20 PM
What is a good brand, I have one that works great on all vehicles and have had 4 cheapies that never worked this is android.
ScanTool LX or MX bluetooth.