PDA

View Full Version : New "forum" needed...

10KPete
11-11-2016, 07:54 PM
I'd like to suggest that there be a new Forum on this board. A place for some of us to cuss and discuss the issues associated with age....

OFF

Old Farts Forum

Respectfully getting older by the hour,
Pete

fastfire
11-11-2016, 08:20 PM
grrrrrrajhtxcunixmruxnexhgfgmrcnekxjrn fncn Ya, I think so toooo.

CCWKen
11-11-2016, 08:39 PM
There's plenty of other sites that are dedicated to age and health issues. This is a home shop machinist forum. If the topic is related to that, such as lift assists for lathe chucks or milling vises, RTs, etc then I could see it appropriate. Otherwise, nobody wants to hear about your hemorrhoids or plastic teeth here. :)

oxford
11-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Fwiw, This is a good place and pretty well run but there are a few things that are needed.

There really needs to be a general discussion area where all the OT stuff goes and turn the current "general" into machining related only. While there are other forums that any of the OT can be discussed on, people seem to find a home on forums and will talk about OT items. I don't see a problem with it, I do it myself but it would make it a lot easier if there was a different section for it.

Posters also should be posting welding and firearms related in the proper areas and not in general. Moderators should stay on top of moving posts to the correct areas if they are mot posted in it.

On edit, there was currently 4 OT threads in the 20 active on the 1st page not including this one, a few were questionable with shop tool questions. So 25% of the general machining section is OT. Yup time for its own section.

10KPete
11-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Otherwise, nobody wants to hear about your hemorrhoids or plastic teeth here. :)

If this stuff were in its own section, then you wouldn't have to read it! :rolleyes:

FWIW, I click on the "New Posts" button and check 'em all...

Pete

lugnut
11-11-2016, 09:36 PM
There is a forum some place for old farts, It's called AARP we have more sections here than needed now. At 75 I think if your too old for that, you probably shouldn't be operating machine tools.

Frank Ford
11-11-2016, 09:41 PM
There is a forum some place for old farts, It's called AARP we have more sections here than needed now. If your too old for that, you probably shouldn't be operating machine tools.

Right! For a minute, I, too, made the mistake of taking 100P's suggestion as a serious one - it should have had a "nyuk nyuk" or smiley to make it clear it was a bit of humor. AND, I agree that this place has exactly the right number of sub-forums. Take a look at the mess over at Hobby-Machinist. There are so many subs the entire effort is a scrambled mess, with any number of inactive corners.

With the bulk of stuff in a big "general" place, it's much more fun to see what comes up, so I find myself learning about things I didn't know I would find interesting. If it were all categorized, I'd miss a lot of fun.

garyhlucas
11-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Yup, if a forum has a "show unread posts" function that is what I use and I have no idea what section they posted in. Either it is good forum with interesting people and topics or its not. I think the nots vote for more organization.

Paul Alciatore
11-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Perhaps I should not be jumping in, but I like this forum the way it is. It is one of the friendliest forums on the web. I think of like the water cooler or the coffee room at work where the discussion can be on almost anything.

If you want a strict forum, try

practicalmachinist.com

They limit the discussion a lot more. And I can appreciate the need for BOTH types of forums.

As for an Old Farts forum, I am not too sure it would be a good thing. I have enough reminders of my age as things are now. I try to think young. It may not work all the time, but I do try.

john b
11-12-2016, 12:00 AM
I spent about 50yrs working in machine shops. Never heard anybody say hey this is a machine shop you can't talk about that. One thing i did learn, is that there are cry babies every where you go.
John b

Mcgyver
11-12-2016, 08:18 AM
I spent about 50yrs working in machine shops. Never heard anybody say hey this is a machine shop you can't talk about that. One thing i did learn, is that there are cry babies every where you go.
John b

so what did you guys think of the idiot who couldn't shut up about his hemorrhoids?

I'm with Ken, nobody wants to hear someones medical problems. It's a basic social faux pas many were never taught - think of that guy at the party "well let me tell you about my operation....". groan and plan your escape, its even worse than the insurance salesman

Carm
11-12-2016, 09:53 AM
I did not conclude that the OP's proposal was solely to relate medical woes.
There is a lot more to aging than that, although that might be true for those perpetually looking back in comparison.

wdtom44
11-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Clint Eastwood, in his Playboy interview some years ago, said "Some people are old before their time because they think old". Stop thinking old.

flylo
11-12-2016, 10:41 AM
so what did you guys think of the idiot who couldn't shut up about his hemorrhoids?
I think he was a pain in the arse:p

GEP
11-12-2016, 10:56 AM
I'd like to suggest that there be a new Forum on this board. A place for some of us to cuss and discuss the issues associated with age....

OFF

Old Farts Forum

Respectfully getting older by the hour,
Pete

I qualify but i think all need to keep there health issues to them self this is not payton place. Cussing is not necessary to get a point across

mklotz
11-12-2016, 11:03 AM
I qualify but i think all need to keep there health issues to them self this is not payton place. Cussing is not necessary to get a point across

In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances,
profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

Peter.
11-12-2016, 11:13 AM
"Women cry to keep from swearing, men swear to keep from crying" - E.E.'Doc' Smith

Black Forest
11-12-2016, 12:09 PM
When our daughter was 8 or 9 years old she told a boy about the same age who was poking a stick through the fence at a goat, "If my daddy sees you doing that he is going to come out here and cut your head off and piss down your throat."
The boy ran off screaming. It was a an American church group staying at our place. One of the adults with the group went over to my daughter and asked her if she understood exactly what she had said. She told the adult she had heard me say that to someone that I was mad at so she said it to the boy. The adult told my daughter that it was not to polite what she had said to the boy. My daughter looked her in the eye and told her she wasn't trying to be polite and it worked. The adult told me this story and we both laughed pretty hard. I did mention that I might have to watch what I say in the future.

The moral to the story is...........sometimes it takes a bit of a shock to get your point to sink in.

Mike Amick
11-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Clint Eastwood, in his Playboy interview some years ago, said "Some people are old before their time because they think old". Stop thinking old.

I also remember a quote from him .. being interviewed about his marriage to a women 30 or 40 years
younger than him ..

When asked if he was worried about the age difference, he said ..

"Hey if she dies ... she dies .. "

John Stevenson
11-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Well I'm really pleased this subject has come up as I have just got out of hospital.......................................... .................................................. ..

Black Forest
11-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Well I'm really pleased this subject has come up as I have just got out of hospital.......................................... .................................................. ..

What were you in for? I hope it wasn't serious. Tell us all the gory details!;)

cameron
11-12-2016, 12:34 PM
In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances,
profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

It wasn't that quote, but my wife heard a psychologist or something say pretty much the same thing on CBC radio.

I don't care how she talks at home, but I might be standing further away from her when we're out in public.

Weston Bye
11-12-2016, 01:57 PM
When our daughter was 8 or 9 years old she told a boy about the same age who was poking a stick through the fence at a goat, "If my daddy sees you doing that he is going to come out here and cut your head off and piss down your throat."
The boy ran off screaming. It was a an American church group staying at our place. One of the adults with the group went over to my daughter and asked her if she understood exactly what she had said. She told the adult she had heard me say that to someone that I was mad at so she said it to the boy. The adult told my daughter that it was not to polite what she had said to the boy. My daughter looked her in the eye and told her she wasn't trying to be polite and it worked. The adult told me this story and we both laughed pretty hard. I did mention that I might have to watch what I say in the future.

The moral to the story is...........sometimes it takes a bit of a shock to get your point to sink in.

LOL! Best story I've heard in a long time. Good for your daughter!

Magicniner
11-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Farmers?
Let me tell you about my Farmers!
Chalfonts ain't no joke!
;-)

John Stevenson
11-12-2016, 03:24 PM
What were you in for? I hope it wasn't serious. Tell us all the gory details!;)

No..................

justanengineer
11-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Meh, there's no point. It doesnt matter what forum, subforum, or topic comes up the geezers are always gonna gripe about younger folks' opinions, proclaim their superior knowledge based upon "experience," and pat each other on the back. The fact that most are sheltered yuppies is usually forgotten. JMO but I enjoyed the internet much more back in the 90s before the current "older" generation became geriatric and internet access commonplace.

As for adding forums, we've got too many already and not enough contributors. Its not as bad as cnczone but certainly makes the board seem slow most days. Lately Ive been enjoying following the chat room conversation as much as the forum.

Joel
11-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Meh, there's no point. It doesnt matter what forum, subforum, or topic comes up the geezers are always gonna gripe about younger folks' opinions, proclaim their superior knowledge based upon "experience," and pat each other on the back. The fact that most are sheltered yuppies is usually forgotten. JMO but I enjoyed the internet much more back in the 90s before the current "older" generation became geriatric and internet access commonplace.

While I don't see a whole lot of what you purport, still, it is wise to be tolerant and not be too harsh with a minority you hope and strive to become part of.
If you don't become old, it will be because you became dead...

Yeah, I know - you won't be like that at all when YOU get old.

mklotz
11-12-2016, 03:53 PM

Hospital? I thought they called them asylums now. Did they decide you were no longer a risk to yourself or others?

Mcgyver
11-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Meh, there's no point. It doesnt matter what forum, subforum, or topic comes up the geezers are always gonna gripe about younger folks' opinions, proclaim their superior knowledge based upon "experience," and pat each other on the back. The fact that most are sheltered yuppies is usually forgotten. J.

yeah it was a heck of lot better when i knew everything, long before running several businesses, raising a family, building umpteen things, a graduate degree, traveling the world and so on :) To become good, you have to learn in many different ways, one of which is variety and experience.

Alistair Hosie
11-12-2016, 05:49 PM
That's quite enough Mr Fastfire fun is one thing but you take this to a new low. Don't you know there are some impressionable grown ups here ? Alistair

GEP
11-12-2016, 06:00 PM
That's quite enough Mr Fastfire fun is one thing but you take this to a new low. Don't you know there are some impressionable grown ups here ? Alistair

:D:D:D Funny

John Stevenson
11-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Hospital? I thought they called them asylums now. Did they decide you were no longer a risk to yourself or others?

LOL ;)

Dan_the_Chemist
11-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Old age and machining...

Where can I buy a digital micrometer patterned after the Jitterbug phone - numbers big enough to read?

When did a Kurt vice become so heavy I am thinking about getting some mechanical help to move it?

When did all the graduations on my cross slide dials get fuzzy?

Why is everything in my shop at the perfect height to make my back hurt when I use it?

I think the surface plate is fine exactly where it is. Yes, it might be more convenient over there, but it's fine over here. :)

Even though I have much less time left in my life, I seem to have more patience to complete projects slowly.

Did I really used to be able to carry this anvil around?

justanengineer
11-13-2016, 01:56 AM
While I don't see a whole lot of what you purport, still, it is wise to be tolerant and not be too harsh with a minority you hope and strive to become part of.
If you don't become old, it will be because you became dead...

Yeah, I know - you won't be like that at all when YOU get old.

Apologies if my previous post contained a bit too much candor, however the notion of a forum for older folks to gripe about age is somewhat comical since the usual brunt of their age-related griping is younger folks, hence the old stereotype.

No, I will not be that way if I live to retirement because that would be a lousy betrayal of both myself and mentors who are quite the opposite. As for becoming dead in the meantime, I would not suggest that is a terrible thing anymore than I would suggest becoming old is difficult or an accomplishment to strive for. At 22 body armor saved my life in Iraq, had it not my will would have told family not to mourn possibilities as I'd lived a full life up to that point. Make hay while the sun shines, dont hate the rain bc its inevitable.

yeah it was a heck of lot better when i knew everything, long before running several businesses, raising a family, building umpteen things, a graduate degree, traveling the world and so on :) To become good, you have to learn in many different ways, one of which is variety and experience.

Nice edit, I found the "child" dig a tad more honest.

YOU may have been arrogant and had limited knowledge and experience at a younger age, doesnt mean someone that age shares those traits and cannot have more experience than you ever will. Not all of us learned a skill or profession in school or even during legal working years, some of us grew up in it. Discounting an opinion, suggestion, or idea based upon age is equally as ignorant as trusting someone based upon the "I did this for 20+ years" nonsense. A good analogy is hobby forums vs professional forums, often the hobbyist overcomes a relative (vs the pro) lack of tools with an excess of creativity. Who should we ask questions of? I prefer both, I dont care if its a HSM, a junior engineer, a tech on the shop floor, or the men's room attendant, a good idea is a good idea. My career is dependent on finding good ideas, so I'd rather sort through a mountain of bad than miss a good one.

DATo
11-13-2016, 04:16 AM
I have offered many bits of advice over the years that I have been associated with this website to younger machinists and newbies, am I wrong to ask for their support and patience now that I am in need of advice?

You can all laugh but there really isn't anything funny about entering your senior years. I am going to retire in two months and I've been fluxmoxed by all of the things I've had to deal with here in the U.S.A. with regard to registering for Social Security, Medicare, supplemental insurance, professional tax consultations and my pension program. I literally took off work all of last week to deal with these issues exclusively and I'm still not done.

I agree with those who say this is a website for home shop machinists and that should be the main thrust of the conversation, but given that so many of us are older and are either in need of or are in a position to offer advice on retirement and senior issues in all its aspects I don't think the idea of at least starting a thread to this topic is unjustified. Jesus! I mean, we have a forum for jokes don't we?

EDIT:
Instead of a forum how about a simple "Old Fart's" thread where people like us older guys can compare experiences and help each other through the maze of senior issues both specific to each country and / or common to all?

/

Mcgyver
11-13-2016, 07:54 AM
. Discounting an opinion, suggestion, or idea based upon age is equally as ignorant as trusting someone based upon the "I did this for 20+ years" nonsense

In short I agree. It's poor form and intellectually void to suggest the reason for doing something is that me and me pappy always did it that way; give me the reasons. At the same time, you'd do well to lose the chip. All things being equal (an important qualifier) one with experience is better off. Experience in includes education, continuing ed, info from others around you, practical, and a broad spectrum of things in life..... obviously there's a lot more to learning and life than being "just an engineer". Some people have one big experience, others, the Renaissance man, has a countless variety in many disciplines. A key thing is to learn to judge who to listen to, regardless of the age. Mostly the ones worth listening to I find don't assume age makes them right and they give the reasons for what they say...at the same they are usually the ones with substantial experience.

I also agree on the pro vs hobby thing some exhibit. I get why its there, but the attitude doesn't bother me, it's not my loss.

Black Forest
11-13-2016, 08:03 AM
I don't have enough money to retire or get sick!:mad:

studentjim
11-13-2016, 08:57 AM
I don't have enough money to retire or get sick!:mad:

I agree, when I die the family will have to sell my treasures to bury me.

GEP
11-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Old age and machining...

Where can I buy a digital micrometer patterned after the Jitterbug phone - numbers big enough to read?

When did a Kurt vice become so heavy I am thinking about getting some mechanical help to move it?

Why is everything in my shop at the perfect height to make my back hurt when I use it?

I think the surface plate is fine exactly where it is. Yes, it might be more convenient over there, but it's fine over here. :)

Even though I have much less time left in my life, I seem to have more patience to complete projects slowly.

Dan you just need need stronger glasses. Eat more protein and some muscle building food going to the jimnasium would help. Just keep in mind you can still out do the young bucks :o

gellfex
11-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Old age and machining...

The Igaging Ezcal has a some quirks like a too fast timeout, but damn is the display big, and it's cheap @ $28.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61g9e3fusWL._SL256_.jpg

FWIW I've reverently referred to this group as the "Old Farts Machinists" for years when talking to my wife. It's part of the charm and at nearly 55 I guess I'm there. I love the fact that almost any question about the physical world can be answered intelligently here. The depth of knowledge and experience is boggling.

madokie
11-13-2016, 09:35 PM
how about ,The Lobby, or Members helping Members ?

Dave C
11-14-2016, 02:06 AM
Old age and machining...

Add that even though my height is shrinking, the floor seems to have gotten further away.

dave_r
11-14-2016, 03:19 AM
Roll onto your back and it'll get closer? :p

old mart
11-14-2016, 02:47 PM
I enjoy the OT threads, if there was a separate listing for it, I wouldn't mind a bit.
Many forums have have an anything goes area.