PDA

View Full Version : OT - Little known favorites

MikeL46
11-16-2016, 05:40 PM
We all have them, maybe because we have quirky tastes, maybe 'cause most people have no taste.

Anyway, here's a couple of mine:

- Movie: Paris, Texas. Too slow for today's 10 second attention span. No fights, no guns, no explosions. One of my favorites.

- National Park: Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Unit. Remote, isolated, quiet, beautiful, under appreciated.

What have you got? I could have listed several, but try to keep it to one or two per category.

Mike

DATo
11-16-2016, 08:11 PM
OK ... I'll bite.

Favorite little known movies - The Red Violin and Cinema Paradiso

Favorite little known breakfast - Alaska Burger (toasted English muffin, jellied & buttered, with large dollop of cottage or ricotta cheese)

Favorite little known lunch - The Hodges Slinger (fried wedge potatoes, two fried hamburger patties, two eggs sunny side up, all covered in Hodges chile)

Favorite little known fruit - Freshly grown figs (I harvested over 700 from my two tress this year)

Favorite little known piece of music - Andrew Lloyd Webber's [I]Pia Jesu

Favorite little known transposition of pop song to unusually suited instrument - Toto - Africa - Amy Turk, Harp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeuOmieaMM&index=1&list=RDyyeuOmieaMM

EDIT:
Favorite little known thriller novel - Fail-Safe by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler

Doozer
11-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Movie: The Blues Brothers (1976?)
Food: Tortellini and cheesy ranch salad dressing (done in the microwave).
Park: Chestnut Ridge park (In Buffalo Ny)
Penetrant: Kroil
Truck: International Harvesters
Engines: Detroit 2 strokes
Small engines: Honda
Dress: Flannel and plad and jeans
Gravy: on French fries
Quality or quantity: Quality.
Iphone or Android: neither, Flip phone
Welding: Tig and Stick
Jaws: 4

-Doozer

Tim Clarke
11-16-2016, 09:32 PM
Okay, I'll bite.....

Movie Star: John Wayne
Food: double bacon cheeseburger
Pickup Truck: OLD Fords
Vacation spot: Plentywood, Montana
Shotgun: Winchester Model 12
Rifle: Remington 700 Stainless Varmint Fluted, 22-250. Think 1" 5 shot groups @ 200 yards
Author: Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe Mysteries)
Phone: Flip
Lathe: Lagun Turnmaster
Dog: English Setter.( Now retired, old, but still the best bird dog I've ever hunted with)

TC

Tim Clarke
11-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Movie: The Blues Brothers (1976?)
Food: Tortellini and cheesy ranch salad dressing (done in the microwave).
Park: Chestnut Ridge park (In Buffalo Ny)
Truck: International Harvesters
Engines: Detroit 2 strokes
Small engines: Honda
Dress: Flannel and plad and jeans
Gravy: on French fries
Quality or quantity: Quality.
Iphone or Android: neither, Flip phone
Welding: Tig and Stick

-Doozer

Doozer, I'm with ya, all except the Green Grenades!
Regards, TC

darryl
11-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Favorite songs- Early Morning Rain, as done by Peter Paul and Mary. Riders on the Storm, The Doors. Radar Love, Golden Earring. Too many more to mention.

Favorite movie- don't have one.

Favorite snack lately- home made dark chocolate and peanut butter cookies.

Favorite drink of late- Yeager shots.

J Tiers
11-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Favorite area for C-C skiing : Crosby Lake Park (It's in St Paul, down by the river past the old Ford plant site)

Favorite beer: Golden Pheasant

Favorite lunch: German Farmer's lunch (Bratwurst, Kartofflen, Sauerkraut, Senf, und, naturlich, Bier)

Andre3127
11-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Some more crumbs for the NSA LOL

Favorite tool brand: Mitutoyo
Favorite machine: Surface grinder
Future big project: BMW e30 w/ American v8 6 speed swap
Favorite state: PA or CO
Bench vise: Colombian

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Joel
11-17-2016, 01:16 AM
Favorite-
Axis: X (Y-not)
Humor: Warped
Species: Bellus Feminam (Cutis Femailus)
Bearing: Tapered roller
Undergarments: Clean/hole free
Food, author, tool, gun, vehicle, movie or musician/group: It depends, so no one favorite

darryl
11-17-2016, 01:59 AM
I like the favorite shop tool or machine idea- mine would be the 12 inch diameter, 4 inch wide drum sander.

Puckdropper
11-17-2016, 02:45 AM
Little Red Caps - They keep caulk tubes fresh and sealed for about a year or two
Boelube Wax - Easy to handle and makes a huge difference when drilling
Sharp Drill bits - If you don't know why, you've never used one.

Bonus mention: KeePass. Store those little-used passwords behind a master password so you don't have to keep reusing passwords. The modern equivalent to "write it down!"

Seastar
11-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Tool- dead blow hammer
Rifle- AR10 I just built, .75 MOA on the bench
Pistol- the Judge by Tarus
Big engine- the 510 CI Chevy with a 6-71 blower in my 32 Ford High Boy
Little engine- the 110 CI in my 57 TR3
Lunch- a bowl of the clam chowder at the Raw Bar in Fort Lauderdale Florida
Dinner- anything on the menu at Bonge's Tavern in Perkinsville Indiana
Art- anything painted by Rosetta Santiago of Santa Fe NM
Song- Crazy by Patsy Cline
Movie- any Star Wars
Animal- our black bears at the Wildlife Research Institute in Ely Minnesota and Ted at the North American Bear Center
School- EE School at Purdue University in West Lafayette Indiana
Daly Driver- my Jeep SRT
Pastime- Deep Sea Fishing
Airplane- CarbonCub by CubCrafters
Woman- Shirley, my wife of 64 years.
And that says it all
Bill

H380
11-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Car ride to nowhere. US 90 between San Antonio TX and Van Horn TX. Make sure to go in July or August.

Mcgyver
11-17-2016, 08:42 PM
fun thread idea Mike

Movie: Sugarman, Fastest Indian
Humour: Yes
Park: What’s that?
Movie Star: Tom Hanks
City: hmmmm NY or London
Music Genre: Blues to Rock to Classical with a bit of dark stuff, experimental and other nonsense
Machine: probably the DSG
Restaurant: Rainbow Room for the ultimate in panache
Author: Dickens, Mailer, maybe Ludlum
Drink: any single malts, stuff from the small breweries or red wine
Food: Immodestly my own, I love cooking and cook styles of food from all over
Take out: Indian, great little chinese place near us
Fast Food:
Animal: John Belushi
Sport used to do: sailing hockey skiing biking running
Sport currently do:
Sport to watch: hockey if an answer is required
Saying: Business is simple until you get your first employee
Favorite Forum: Ahhh, you guys know that one 

Weston Bye
11-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Okay, I'll bite.....

Movie Star: John Wayne
Food: double bacon cheeseburger
Pickup Truck: OLD Fords
Vacation spot: Plentywood, Montana
Shotgun: Winchester Model 12
Rifle: Remington 700 Stainless Varmint Fluted, 22-250. Think 1" 5 shot groups @ 200 yards
Author: Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe Mysteries)
Phone: Flip
Lathe: Lagun Turnmaster
Dog: English Setter.( Now retired, old, but still the best bird dog I've ever hunted with)

TC

Tim,
Why Plentywood? I've been there. My great grandparents homesteaded there (well, near Dooley) back around 1905 - 1910.
I went out there once back in 2005 for a family reunion.
Stayed in Plentywood, but the reunion was across the border in Gladmar, Canada where my great aunt married and farmed.
Not much out there, not even Dooley anymore...explains why my granddad came to Michigan.

Evan
11-18-2016, 01:59 AM
Rødgrød med Fløde. This is a Danish red berry pudding with cream, preferably lightly whipped. It has a sharp tang but is very sweet. The name is unpronounceable by English speakers unless they learned Danish as a young child. It is a set of glottal stops that are not part of any English spoken language and once one is bit older than 10 years or so it is virtually impossible to teach your mouth and throat how to make the correct movements.

Pureland Chanting from China. This is a form of music that is nothing like what you might think from the term "chanting". It is a form of chanting but is often accompanied by a symphony orchestra or similar. It is beautiful music of a type you would not normally think is present in China.

Aurora in a dark night sky, especially deep blue aurora. Incredible to see and not common since it requires intense ionization of nitrogen at low altitudes. I have pictures of same.

The sound of wind and snowflakes on an aeolian harp. Impossible to truely describe, one must hear it. Tiny snowflakes go "clink, clink, clinkity clink with a background of the wind symphony.

Sleeping under a Danish eiderdown. Nothing better or more comfortable, especially in cold weather. One will never feel cold under one of these no matter what draft there may be. I have two I bought in Denmark.

Forgot to mention I also like Industrial Heavy Metal, such as Rammstein from Germany.

kc5ezc
11-18-2016, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Weston Bye;1079965]Tim,
Why Plentywood? I've been there.
Me too, Weston. Went across the border (North Dakota) for grins and had a drink a bar.
Paid with a twenty dollar bill and got silver dollars in change!
This was in the mid 60s.
Great minds or something, I guess.
Color: Blue
Vehicle: karman-Ghia or Volvo P1800
Food: Lots
Music: Classical and western
Books: Eclectic

Weston Bye
11-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Why Plentywood? I've been there.
Me too, Weston. Went across the border (North Dakota) for grins and had a drink a bar.
Paid with a twenty dollar bill and got silver dollars in change!

Yep, great granddad would always give each grandchild a silver dollar when he came to visit.

By the way, another pair of great grandparents settled and opened a general store in Drake, North Dakota.

Stepside
11-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Plentywood Montana

Since it has been mentioned several times, here is my connection to the town. My supervising teacher in 1963 had been the music teacher and the Manual Training teacher in Plentywood. I don't know the exact year but would suspect that it was not to long after WW2. He left Plentywood for Colville Washington and then Kirkland Washington where he finished his career.

His favorite Plentywood story had to do with the kid that shot the powder magazine and all they ever found was one shoe with the foot still in it.

Years later they were carpeting one of our classrooms and the workers were giving one of their fellow employees a lot of crap laced with Sheep references. I asked which part of Montana and he said Plentywood. I remarked that all I knew of the town was the Powder Magazine Explosion. Before I could mention the shoe foot thing, he mentioned that his brother had found the shoe. I guess the story to be close to true.

Tim Clarke
11-19-2016, 12:42 AM
Tim,
Why Plentywood? I've been there. My great grandparents homesteaded there (well, near Dooley) back around 1905 - 1910.
Stayed in Plentywood, but the reunion was across the border in Gladmar, Canada where my great aunt married and farmed.
Not much out there, not even Dooley anymore...explains why my granddad came to Michigan.

I guess because I've enjoyed the time I've spent there for the last 15 years. It's a long haul from the west coast. It's also a different place in the world, for me. The countryside is vastly different than western Oregon. So are the people, I admire their honesty and hard work. Self sufficient would be a fair term, I think. Not many fences, except to keep livestock in. If you take the time to meet the farmers, and you are polite and respectful, it's not hard to get permission to hunt. They remember us, we'll send some smoked salmon or filberts about thanksgiving time.

This is not to say there aren't lots of people like this everywhere. Some right here where I live. But, the rich guys have leased up all the good Pheasant areas in the whole damn state, as far as I can tell. Can't blame the farmers, they're trying to make a living in a tough business. SIGH.

Tim Clarke
11-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Tim,

I guess because I've enjoyed the time I've spent there for the last 15 years. It's a long haul from the west coast. It's also a different place in the world, for me. The countryside is vastly different than western Oregon. So are the people, I admire their honesty and hard work. Self sufficient would be a fair term, I think. Not many fences, except to keep livestock in. If you take the time to meet the farmers, and you are polite and respectful, it's not hard to get permission to hunt. They remember us, we'll send some smoked salmon or filberts about thanksgiving time.

This is not to say there aren't lots of people like this everywhere. Some right here where I live. But, the rich guys have leased up all the good Pheasant areas in the whole damn state, as far as I can tell. Can't blame the farmers, they're trying to make a living in a tough business. SIGH.

fixerdave
11-19-2016, 02:43 AM
favourite sound: an engine, IC, WFO and up on the pipe, under load and giving everything its got in a sustained run. Any decent running IC engine actually... doesn't need to be a racer. I respect electric but it just does nothing for me, emotionally that is.

favourite feeling: Any vehicle, landing after coming off a rise, especially in a corner, when the suspension goes from unloaded to loaded, all the weight is in exactly the right place, and there's maximum traction to convert that down feeling into forward. Doesn't have to be airborne, better if not actually, just getting that light to heavy transition perfectly timed with the power delivery. Hard to describe... no idea why I like it so much.

Books... whatever, music... anything manically fast, movies... none that I remember (though the first few minutes of the first Road Warrior come to mind), actors... who? Food? I'm fine with a Wendy's hamburger... it's just fuel. Website... well I do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time here. Not sure if it's a favourite or just an addiction though :p

David...

ulav8r
11-19-2016, 04:50 AM
favorite movie: tie between Oscar and O Brother, Where Art Thou