PDA

View Full Version : It's a cold and miserable day--o.t.---

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Winter has finally come to beautiful Barrie, or at least the first outriders of it. Cold blowing snow, and my arthritis kicking up royal Hell. Watched a bit of morning TV with good wife, and had to light the gas fireplace to drive the chill out of the room. After an unseemingly long drought, I've finally got a bit of "for pay" design work coming in. Don't really need the money, but really do need some creative stuff to do to keep the old brain ticking over smartly!! People are building my flathead engine which was published this month in "The home shop Machinist"--I know because I'm getting questions about it by email, and requests from folks who want all the drawings "right now" and don't want to wait for future issues of the magazine to get all the plans. I've finished my most recent fun project, the 90 degree right angle drive, and it was a quick, fun to build project that does absolutely nothing useful, but is fun to watch working. I have to take a moment here and say something about the lingering death of one of my other favourite forums, the "Home Model Engine Machinist". It is still up and running, but since it was sold to a "for profit" organization a couple of years ago, 99% of the good model engine builders have left it. I find that a very sad thing, because when the original owner who was a model engine builder himself started and ran the forum, it was a gold mine of information and truly creative builds, and intelligent people. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a model engine forum in North America to replace it. Many of the senior model makers have went to a U.K. site, but it isn't quite the same. Folks on the U.K. site are good people, but the forum is just different enough because of cultural background to not feel totally comfortable. Enough of my ramblings---Hope you guys are all well and have yer long johns ready for the next 4 months.---Brian

Cuttings
11-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Good morning Brian. We are in between rain storms out here this morning, so not a bad day. Just sitting here thinking what I might do today. The car really needs washing and I might tinker around in my workshop for a while this morning. I thought I might watch the CFL western final on TV this afternoon. Watched the semi-final last weekend where the Lions pulled off an exciting win in the last minutes. I am not really a football fan, but sometimes watch when the local team is in the finals. Have a good day and stay close to the fire.

duckman
11-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Brian I've used a product that has menthol in it , it comes in a stick form like deodorant, I've used it on my knuckles (arthritis), sore shoulder where I had a rotator cuff repair don't know why it works but it does, the brand name is Assured Menthol rub.

camdigger
11-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Old man winter has made inroads in the west too. We had our first go with 2" of wet snow in mid October. We had some warm days last couple weeks. Just enough for the neighbours to get the last of the crop and hay off. There's lots of wet grain in bins all over the prairies. Back to seasonal norms for temps last several days with light snow flurries. There is just the starting of frost in the ground again for the second time this fall.

Heater still works in the shop, and the lights are still on, so I'm going to hibernate out there some.

mklotz
11-20-2016, 11:44 AM
A model engine forum is fine but what North America really needs is a model *engineering* site. A few moments spent at the Craftsmanship Museum site...

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

will prove that their are plenty of master miniaturists and craftsmen out there who are producing works of mechanical art that are not engines. A model engineering site would include them and invite their ilk into a larger community where all sorts of cross fertilization could take place.

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Marv--You're right, of course. There is a great deal of very interesting model engineering "art" that is not engines. I have been heavily castigated on the U.K. site for posting some of my whimsical things that are not engines.

Tundra Twin Track
11-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Yes winter here as well still a lot of crop out that will have to wait till spring,been a very challenging harvest this year.Some areas received 10" rain in one day at the start of harvest.

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 12:05 PM
I seldom get really bad arthritis in any particular part of my body. Mine manifests more as general "body ache", which means that your sore as Hell all over. Pretty hard to rub mentholatum on that!! I have been taking prescription Celebrex for years now, and it is quite effective, but sometimes on days like this, the pain gets ahead of anything the Celebrex can do. I set here and whine about the cold weather coming, but I really do feel for you guys out in Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. Most Ontario folks never think much about it, but you folks are SO far north of us. In fact, the southernmost part of Ontario, down around Point Pelee is at the same latitude as northern California. I've spent a winter on the prairies, and I'll take our Ontario winters anytime over that. Here we just freeze. Out there, you can freeze and get your ass blown off simultaneously.

enginuity
11-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Hey Brian,

Our snowman says hello. It's good to be back.

https://thecogwheel.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/snowman1.jpg

kendall
11-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Yeah, we got our first snow of the year yesterday. Not heavy, enough to make things white and slippery.
Worse thing was that I had just gotten so I could walk without a cane after a knee replacement, so of course while heading out to clear the steps, was to slip and land on it. I would have much rather landed flat on my nose.

Jim Williams
11-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Many years ago I went to Edmondton during the Winter, and got a taste of what cold is. We recently moved from South Carolina, near Charlotte NC, to central Florida. We stayed the past five Winters here to be able to escape the cold weather, and decided to move full time. Cold down here is generally in the low 40's F, but a hard freeze occurs occasionally. The Summer was hot, but not having to put up with snow and ice is wonderful. My shop is still totally disorganized after six months, but I will eventually get things sorted.

Jim Williams

John Stevenson
11-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Marv--You're right, of course. There is a great deal of very interesting model engineering "art" that is not engines. I have been heavily castigated on the U.K. site for posting some of my whimsical things that are not engines.

Brian,
Been following your posts over on MEM and I didn't see any reply's that were in anyway castigated.

All I saw were posts of praise.
I feel you are not being fair to MEM which because of the better way it is run is a far superior site the new HMEM.

Tundra Twin Track
11-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Many years ago I went to Edmondton during the Winter, and got a taste of what cold is.

Jim Williams

When I worked oil patch in 1980 it was -63 F about 5 hrs north of Edmonton all but one of the propane heaters on the tanks & lines failed.The cook shack was pretty crowded but did not go hungry!

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 03:40 PM
John Stevenson--When I first began posting on MEM, Jo was on my ass like a diaper, saying that my marble automation machine wasn't suitable for their forum. Then some old guy from Africa got in on the act and tore me a new---Well anyways, if a bunch of people who liked my stuff hadn't jumped in and said they would leave the forum if I wasn't allowed to post my stuff there, they would have thrown me off the forum. I think castigated was exactly the right word to use.

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 03:44 PM
I've got 13 turkeys scratching around in the snow and oak leaves under my backyard bird feeder. Dang, they are big birds!!! There is a flock of about 22 that live in the woods just behind my house. One of these thanksgivings I'm going to set a snare---

J Tiers
11-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Am in N Ohio for a bit.

Obnoxious weather, just at freezing, but also wet, with heavy wind. Better if it was zero F..... not cold enough, not warm enough.

Must be what you had left over up there.

sasquatch
11-20-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm about 150 miles north of Brian, we have snow on the ground finally as of last night and a cold biting wind. Many northern hiways where closed overnight due to conditions, and jacknifed tractor trailers on hills.
A great day to stay inside tinkering and drinkin coffee while sorting out hardware finds from garage sales.

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm about 150 miles north of Brian, we have snow on the ground finally as of last night and a cold biting wind. Many northern hiways where closed overnight due to conditions, and jacknifed tractor trailers on hills.
A great day to stay inside tinkering and drinkin coffee while sorting out hardware finds from garage sales.
And that 150 miles makes a really big difference. Our spring comes about 10 to 14 days earlier than where Sasquatch lives, and our fall comes about 10 to 14 days later. He gets almost a month more cold weather than I do.

Paul Alciatore
11-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Well, here in sunny south Texas we had a real bad thunder storm a couple of nights ago which knocked out our power for about five hours and brought in the first actual chilly weather of the season. But I am still getting away with running around in a short sleeve shirt.

Been going back and forth with the thermostats between heat and AC. I guess I better dust off my jackets.

As for money coming in, I could use a bit of that. I hope to see a bit starting in December. I need to get back to the shop and the keyboard.

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Paul---You can never be too good looking or have too much money----

Weston Bye
11-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Day before yesterday it was nearly 70 degrees here.
Yesterday... 32 degrees. Was also a grandchildren day. In the morning we went to watch 8 year old grandson's hockey game - in a cold local arena. then early afternoon to a local bowling alley for 10 year old granddaughter's tournament. From there it was to the Detroit Zoo for other 10 year old granddaughter's (twin of previously mentioned granddaughter) figure skating performance and outdoor light show cold outside, 32 degrees again - but no snow - it held off and stopped short about 25 miles to the west in Ann Arbor - some of you may have saw the news reports of the U of Michigan football team making snow angels on the field.

Except for the bowling alley and driving between the events, I was on my feet in the cold - my arthritic hips and back hardly worked this morning so I stayed in my shop all day - mostly at the computer, but moving around off and on doing cleaning as much as I could.

Arcane
11-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Paul---You can never be too good looking or have too much money----

Ha! That reminds me of something attributed to Karen Carpenter..."You can never be too rich or too thin."

DFMiller
11-20-2016, 07:23 PM
When I hopped off the Airplane on Sarnia I was greeted by a cold wind and a few snowflakes. A dramatic change from getting on the plane in Vancouver in the morning in the pouring down rain. I think I like the cooler weather in Southern Ontario. 0C is not cold enough to wear a jacket unles out for long time. My socks don't get wet in my Crocs and I don't have to wear a ball cap to keep the rain off my glasses. What I hate is the 2" of Slush that Sarnia gets in January. But I am prepared I have my jacket and some non ventilated shoes. :-)
Dave

darryl
11-20-2016, 08:19 PM
I used to be in the repair end of consumer electronics. We repaired a lot of tube type tvs back then. They didn't like the change in weather- there were a few times each year when lots of them would break down, then it would settle down again.

The old tvs in general didn't like the humidity, or the temperature changes. I didn't like it either, since it meant that I'd be carrying those heavy cumbersome things in the cold and damp. Cold and dry I didn't mind.

sid pileski
11-20-2016, 08:43 PM
Brian- the biggest problem I have with HMEM is the speed that it loads and the adds.
Also, I lost my log in info, and tried repeatedly to contact someone to help ( I think I even asked you to help) but no luck. I think it is not well monitored.

Sid

brian Rupnow
11-20-2016, 08:58 PM
I don't mean to bash any of the forums. I don't like the fact that some have changed from what they once were, and some aren't quite what I had hoped for. However, the fact that there are forums at all has opened up a whole new world for me. If it weren't for all of the forums, I would be very isolated in my hobby. I live in a city of 140,000 people and non that I know of have the same interest that I do in mechanical whatsits. I spend a lot of time in my shop carving out mechanical whimsys, but I am sure I spend even more time on the forums asking questions, answering questions, bragging, or just plain old b's'ting.

plunger
11-21-2016, 12:08 AM
I don't mean to bash any of the forums. I don't like the fact that some have changed from what they once were, and some aren't quite what I had hoped for. However, the fact that there are forums at all has opened up a whole new world for me. If it weren't for all of the forums, I would be very isolated in my hobby. I live in a city of 140,000 people and non that I know of have the same interest that I do in mechanical whatsits. I spend a lot of time in my shop carving out mechanical whimsys, but I am sure I spend even more time on the forums asking questions, answering questions, bragging, or just plain old b's'ting.

Brian I am just curios and its largely due to my ignorance. When I watch programs on tv about Canada and Alaska it looks like you have to be a bear in winter and hibernate. Or is it not that bad. When it gets below 15 degrees here I notice my body seems to shut off and I dont want to do anything.Mind you when it gets above 30 degrees the same thing happens. The humidity is the killer though.
I am also curious if you have fun making your amazing drawings or is it different for you as that is your main source of income.Do you get pleasure from both, making the drawing or making the end product.
I notice at the local model engineering society which is mainly model trains ,the guys that make them ,alot of them lose interest immediately after making the train. They seem to have no interest driving them. As soon as its built they move on to a new one.I also notice the vast majority of the members buy a model and enjoy driving them and a very few minority actually build them.

J Tiers
11-21-2016, 12:36 AM
As I grew up where winter temperature approached -40C a few times, and was commonly -30F, I can say that we enjoyed being outside in winter. Skiing, or as children, sledding, playing hockey, etc.

I had some years when the (short) summer was boring, winter was when you could do the fun stuff (and meet girls when skiing).

It is all how and where you grow up, I suspect. I still prefer 0F to the stuff it does where I now live, being just above 0C, and raining..... I think that is colder than 0F.

Puckdropper
11-21-2016, 04:19 AM
I notice at the local model engineering society which is mainly model trains ,the guys that make them ,alot of them lose interest immediately after making the train. They seem to have no interest driving them. As soon as its built they move on to a new one.I also notice the vast majority of the members buy a model and enjoy driving them and a very few minority actually build them.

We've noticed that too. Our local HO club is composed of a few dedicated builders and a lot of runners. The builders seldom run trains and the runners seldom build things. We've formed a symbiotic circle, as the builders build places for runners to run and runners give us focus (and resources) to build.

Puckdropper
11-21-2016, 04:35 AM
As I grew up where winter temperature approached -40C a few times, and was commonly -30F, I can say that we enjoyed being outside in winter. Skiing, or as children, sledding, playing hockey, etc.

I had some years when the (short) summer was boring, winter was when you could do the fun stuff (and meet girls when skiing).

It is all how and where you grow up, I suspect. I still prefer 0F to the stuff it does where I now live, being just above 0C, and raining..... I think that is colder than 0F.

Yeah, now it seems like no one does anything in winter. I've got a 4 wheeler and tractor to play with snow removal (I usually hear grumble grumble snow removal, but it's FUN with the right tools!), ice to skate on and if we get the right snow parking lot snowball fights are a thing! Go find yourself a sled and sideswipe a tree! So what if it's cold? The human body can adapt, it's amazingly good at that.

We once put together 3 snowmen, well actually 2 snowmen and a snowwoman. One of them was the minister and the other two were getting married.

I also prefer 0F to 0C, 0F means you just put a sweater on under your coat. 0C and raining means the weather is just too annoying to stay outside.

plunger
11-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Yeah, now it seems like no one does anything in winter. I've got a 4 wheeler and tractor to play with snow removal (I usually hear grumble grumble snow removal, but it's FUN with the right tools!), ice to skate on and if we get the right snow parking lot snowball fights are a thing! Go find yourself a sled and sideswipe a tree! So what if it's cold? The human body can adapt, it's amazingly good at that.

We once put together 3 snowmen, well actually 2 snowmen and a snowwoman. One of them was the minister and the other two were getting married.

I also prefer 0F to 0C, 0F means you just put a sweater on under your coat. 0C and raining means the weather is just too annoying to stay outside.

Could you explain the oc to oF thing for people who have never seen snow

J Tiers
11-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Well at 0C, it is still wet, but cold enough to make being wet miserable. Snow melts easily, and there is mixed snow and water (slush). Can't ski, ẞkating īs sloppy if possible at all.

At 0F it is cold but not wet, the sun does not melt snow, which it does above about 15F. Snow sports are OK, from 0F to 15F is the good range. Not stupid cold, but nice dry cold.

Below 0F it starts to be pretty cold if there is a wind. The snow squeaks as you walk on it and the wind starts to really go through clothes. At -40 it gets very quiet, and if there is a wind, its WAY too cold to do anything unless you have to, like pulling in firewood. Cold as heck even with no wind.

brian Rupnow
11-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Brian I am just curios and its largely due to my ignorance. When I watch programs on tv about Canada and Alaska it looks like you have to be a bear in winter and hibernate. Or is it not that bad. When it gets below 15 degrees here I notice my body seems to shut off and I dont want to do anything.Mind you when it gets above 30 degrees the same thing happens. The humidity is the killer though.
I am also curious if you have fun making your amazing drawings or is it different for you as that is your main source of income.Do you get pleasure from both, making the drawing or making the end product.
-----Plunger, It is very difficult to explain the concept of "winter" to someone who has never lived where they have "winter" as we do. Our summertime temperatures here range from about 15 degrees Celsius at night up to a comfortable 27 degrees Celsius during the middle of the day. That'd be about 60F to 85F. That covers May, June, July, august and early September. In October, which is our fall, the temperatures get a bit cooler each night and each day, until by the end of November we are getting to below 0 Celsius at night (about 30 degrees F) up to +1 to +10 during the day. We all live in well insulated houses with central heating, and the furnaces get turned on for the winter about the second week in October. After December, we go into the deep freeze, with temperatures at night frequently going down to -25 C and daytime temperatures -10 Celsius. The heaviest snowfalls start in mid December and it generally snows 2 or 3 days a week. Sometimes we get blizzards that last 4 or 5 days with heavy snow driven by heavy winds. We all have heavily insulated "snow boots" which are only worn outside. if we are going to be outside much we were "long underwear" which consists of a complete long sleeved shirt and long legged under-pants of a warm material like wool, with outer outer garments worn over that. Coats, hats, and gloves or mittens are an absolute must if you are going outside. The municipal govenments supply snowplows, which are very big trucks with plows on the front to keep the highways clear of snow. We have engine driven snowblowers to keep our driveways cleared of snow, or pay a contractor with smaller snow-plow trucks to clean them for us. we shovel our steps and walkways clear of snow two or three days a week. Children and young adults love the snow, as it provides the opportunity for sleigh riding down hills, skiing, and since the lakes are all frozen over with a meter of ice, drilling a hole through the ice and "ice fishing" through the hole are popular. The older you get, the less you enjoy winter. Many of us only go outside the house to get to our heated cars, drive to work, and then outside again briefly to your heated office or workplace. Remember, we are Canadians, and this kind of weather seems very normal to us. About the end of March the temperatures gradually begin to warm up a bit each day, and by the end of April the temperatures have almost returned to summer temperatures. I love to make the drawings and designs for all the machines I make. I have drawn and designed machines professionally for over 50 years, and loved every minute of it. I love building the machines, and getting them to run. At that point, the things I build go up on a shelf and I am ready to start thinking about another project. All of my life I have designed and built full size hotrod cars which are basically antique vintage bodies with huge V8 engines in them. Once they were completed I would drive them on a daily basis for transportation, and enter them in drag races, so they got much more use after they were built than my model engines.---Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/002_zpspybvlmlc.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/BrianRupnow/media/002_zpspybvlmlc.jpg.html)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/003_zpsyuu6varv.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/BrianRupnow/media/003_zpsyuu6varv.jpg.html)

Tundra Twin Track
11-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Winter not all bad there is things to do and some nice scenery to enjoy.http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag292/tundratwintrack/image.jpg40_zpstgav5y2s.jpg (http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/tundratwintrack/media/image.jpg40_zpstgav5y2s.jpg.html)