PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy from Ali-Express?

flylo
11-23-2016, 05:58 PM
They had 3 axis chinese DROs for $258/shipped on sale. They take paypal so I feel better about that but have never dealt with them.

fixerdave
11-23-2016, 06:13 PM
I've bought a few things... hit and miss but never been burned.

Not my favourite, but if they had a significantly better (or only) price then I'd order again.

The thing to remember is that you aren't buying from Ali-Express any more than you are buying from Ebay. They are just offering a service that connects sellers to buyers... and probably a bit more tilted to the seller than Ebay is.

That said, I did order one "too good to be true" item that did turn out fraudulent and I did get a full refund. I didn't even have to complain as they spotted it themselves, froze the transaction, and then eventually refunded without any input from me.

Any link to the DRO?

David...

flylo
11-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Here you go https://shoppingcart.aliexpress.com/shopcart/shopcartDetail.htm?spm=2114.10010108.1000002.2.f1U DUo

The scales sizes are below & were hard for me to find at first. Thanks!

_Paul_
11-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Looks cheap enough flylo but can you post a better link please as I get "Your Shopping Cart is empty Start shopping now! (https://www.aliexpress.com/?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.1.IITQxc) "

Paul

flylo
11-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Try this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-complete-set-milling-lathe-drill-machine-dro-digital-readout-with-3-pcs-linear-scales/1524501216.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.263.K6d Qxa

10KPete
11-23-2016, 11:11 PM
I just spent the most frustrating hour trying to get some information from AliExpress about a simple, small order. On 11-11-16 I order about $15 worth of prisims. That day received an email confirming payment accepted and giving an order number. On 11-17-16 I received and email confirming shipment of that order. This afternoon, out of curiosity, I went to my Ali account and looked in my orders page. Nothing. Zero. So, I copied the order number from the email and pasted it into the box to search for the order. "Not Found". Clicked on the number in the email and was taken to a page saying "Oops, not authorized to view....".

Spent a while figuring out how to connect to their chat help. Effing useless. Can only type 150 characters at a time and the session times out and disconnects after 2 minutes. Bullfeathers!! Got nowhere. The person at the other end was very patient but who can type that fast and explain what's needed???? Crap.

Maybe I'll try tomorrow. Maybe I can call 'em or something...

Pissed Pete

mattthemuppet
11-23-2016, 11:20 PM
bought a few bits'n'pieces - some bearings for my bikes which feel great and a couple of CCMT tool holders which I couldn't find anywhere else for anything close to the price. Inserts seat fine. Shipping on both was between 3 and 4 weeks, so a bit longer than some Chinese sellers but not outside what I expect.

I'd buy again. It's nice to have another option in addition to eBay.

_Paul_
11-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Thanks flylo, looks impressive the head seems quite fully featured and for £210 inc shipping it's very tempting, just the one scale on my BR2J was £300.
Be nice to to hear from someone who has installed one.

Paul

_Paul_
11-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Banggood also sell what appears to be the same set only more expensive DRO & Scales (http://www.banggood.com/Complete-Set-DRO-Digital-Readout-Milling-Lathe-Drill-Machine-with-3Pcs-Linear-Scales-p-1102526.html?rmmds=search), I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them and had no problems at all.

Paul

Willy
11-23-2016, 11:32 PM
I've dealt with Aliexpress for probably about 5 years and have had no issues, although a little more involved than Ebay. The odd time I did have an issue with an item not showing up or not as described it has always been rectified to my satisfaction, although like I said, not as seamless as Ebay. Same game just a different procedure.

When buying something I know is coming from China I always check pricing for the same item between Ali and Ebay and there can be a significant difference between the two. No clear cut winner on either side, check both before ordering. Between the two they are always better than Banggood or DX, I gave up on those two long ago due to various issues. Maybe things have changed there but I haven't been back.

Mister ED
11-23-2016, 11:34 PM
I've never used Ali Express. But that looks pretty similar to the DRO that I bought off from Ebay 5 or more years ago. Scales look exactly the same, even the label (without running out and looking at my label). I ordered a new scale from an outfit in CA (after changing mills) and even that one was the same. The readout has the same functions that I have, colors are a tad different, mine is labeled M-Tech (I believe). It has been good to me and never an issue.

There is also another one (same company) listed for a few $ cheaper:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-accuracy-3-axis-drill-lathe-milling-machine-digital-readout-DRO-and-3-pieces-linear-scales/1708239801.html?spm=2114.10010108.100009.5.XmQjW9&scm=1007.13482.37805.0&pvid=27aa8a2f-f6ee-42a8-b73a-87a395635de7&tpp=1

Looks like mostly good reviews over there.

macona
11-24-2016, 12:24 AM
Ordered a wig for a cosplay shoot last week and it showed up monday. Turns out they have stock in the US.

fixerdave
11-24-2016, 01:36 AM
...This afternoon, out of curiosity, I went to my Ali account and looked in my orders page. Nothing. Zero. ...

I seem to recall that was the first stage in my "too good to be true" order. Everything just disappeared for a while, then came back as 'frozen'. Presumably, enough other people complained and everything to do with that seller just got shutdown until they sorted it out.

It was a while ago though. It also took quite a while to resolve, though no effort on my part required. If you did the PayPal thing, then there's no reason to sweat for a while. The only really annoying thing is if you need it and don't know if you have to put a new order in somewhere else or not.

David...

elf
11-24-2016, 02:21 AM
They say the resolution is 1um, I wonder what the repeatability and accuracy is.

Daniel92563
11-24-2016, 02:28 AM
i've ordered a few dros from ali express- 2 axis for a small g0704 mill, 3 axis for my bridgeport, and a two axis for my lathe. all arrived in less than a week from china to California. They work great, I have no regrets. The manual is useless, that's the only negative i think.

Ed ke6bnl
11-24-2016, 08:55 AM
I ordered a similar DRO from ali and the deal was great at the time it was $280 3 axis works great. BUT I did order a altimeter and never received it and they never follow up on it ignored me. good thing it was not much but it did make me a little hesitant to order more from them.

j king
11-24-2016, 06:39 PM
I just got a 3 axis off Ali. Around the same price the op had. I was very pleased with the unit.the mounts sucked and I had to fab stuff but it was a good deal if it lasts a while

RB211
11-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Ordered my dro from Ali Express, very happy. Theres a US retailer selling same product that is cheaper on the scales because of shipping costs. Dro head was cheaper via Ali.

randyjaco
11-25-2016, 08:25 AM
I have bought a number of items from AliExpress. My experience has been good.

Randy

true temper
11-25-2016, 01:44 PM
i've ordered a few dros from ali express- 2 axis for a small g0704 mill, 3 axis for my bridgeport, and a two axis for my lathe. all arrived in less than a week from china to California. They work great, I have no regrets. The manual is useless, that's the only negative i think.
The manual is the important part for me. I have no idea how o use a DRO. I need some VERY basic info on how to use one.

Dave C
01-07-2017, 03:11 AM
I know this thread is kinda long in the tooth, but since I bought a DRO for my lathe from Ali, I thought I would chime in with my $.02. Ordered it on 12/14, got it on 12/27. Looks as good as some I've seen on ebay for much more $$. As others have said, the operators manual is useless, and there are no installation instructions. The mounting brackets that screw to the display and attach to the swing arm have holes for the pivot bolt that do not line up, and are too small for the bolt. There is a cast aluminum bracket included that looks like it's intended to mount the swing arm to a vertical surface. There are two aluminum angles that may work to hang the z axis read head from the saddle. Everything else has to be engineered and built to suit. Not a big deal considering the price paid. My biggest complaint is the lack of communication with Ali or the mfg. I submitted questions prior to purchase that were answered the next day, but once the item was received, it took two weeks of repeated requests to get the clearance dimension between the scales and read head. They finally sent an email today with installation instructions for a similar unit saying the installation is the same.

Alistair Hosie
01-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Notice the price rise when you buy from the uk as opposed to usa $250+ to£280+ wow another british rip off well they can f off Alistair

John Stevenson
01-07-2017, 10:40 AM
How do you work this out Alistair ?

If you use the link above.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-accuracy-3-axis-drill-lathe-milling-machine-digital-readout-DRO-and-3-pieces-linear-scales/1708239801.html?spm=2114.10010108.100009.5.XmQjW9&scm=1007.13482.37805.0&pvid=27aa8a2f-f6ee-42a8-b73a-87a395635de7&tpp=1

It comes up inc shipping as £197

Axkiker
01-07-2017, 11:55 AM
I know this thread is kinda long in the tooth, but since I bought a DRO for my lathe from Ali, I thought I would chime in with my $.02. Ordered it on 12/14, got it on 12/27. Looks as good as some I've seen on ebay for much more $$. As others have said, the operators manual is useless, and there are no installation instructions. The mounting brackets that screw to the display and attach to the swing arm have holes for the pivot bolt that do not line up, and are too small for the bolt. There is a cast aluminum bracket included that looks like it's intended to mount the swing arm to a vertical surface. There are two aluminum angles that may work to hang the z axis read head from the saddle. Everything else has to be engineered and built to suit. Not a big deal considering the price paid. My biggest complaint is the lack of communication with Ali or the mfg. I submitted questions prior to purchase that were answered the next day, but once the item was received, it took two weeks of repeated requests to get the clearance dimension between the scales and read head. They finally sent an email today with installation instructions for a similar unit saying the installation is the same.

Now that you have done all the legwork and have the questions answered I may buy one. LOL Thats a heck of a price if it provides descent results.

Since others may be interested in purchasing this unit it might be worth a permanent thread or file containing all the questions you had and the final outcome. Maybe make up an improvised instruction manual guy could actually use.

Dave C
01-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Now that you have done all the legwork and have the questions answered I may buy one. LOL Thats a heck of a price if it provides descent results.

Since others may be interested in purchasing this unit it might be worth a permanent thread or file containing all the questions you had and the final outcome. Maybe make up an improvised instruction manual guy could actually use.

I gave some thought to doing that, and even mentioned it on another thread (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/72398-What-did-you-do-in-the-shop-today?p=1089745#post1089745) but decided against it for a couple of reasons. One being that Lathe makes and models come in various shapes and sizes, requiring location of components and designing bracketry to suit each one. Another is that there is no shortage of videos on youtube presenting a general idea of how a DRO should be attached to the machine. That said, I will be happy to point out some stumbling blocks that I have run into along the way. For now, the install is on hold and will not restart until the outside temperature, and that inside my garage shop becomes more favorable. Today, the "Sunny South" is covered in a layer of ice, with a projected high of 21 degrees.

lwalker
01-07-2017, 02:16 PM
As others have said, the operators manual is useless, and there are no installation instructions

I'm actually using this to my advantage. My little business sells a lot of serial RS232 interface equipment and I get requests from time to time for a simple relay board. I started carrying this one (http://www.cedarlakeinstruments.com/blog/products/rs232-serial-controlled-dual-relay) which is a product I buy on Alibaba but add Real English instructions and sample software and resell.

It fixes one of the biggest problems I've found with Alibaba/AliExpress: the documentation is very hard to understand. I have samples of a couple other electronic items that I plan to do the same thing with: improve the documentation quality and resell.

Axkiker
01-07-2017, 03:26 PM
I gave some thought to doing that, and even mentioned it on another thread (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/72398-What-did-you-do-in-the-shop-today?p=1089745#post1089745) but decided against it for a couple of reasons. One being that Lathe makes and models come in various shapes and sizes, requiring location of components and designing bracketry to suit each one. Another is that there is no shortage of videos on youtube presenting a general idea of how a DRO should be attached to the machine. That said, I will be happy to point out some stumbling blocks that I have run into along the way. For now, the install is on hold and will not restart until the outside temperature, and that inside my garage shop becomes more favorable. Today, the "Sunny South" is covered in a layer of ice, with a projected high of 21 degrees.

I feel your pain... good ole KY was 9 degrees this morning.

MattiJ
01-07-2017, 03:54 PM

Is that summer?:rolleyes:
Last couple of days have been around -15 on the horse rectum temperature scale(fahrenheits)

dave_r
01-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Well then, don't leave the KY in the fridge... :p

Dave C
01-07-2017, 07:22 PM

It made it up to 30 today, but going back down to 12 during the night with wind chill in single digits. The weird thing is they are forecasting mid 70's by next Wednesday.

aboard_epsilon
01-08-2017, 09:26 AM
well up to now , I did not know that the KY initials for that product, did actually stand for Kentucky ...so will be calling it Kentucky jelly from now on :}