11-25-2016, 05:23 PM
More pictures in the CL add.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/atq/5844817599.html

https://images.craigslist.org/01515_97gLaUTLVEx_600x450.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00r0r_38YixzXTzJB_600x450.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00x0x_3fDokT2V3ud_600x450.jpg

Andre3127
11-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Oops, sorry. I forgot to put OT in the title....

Toolguy
11-25-2016, 06:15 PM
It says Buffalo in the ad. I'm calling Bull on this one!:D

brian Rupnow
11-25-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm not a fan of "steampunk", and yet---it does give me a certain tingle. Same as "rat-rods". I have no idea why anyone would build a hotrod and not have it all shiny and beautiful---but still, they get my attention when I see one, and like "steampunk" they give me a tingle. I was actually into a shop in small town Ontario this summer that advertised itself as being "steam-punk oriented". Had a few pieces of really weird stuff that the owner, an "artist" had cobbled together from random parts. I wouldn't have paid money for any of what he had, but it was fun and disturbingly interesting to see.---Brian

BCRider
11-25-2016, 08:30 PM
As a tool nut I gotta say that this has a LOT of chutzpa integrated into the design. It's darn near "tool art" in fact.

It was clearly a wood lathe. But it's missing the tool rest. I drool at the thought of what creativity was involved in that portion. And what a loss it was that it's not with the rest of this rather "Tool Nuveaux" piece.

Just don't let Tom Lipton and the other You Tube shop guys find out that a Wilton vise was deflowered in the making of this wood lathe.... They would go positively BALLISTIC ! ! ! ! At least it looks like a Wilton to me.

The big question about the builder is one of how much class he had in choosing his parts. Namely are we talking Campagnolo artistry or Shimano praticality in choosing the head stock hub. Perspiring minds need to know! ! ! ! !

KEEP THESE PICTURES! The link says that the item has been deleted by the author.

Mcgyver
11-25-2016, 11:19 PM
the main issue I have with steampunk is the name, I think i'd feel embarrassed to say I was a steampunk lol. No you're just dick head.

Is it supposed to be art? Could be, Manzoni took a crap in a can and sold to the Tate for what 50,000 and Dechamp celebrated a urinal as a joke that is now worth a fotune....also at the Tate irrc. I'm trying to get them interested my work; "pattern of chips on worn concrete floor #41"

RB211
11-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Steampunk would be cool if it was 100% functional and not purely an artists statement.

Doc Nickel
11-26-2016, 02:41 AM
Okay, what we have is somebody's antique home-made wood lathe. The "spindle" is a bicycle wheel hub, bolted down with two U-shaped muffler clamps. The tool rest was removed- the top part, anyway- and an old vise was bolted in it's place, almost certainly purely because that's what the "artist" had laying around. And at the other end, we have a ghastly ugly lamp cobbled together out of an old table lamp base, what appear to be either some shower head arms, or possibly utility lighting fixtures, and capped with some industrial light socket.

The lathe base is at least old enough the maker used square head bolts and nuts, which of course isn't definitive, but does suggest it may be upwards of 50-70 years old, possibly more. (Although the V-belt pulley suggests a bit newer than that.)

Save for the vise, which would probably fetch a C-note or so from some of the Garage Journal guys if only because it has an unusual mounting flange (it bolts to the face of the bench, not the top) the rest of it is utterly worthless junk. It's not even aesthetically pleasing as art. It'd be an eyesore while sitting on a pile of twisted scrap metal. :)

The ad's gone, what were they asking for that monstrosity?

Doc.

BCRider
11-26-2016, 04:02 AM
The vise is actually the tail stock. See the pin added to the vise's ram?

Doc Nickel
11-26-2016, 04:11 AM

-Oh good god, you might actually be right. I did not notice that. :)

That's actually kind of clever, then, on the part of the original builder, since that did, in fact, give him a screw-adjustable tailstock.

Well then, I was probably wrong about the vise being a modern addition, but the rest still stands. Apart from that vise, the rest is still junk. :D

Doc.

kitno455
11-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Yeah, you guys need to back up for a second. The tailstock cannot move to the end of the bed because the slot is too short. That means the lamp mounting point was unused. I'm betting the lamp is original, repurposed cast-offs. This is not art, its ingenuity. Which interestingly, makes it art to most of us :)

allan

RichR
11-26-2016, 09:44 AM
It'd be an eyesore while sitting on a pile of twisted scrap metal. :)

Sitting on a pile of twisted scrap metal would make it an ass-sore.:D

Mcgyver
11-26-2016, 09:55 AM

right. I'd toss it rather than embarrass myself on craigslist (actually i'd keep the vise) but I'll not criticize it as a effort at making something. Perhaps it worked and likely he had limited tools. From kid when I started making things to present, not everything I ever made was a study in perfection. Did the best he could with what he had

Noitoen
11-26-2016, 10:06 AM
right. I'd toss it rather than embarrass myself on craigslist (actually i'd keep the vise) but I'll not criticize it as a effort at making something. Perhaps it worked and likely he had limited tools. From kid when I started making things to present, not everything I ever made was a study in perfection. Did the best he could with what he had

The builder could have mounted it on an old pedal sewing machine stand and make some stuff with it.

I once needed to manual wind some high count turn coils and one of the features of the contraption I made was a twisted wire that presses a calculator's "=" button to add the "+1" constant to keep track turns. It wasn't pretty but did the job.

wdtom44
11-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Got to give somebody some credit. It is a working wood lathe. Maybe the tool rest bolted to the vise mount when the vise was off. The headstock spindle is a bicycle hub incase somebody didn't spot it.

flylo
11-26-2016, 12:26 PM
The ad's gone, what did he want for it? He probably picked up the parts at a scrap yard which beat's melting them down IMHO.

BCRider
11-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Wow.... tough crowd....I guess the kitchey lamp doesn't help :)

Truth be told I've seen rougher looking contraptions when it comes to improvised wood lathes over the years. With the missing tool rest and a motor it would do fine for making smaller things like file handles or other round wood doodads.

The other thing missing is some sort of drive spur. I suspect the builder ground up an axle nut to have the spurs and used a second nut to lock it in place. The center point is ground into the axle but it's missing any sort of spurs to lock into the wood.

Andre3127
11-26-2016, 02:49 PM
The ad's gone, what did he want for it? He probably picked up the parts at a scrap yard which beat's melting them down IMHO.

He wanted $300 for it, and just to be clear I didn't share the ad to criticize him.

Someone on this board probably contacted the seller and then he removed it. It got re-posted 19 hours ago.

"Solid Oak bed. Old bicycle wheel hub used for stationary drive. Safe working work light attached. All hand made/assembled with USA antique vintage parts. Unique 1 of a kind piece. Shown with small 25 watt tube style bulb. "

http://i.imgur.com/wehsWMh.png

BCRider
11-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Andre, I know you said you didn't post this to criticize the guy..... BUT GOOD GRIEF! $300 ! ? ! ? ! ? Not in my wildest dreams! ! ! !