PDA

View Full Version : Low profile clamp for 4 Vertex RT

chucketn
11-29-2016, 01:40 PM
I want to make a couple of low profileclamps for my RT, as shown in the attached photo, to clamp my RT onmy X2 mill, in the horizontal postion. I have 6061 aluminum, or Icould make a pattern and cast it out of wheelium. I plan to put 3bolt holes in it as shown in the picture.
Will either material be strong enough?
Any other suggestions on dimentions orfeatures?
I have tried contacting the web sitewhere I got the photo, but no response.

http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/media/RT%20Accessories/RT%20clamp_zpsb9lqr3v4.jpg.html

Chuck

mars-red
11-29-2016, 02:03 PM
I want to make a couple of low profileclamps for my RT, as shown in the attached photo, to clamp my RT onmy X2 mill, in the horizontal postion. I have 6061 aluminum, or Icould make a pattern and cast it out of wheelium. I plan to put 3bolt holes in it as shown in the picture.
Will either material be strong enough?
Any other suggestions on dimentions orfeatures?
I have tried contacting the web sitewhere I got the photo, but no response.

Chuck
Maybe it's just Tapatalk acting up, but I don't see a picture. Depending on the clamp design aluminum might be okay, but why not use steel?

danlb
11-29-2016, 02:44 PM
It should work. You are not exerting extreme pressure there.

BTW, that's a huge RT for a mill that small. :) It's also the only mill that size that I've seen with a 3 axis DRO. Well done.

Dan

chucketn
11-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the comments, Dan. The DRO is a Shumatec 550 that I built from their kit. Wish now I had bought 2! Love it. The mill came with the scales already mounted. Previous owner had also build the 550, but kept it.

Chuck