PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Cut Aluminum Angles

oskar270
12-01-2016, 11:05 PM
I wonder what’s the best way to cut 1/8” thick aluminum angle of various sizes with a 10” miter saw.

Have the angle with one side against the fence and the corner pointing up? (like an inverted V)

Have the angle lay flat and one side against the fence?

Have the angle lay flat and one side facing the blade?

lakeside53
12-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Inverted Vee (constant cut force), but that is harder to clamp. Typically L against the fence (clamped) but take it easy going though the flat portion.

If you are going to cut a lot, foot operated air cylinder (as a clamp) makes clamping a non event,

winchman
12-02-2016, 12:11 AM
In an inverted V position, 1/8" angle will be distorted (squeezed to less than 90 degrees) if you clamp it tightly enough to keep it from flipping when you start the cut unless you're VERY gentle. You can be more aggressive once you're about one third through. A freshly sharpened blade works much better.

lakeside53
12-02-2016, 01:12 AM
A 45 of wood under angles can work well when clamping.

darryl
12-02-2016, 01:19 AM
At one point I had a lot of 1/16 thick angle to cut. I made a temporary wooden fence to back it up and used another piece of wood to nest into the angle and basically pinch it into immobility. Works well.

emery.dewitt
12-02-2016, 08:26 AM
I made a heck of a mess on my prized Bosch 12" miter saw cutting 1/8" angle. I had it in "tent" orientation, and moved too quickly on the initial cut. It snagged and destroyed the blade and damaged the saw. I blogged the whole saga back to sawing health at http://emz3cp.blogspot.com/2015/12/an-expensive-lesson.html

oskar270
12-02-2016, 08:54 AM
I will choose L against the fence which is also easier to clamp

Thanks

6PTsocket
12-02-2016, 11:04 AM
What blade do you reccomend? I have a 12" DeWalt. I have never cut aluminum on the miter saw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boslab
12-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Tent orientation will take the leg at the back into severely positive rake, it try's to pick the Ali up, I found out the hard way too btw so don't beat yourself up, you want one leg flare and one vertical against the backstop, and restrained from lifting with somthing more substantial than fingers!
Stick a block on top in the gullet of the angle and clamp down, cut the block as well if you like.
Mark

macona
12-02-2016, 12:04 PM
I use standard blades to cut the stuff but the aluminum specific blades work much better.

oskar270
12-02-2016, 12:22 PM
What blade do you reccomend? I have a 12" DeWalt. I have never cut aluminum on the miter saw.

You must use carbide tip blade

oskar270
12-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Tent orientation will take the leg at the back into severely positive rake, it try's to pick the Ali up, I found out the hard way too btw so don't beat yourself up, you want one leg flare and one vertical against the backstop, and restrained from lifting with somthing more substantial than fingers!
Stick a block on top in the gullet of the angle and clamp down, cut the block as well if you like.
Mark

Can you please expalin the orientation you recommend? I dont quite understand

boslab
12-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Sorry, my spell thingy is suffering from demonic possession, I put the angle into the table to backstop so one leg is flat and the other vertical, I tried tent and fingers and swiftly found out what a 1500 watt mousetrap feels like on your fingertips, ouch F,,,,,Ffff, arse, etc, etc, etc, hence the block of wood and clamp approach, when I worked at an Ali works (the Mrs was a saw operator) they nested them vee towards the operator, apex towards the operator but they were cutting 30 at a time of inch by inch on a pendulum saw with air clamps in 2 planes, she showed me (yes I know) how to cut them idividually, so that's how I do it, I've watched videos of tent cutting but the painful memory of it biting the angle and lifting it makes me cringe.
Wax on the blade, or tallow as we used in the Ali works helps a lot.
Both me and the Mrs were a bit deaf when we left the place, ear muffs help.
Mark

macona
12-02-2016, 01:44 PM
You must use carbide tip blade

High Speed steel bladed work fine too.

oskar270
12-02-2016, 02:25 PM
I don’t think fingers can hold any aluminum for cutting, that’s if you value your fingers!

I always use clamps and yes I always use muffs which I didn’t when I was younger.

gellfex
12-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Most blades will work, but carbide triple chip pattern with low rake and high tooth frequency is best. Like a 60 tooth 10" or 80 tooth 12". Worked as a lad in a lighting factory that cut a lot of AL extrusion.

6PTsocket
12-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Most blades will work, but carbide triple chip pattern with low rake and high tooth frequency is best. Like a 60 tooth 10" or 80 tooth 12". Worked as a lad in a lighting factory that cut a lot of AL extrusion.
Thanks, that is the info. I was looking for