PDA

View Full Version : I would like to make a nice unchinese sawblade sharpener

Alistair Hosie
12-03-2016, 02:51 PM
I have been toying with the idea of making a non flimsy but useable woo or metal saw blade sharpener. I would like to make it for circular t c t saw blades and have the availability to convert,
IF POSSIBLE? to a bandsaw blade sharpener .I particularly like this one currently for sale on Ebay u k . Nobody bid on it first time round so it has been re- listed. Now I understand fully this is not a device for sharpening as it has no motor or cutting blade. Can any of my friends here help me by look8ing at it and maybe working out if it is complete, or even how it works, If POSSIBLE PLEASE ?
I really like these type of older stiffer better constructed machinery. Would you buy it ? can it be used, do you think? any help would be great. Obviously I have tried to look it up with no success so far any help would be great thanks,
The last post I put re the guillotine shear will be accompanied by a few pictures soon hopefully as my son is going to help me post pics again. Thanks in advance guys n gals if any

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162307050790?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Paul Alciatore
12-03-2016, 03:07 PM
It obviously could be the basis of a saw sharpening device. They do not say what size mounting holes it will accommodate. Even the el-cheapo Harbor Freight saw sharpening device can accommodate several sizes. But here you don't know.

Combining that with the lack of an instruction book, the price is rather steep. I wouldn't even know where the wheel should be located around that device. And perhaps some pieces are missing.

If you want an adventure, I would offer about 10% or 20% of their stated price.

PS: You have a double post.

BCRider
12-03-2016, 03:46 PM
From what i see there I'd say it's a nice enough blade holder intended to be used on a rather fancy and comprehensive grinding setup. But this frame is JUST the holder. You're missing the other 80% which is the rest of the machine that this holder mounts onto.

I suspect that locking yourself into that holder and having to design around it might be more difficult than just doing something from scratch. On top of that there's no information about what size arbor hole it is intended for. It may not even be for holding table saw blades at all.

Alistair Hosie
12-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Just what I was thinking :confused:thanks for the speedy reply You guys are truly my best friends Alistair ps even Big bad JOHN and my other good pal in Deutschland Schwartz wald . Alistair

Baz
12-03-2016, 07:05 PM
It was on Apex auctions on 8 Nov so this garage trader must have picked it up for peanuts when nobody knew what to make of it. It would be nice to some more information about it on the 'net if just for the historical record. Perhaps some old woodworking magazine somewhere has a review of it.

GEP
12-04-2016, 08:48 AM
It obviously could be the basis of a saw sharpening device. They do not say what size mounting holes it will accommodate. Even the el-cheapo Harbor Freight saw sharpening device can accommodate several sizes. But here you don't know.

Combining that with the lack of an instruction book, the price is rather steep. I wouldn't even know where the wheel should be located around that device. And perhaps some pieces are missing.

If you want an adventure, I would offer about 10% or 20% of their stated price.

PS: You have a double post.

Back in the old days when a was a apprentice in Germany the carpentry or cabinet shop (Tischlerei) had a band saw blade sharpener. It was nothing like you are showing

DATo
12-04-2016, 09:37 AM
There are some interesting designs for circular saw sharpeners on You Tube. Most are fairly crude and I think with what a HSM knows he could make vast improvements upon them, but the videos provide some basic and inventive ideas which can help get the creative juices flowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKHjxa4a0rk
(This one looks like a good HSM project.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-4xehgbZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-jyyNm4k0
EDIT: (Very crude but apparently works and not too bad for a non-machinist.)

reggie_obe
12-04-2016, 10:21 AM
What's wrong with the sawblade sharpener you bought here?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/70280-can-anyone-and-I-mean-anyone-here-offer-even-the-remotest-help

Alistair Hosie
12-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Same as happens to all my good stuff Reggie Brother .My eldest son Alistair JNR's eyes lit up so much and he was drooling over it and getting the floor wet , so as usual I gave it to him he has established a business now over a few years buying and selling machinery. although he studied law at University of Cardiff and also his barristers exams he did English law useless when he returned to Scotland . as far as giving him machinery I buy I do this very often well that's how it is as I love all three of them he gives me nice things he buys too to be fair. On top of which it was heavy and designed not really for a guy like myself with a few dozen saw blades. It is an industrial model. Anyway I like the idea of making one that is why I built the shops 2 off I have one for wood large and a smaller one because of the weight of some of my machinery and the fact I live overlooking the sea and they built these very few houses right at the top of the hill to maximize views. Most of my neighbours houses have long since split into two flats or more. mine is as built in 1890's This makes moving some very heavy stuff into the wood shop although I have taken or my sons took a Wadkin saw up there in pieces. Up my very steep drive round the back of my house up a flight of about ten stairs and up a grassy paved steep path and into my woodshop. This saw was around eight hundred kilo's but came down to pieces the size of shirt buttons which made it a long but easier job. When you consider my metal lathe is 1200 + kilos it just could not be done all in one building .God bless Reggie and all you great friends Alistair