PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this type of LED shop light

Axkiker
12-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Ran across a craigslist add for LED shop lights. After some research it appears they are advertising the same lights listed in this Alibaba add.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Shenzhen-LED-Wholesaler-price-tube-8_1179036936.html

A couple questions come to mind. Has anyone used this type before??? Also im not totally sure I understand the add. They dont list a price only a range from I think 1 - 11. I also think they show a minimum purchase of 40 units. Are you just supposed to contact the seller for a quote ??

Anyone purchased something like this from them before? Can someone fill me in on how it works. I dont need them right away so if I have to wait for the slow boat from china to show up I can. even at 11.00 a piece its still the cheapest LED shop lights I have found.

tyrone shewlaces
12-10-2016, 07:08 PM
rather than alibaba, look for them on ali express. It's more like a "buy-it-now" ebay or amazon-like site, where it's about the same stuff but buying is more straightforward end-user consumer targeted.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=8FT+LED+tube+T8

As for using them, I've not tried those specific tubes but I have bought several 4ft LED tubes and fixtures (the bulbs were direct replacements for fluorescent, i.e. fit and work in the same old fixtures with the new LED tubes) from Costco and I really like them. Definitely better than flickering fluorescents and pretty much instant on even when cold. A bit brighter too and less energy consumed of course. So far my oldest ones have been working for about a year and a half and still going fine.

wierdscience
12-10-2016, 07:38 PM
I haven't used any of those,but have been using the LED direct wire bulbs,it would be simple to make your own fixture if you wanted.

softtail
12-10-2016, 07:41 PM
I bought the Utilitechs from Lowes.. love them.. can't say enough. Shop is so much nicer. Glad to have a fluorescent free life.

lakeside53
12-10-2016, 07:41 PM
I've recently replaced about 30 4 ft T8 tubes with similar - $5.62 each at Home Depot. Mine were "replacement" not direct wire. Very happy with them

alanganes
12-10-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking it is time to do this in my shop, I have about 20 tubes or so. For those who have gotten them did you get the "daylight" or the "cool white" versions?

Lew Hartswick
12-10-2016, 10:19 PM
I can't make any sense out of their data sheet.
For examples:

tube 8 tube8 8FT LED tube T8 8FT 4FT LED ( What is a 8FT 4FT ???? )
1.8FT LED tube light Specification: then the spec, Size 2400x30x30mm

just what the heck is that all mean??????
...lew...

lakeside53
12-10-2016, 10:29 PM
It means you need to read Chinese and get the Chinese data sheets!

Their Translation is less than stellar, but i'm sure they know what they mean. lol

winchman
12-11-2016, 01:38 AM
I think it means they replace an 8-foot fluorescent tube with two 4-foot LED tubes. I updated the non-working 8-foot fluorescent fixture in my newly-purchased shop building with a retrofit kit from Home Depot that included everything needed for rewiring the fixture. I'm happy with the new lights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/Walls%20and%20lights%20004_zps2ubzjswj.jpg

LEDs are on the left in the picture.

I can't understand why anyone would use the LED replacement bulbs that work off the ballast. Getting rid of the noisy ballast was really important to me.

wierdscience
12-11-2016, 02:42 AM
I'm thinking it is time to do this in my shop, I have about 20 tubes or so. For those who have gotten them did you get the "daylight" or the "cool white" versions?

I went with daylight and don't regret it,but it is mainly a personal choice.

wierdscience
12-11-2016, 02:46 AM
I can't understand why anyone would use the LED replacement bulbs that work off the ballast. Getting rid of the noisy ballast was really important to me.

Agreed,getting rid of the noise,the flicker and the possible failure is a big plus.At work we retrofitted a bunch of fixtures with direct wire 8' bulbs.$28 worth of new bulbs is a better deal than $55 worth of new ballast.

GEP
12-11-2016, 06:49 AM
If you are willing to wait for a long time on your order its ok. Banggood's order and distribution sucks

flylo
12-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Banggood which I don't buy from have a US warehouse which cost a bit mote but is quick or from China which is cheaper & takes longer.

tincture500
12-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Agreed,getting rid of the noise,the flicker and the possible failure is a big plus.At work we retrofitted a bunch of fixtures with direct wire 8' bulbs.$28 worth of new bulbs is a better deal than $55 worth of new ballast.
Costco has 2-48" LED. 110v shop lamps with pull strings and plug. - sale $10.99. Was $29 good till Christmas. Got three , they are bright and good salute color. Come with hangers and plug attached.

You need to plug these in-. I tried to wire into a junction box direct( cut the plug off) and the fixture would not light. Tested current, had juice though-out but no light. Put plug back on and works like a charm. Must be something extra in the plug ?????
Very satisfied with light output and quality. Tom

lynnl
12-11-2016, 08:17 AM
You need to plug these in-. I tried to wire into a junction box direct( cut the plug off) and the fixture would not light. Tested current, had juice though-out but no light. Put plug back on and works like a charm. Must be something extra in the plug ?????

Is it possible that you wired it in with the hot and neutral reversed?

Ed ke6bnl
12-11-2016, 10:07 AM
I have now purchased about 10 4ft. bulbs from earthled and they range from about $10 to $15 FREE SHIPPING I have gone to the ballast delete bulbs, more energy efficient and no ballast ever to worry about that cost plenty and uses energy to work.

A.K. Boomer
12-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Costco has 2-48" LED. 110v shop lamps with pull strings and plug. - sale $10.99. Was $29 good till Christmas. Got three , they are bright and good salute color. Come with hangers and plug attached.

Yes - boy did you get a deal - I got them on sale for 23 and thought it amazing --- no real track record yet but so far what a great change, instant on in the coldest of mornings - way brighter than my old F's and about 2/3rd the power consumption... if they last as long as the ratings state on the packs you cannot go wrong...

Hal
12-11-2016, 12:04 PM

Tom do you know if this is a in store special ?
On line it is shows a pair is $50.00 on sale for $40.00.
Thanks for the heads up.

Hal

Cuttings
12-11-2016, 12:05 PM
One word of caution with LED lights. Be weary of the lower cost LED's some of them used to generate a lot of RF noise from there power supplies. It would get into a lot of electronic devises.
Petro-Canada refit a service station somewhere in Ontario and they had the whole local neighborhood up in arms because of all the noise they were transmitting. in the marine industry we always specified low RF LED lights and had very little trouble with them. If they could not tell you if they were low RF we wouldn't touch them.

lakeside53
12-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Why? Because not all ballasts are noisy or a problem. Mine are Sylvania T8, high frequency electronic types, and only a few years old. LED tubes don't need the high voltage start so they will last. The Phillips LED tubes I'm putting in work perfectly, 5 year warranty, were dirt cheap ($5.62 each), and it's a 10 second job. Eventually (many not in my lifetime) I'll change mine to more modern fixtures.

And of course, there are a lot of people who should NOT be trying to convert fittings from ballast to direct wire ;)

Don't assume using a ballast is materially more inefficient (not taking about those from 1980's that were truly "ballasts"). The LED tubes do not use the heater circuit or high voltage start - just the constant current from the ballast power supply. Cheap Led arrays just string the led together on a rectified dc path (often with poor filtering) ; decent quality will still have a power supply limiting current, filtering rf etc.

lakeside53
12-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Is it possible that you wired it in with the hot and neutral reversed?

That would be my guess unless the "plug" is a really a power supply, but if that was the case I doubt the unit would have worked again after you put it back on.

Axkiker
12-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Are you able to daisy chain the costco lights together. Thats a big selling point for me because my current garage lighting is a hodge podge of stuff. It would be a big pain for me to wire up a bunch of receptacles or junction boxes.

Axkiker
12-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Here are the same lights offered on Flebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182371696752?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=484932951323&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Can anyone make sense of the light output. Im trying to compare them vs standard t8 fluorescent. My garage is only 25x30 so I cant imagine I would need more than 10.

lugnut
12-11-2016, 01:44 PM
I have both the 4' replacement and 4' complete fixture LED units from CostCo and really like them. I need all the light I can get with my old worn eyes and they great for the money. I plan on more before the first of the year.

lakeside53
12-11-2016, 01:51 PM
65 watts? yet the spec lower down says 18W. Do they means it replaces 2 x 32 watt tubes? at 120w/lumens.. (if you believe that) no..

Lumens : 1700 - less than my replacement tubes but this may not be reality and this is Chinese English issues... I suspect they just mixed two different spec's, the spec part is from T8 replacement tubes, and don't have a clue what they are reading. Take your chances.

And.. don't take it as written that they are actually CSA or UL (anyone can copy a symbol) ask for the registration number and look it up.

bborr01
12-11-2016, 02:57 PM
I have been wondering is those strip led's would work with a florescent reflector. Maybe stick them to a piece of aluminum angle and shine them toward the reflector. Thoughts?

Brian

wierdscience
12-11-2016, 05:30 PM

The bulbs I was referring to are the 8 foot two pin direct wire LED bulbs.We have a bunch of those fixtures at work with either bad florescent bulbs and or ballasts.The replacement ballasts are $55 and new florescent bulbs are $7-8 so the $14/each LED direct wire bulbs are a no brainer.Takes about 5-10 minutes per fixture to jerk the ballast and direct wire the bulb holders.

Yesterday morning it was 34* in the shop at work,the florescent bulbs we haven't replaced yet were a flickering noisy mess while the ones we converted to LED just worked as they were supposed to.

lakeside53
12-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I have been wondering is those strip led's would work with a florescent reflector. Maybe stick them to a piece of aluminum angle and shine them toward the reflector. Thoughts?

Brian

Unless you have an indirect fitting why? Just more light losses

gellfex
12-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Are you able to daisy chain the costco lights together. Thats a big selling point for me because my current garage lighting is a hodge podge of stuff. It would be a big pain for me to wire up a bunch of receptacles or junction boxes.

Yes they do. Wish the ones I put up 20 years ago did that, would have saved me a lot of wiring. But since my ceiling is low, it did incidentally set me up with outlets everywhere!

tincture500
12-11-2016, 10:08 PM

Brian
Brian. This is the tubes and fixture, pull chain, hangers , the reflectors _ the whole thing. Just plug in and there is a very bright light. Just mentioned the plug issue if others were thinking about direct wiring I just added a plug receptive next to the junction box and plugged it in. Ad the junction box fed the lights via switch, I am happy. Tom

Paul Alciatore
12-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I am in the process of replacing all the fluorescents in my home and shop with LEDs. I bought Sunco brand through Amazon for $9 or $10 each (price change). I needed a total of 40 bulbs. They can work direct wire or with a ballast. I wanted to get rid of the ballasts as many of mine are 20 or 30 years old or worse.

Rewiring is easy. You just gather all the wires on one end of the fixture and connect them together. Then to one side of the AC connection. Then you do the same with all the wires on the other end and connect that bundle to the other side of the AC. Done. They are more efficient when connected directly to the power instead of through the ballasts.

When I installed them in my kitchen and breakfast room four tube fixtures, I discovered that three of the LED bulbs were brighter than the original four fluorescents. I will be installing three instead of four in all the four tube fixtures. And two for two in the shop where I could use some more light.

One bonus that I found with the LED bulbs. I have always had to fight the four foot fluorescent bulbs to get them in the sockets. The LED bulbs fit right in. NO PROBLEMS WHAT-SO-EVER. I guess for once the designers of these new bulbs actually read the specs and adhered to them. BRAVO!

gzig5
12-11-2016, 11:26 PM

I did exactly this tonight. Installed four of the FEIT 4' light assemblies I got from Costco a few months back on sale. Cut the plug off one and wired directly to the junction box with absolutely no problems. I specifically paid attention to which wire was hot and which was neutral though. Love these lights! Replacement bulbs are no-go for me because most of the sockets have a bent contact and that's why the stupid things don't stay on or won't start unless you tap them. Just replace the whole thing. The new ones I got can be daisy chained with no additional wiring. Plug one into the end of the other and the first one into a socket or off a switch. Very nice touch

danlb
12-12-2016, 10:30 PM
65 watts? yet the spec lower down says 18W. Do they means it replaces 2 x 32 watt tubes? at 120w/lumens.. (if you believe that) no..

Lumens : 1700 - less than my replacement tubes but this may not be reality and this is Chinese English issues... I suspect they just mixed two different spec's, the spec part is from T8 replacement tubes, and don't have a clue what they are reading. Take your chances.

And.. don't take it as written that they are actually CSA or UL (anyone can copy a symbol) ask for the registration number and look it up.

I just installed two of those 4 foot bulbs in my garage today. It looked a lot brighter, so I checked. According to my light meter, I'm getting 470 LUX at my mill's table, which is 5 foot below the light. Then I checked a second fixture with fluorescents and read only 260 LUX at 5 foot.

To be fair, the fluorescents were only on for 3 or four minutes when I measured the brightness. I don't know how long they take to get to full power. I doubt that they will double in brightness. The garage was 55 degrees when I ran the check.

One plausible reason the LED lights re outshining the fluorescent is that the LEDs have a reflector hidden inside the glass. This directs the majority of the 1700 lumens toward the ground. A fluorescent throws the light in all directions, including directions where all the reflections will be blocked by the bulb itself. Lumens absorbed by fixtures and other obstructions might as well not exist.

Dan

danlb
12-13-2016, 12:35 AM
I had a few spare minutes, so I did a better check. The thermometer in the garage read 55 degrees at the work bench.

I put a fresh battery in the light meter and set it on my work bench at the same place as before. Turned out all other lights and then turned on the Fluorescent. It started at 180 LUX, then dropped to 170. Over the course of 10 minutes it rose to 340 LUX and then stabilized.

The fluorescent fixture is only a year old, and is used a few hours per week. 4 foot, dual T8 bulbs. 3400K color temperature. 32 watts per bulb.

danlb
01-01-2017, 10:38 PM
I evidently did not post the followup to my LED conversion tests.

I checked the power usage with a Kill-a-watt meter.

The old fixture with two fluorescents used 61 watts.

The same fixture with two LED tubes takes 31 watts.

470 LUX at 31 watts = 15 lux per watt.
340 LUX at 61 watts = 5.5 lux per watt.

That means the LED tube almost 3 times more efficient.

Dan