PDA

View Full Version : OT- what is this chuck worth?

steve herman
12-17-2016, 02:35 AM
I have a Pratt Burnerd 8" 3 jaw lathe chuck that I would like to sell but have no idea HOW TO PRICE IT.

THE #125002015 AND MADE IN England ARE THE ID markings.

Steve

oldtiffie
12-17-2016, 02:42 AM
I guess that the answer to that is that the "price" at which you are prepared to go down to and which a potential buyer is prepared to "comeup"to a monetary value which satisfies both parties and as a basis for a successful sale/deal is concluded.

Chris Evans
12-17-2016, 04:32 AM
Condition is everything when it comes to putting a value on it. I have a good looking Pratt Burnerd 160mm chuck that I am about to replace because it is worn out, it is worth very little compared to a good one with a few more years use left in it.

Baz
12-17-2016, 05:48 AM
Crucially does it have the second set of jaws? Two thirds or more of the chucks for auction don't. Also lots of dummies trying to sell loose jaws for goodness knows what which makes the chuck seller add when asked " spare jaws readily available". It also depends on where you are located whether there are lots of tools and lots of buyers.

Black Forest
12-17-2016, 07:55 AM
I guess that the answer to that is that the "price" at which you are prepared to go down to and which a potential buyer is prepared to "comeup"to a monetary value which satisfies both parties and as a basis for a successful sale/deal is concluded.

That is about the dumbest response you have posted yet Siffie!

David Powell
12-17-2016, 08:47 AM
That is about the dumbest response you have posted yet Siffie!

I am a builder, and collector, of model traction engines and steam wagons, specifically in 2" scale. I also dabble in similar sized model railway engines, both buying and selling. As Tiffie says The price always depends on how little the seller will settle for and how much the buyer thinks it is worth to him. If I really want to buy an item I will pay more than I originally planned if necessary. If selling then I ask a sensible price which includes a margin for negotiation, If a reasonable offer turns up which is lower than my asking price but within the margin I planned, I sometimes take it. It is different when buying corn flakes at the supermarket, there is NO chance of negotiation or compromise with the checkout girl. PS If anyone has a 2" scale working model of a Sentinel Steam waggon and is willing to sell I am keenly interested and will pay well. I already have a Clayton and a Foden. Regards David Powell.

polaraligned
12-17-2016, 08:59 AM
I would look on E-bay for the same, or similar chucks in similar condition. Look at sales only.
If the sale is local, you may not be able to get 50% of what you get on E-bay, because you have a much smaller audience. I often can't get rid of something locally, yet I have no problem getting rid of it on E-bay.

In defense of oldtiffies statement, I always say that you can get as much as somebody is willing to pay. On some unusual items, the price will be an unknown going into the sale, but you have to make an educated guess as to how much it will be worth to somebody who needs it.

I have a couple of similar Made in England chucks that I would like to get rid of. Too bad there is not a classified section on this forum.

lynnl
12-17-2016, 09:47 AM
....The price always depends on how little the seller will settle for and how much the buyer thinks it is worth to him. ...

Well of course it does! That's the definition of a sale price and everyone knows it. That's why it serves no purpose to always throw that out here to someone seeking a reasonable asking price.

Black Forest
12-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Well of course it does! That's the definition of a sale price and everyone knows it. That's why it serves no purpose to always throw that out here to someone seeking a reasonable asking price.

Thank you Lynnl. What help is it to write it is worth what someone will pay? That is not what the OP asked and most on here are smart enough to know that. The chuck has a minimum value of what ever scrap metal is selling for by the pound. It goes up from there depending on condition and location. I often have wondered what something might sell for so I check Ebay's sold items and then the local listings for machining related items and then try to make an estimate of somethings value. Whether buying or selling. Mostly buying for me as I hate to sell things. Too much trouble with tire kickers.

softtail
12-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Put it on Ebay with good pictures and description and the market will speak. With your location there is good chance of local or regional sale.

Mcgyver
12-17-2016, 10:23 AM

+1. at least we didn't get google links for a search of "worth" :)

To the OP, agree with Chris. Pratt B is a top brand, but any particular one's value with depend on condition condition condition. Really good condition? $300 cdn.

A.K. Boomer
12-17-2016, 10:35 AM

It serves a purpose if it triggers someone into throwing it up for auction and letting the people decide - Like in E-bay, which seems the way the thread is heading - so sounds like Tiffer may not be all that far off...

put it out there with a minimum starting bid and let it roll, put it out there with a several day bidding to ensure it gets a vast amount of coverage,,, if it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay then guess what - that's all it's worth, makes for the seller being able to settle for whatever it brings - sometimes a nice surprise - sometimes not so much so...

no tire kickers to deal with - buyers either sac up and make a bid or pour themselves a nice tall hot cup of STFU...

That being said if a couple or more really "want it" for some reason or another it can stir up a last minute "shark attack" than can actually make it worth more than it was really worth - even for the sap who's now the new owner...

flylo
12-17-2016, 11:19 AM
This one sold for $30 GPD in the UK eBay item number:122151615686 but it depends on many factors & condition.

lakeside53
12-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Assuming you are selling it in a nationwide market (like Ebay),and if it's in good condition - $175-250. if "excellent" with removable top jaws and a popular mount, maybe upwards of $300 or so. Post pics... and we can tell you more.