PDA

View Full Version : Monarch for 2k

1-800miner
12-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Just posted on craigslist last night. It's 6 a.m. Do I wake them up or wait until a civilized hour?
I haven't figured out how to post a link. It is the Bakersfield craigslist.

Mcgyver
12-20-2016, 09:08 AM
10ee? whether its wake them up and run or roll over and go back to sleep yourself.....is entirely dependent on condition and tooling

1-800miner
12-20-2016, 09:14 AM
I am not familiar enough with Monarch to tell from the few pictures.
Quick internet search...I am thinking it is a 16c.

Bellingahmster
12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Ad says call or text.... I'd text them ASAP saying you're interested, and ask them what time you should call.

That's a nice looking lathe w/ taper attachment. I like the spin-on oil filter. That probably wasn't original, but a great idea!
Looks to be a 14C model.

flylo
12-20-2016, 10:31 AM
I'd text I'd take it subject to inspection if you're serious.

polaraligned
12-20-2016, 11:40 AM
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/tls/5926133774.html

1-800miner
12-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Just finished a phone call. It's mine. Pick it up after Christmas.
4 and 3 jaws, milk crates of tooling. Also a horizontal mill to look at.
I asked if it was a 14 or 16. The reply, "Oh it's really a big machine"
And it is single phase.

ncjeeper
12-20-2016, 12:31 PM
Nice score.

Glug
12-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Congratulations! That sounds and looks great. How far away is it? That bodes well that the tooling is in similar condition. The shop also looks very clean. And the rod and clamp for the taper are present - they're often missing. Which one of those rods is the leadscrew? I can't see threads. What's the story on "Tonya"? It isn't a name you normally expect with a Monarch sale.

Regarding posting helpful for sale links.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wanted to post a for sale ad or auction listing in order to be helpful. It sure seems like that would be helpful. But now, I don't generally think it is.

Posting it can spoil a deal, or raise the price. You may be alerting a broker or dealer. This happens often with other similar items - vises, for example. Someone posts a link asking if it is a good deal, and poof - gone. Or someone else calls first and gets a 'hold' on the machine.

Anyone who wants one of these machines, and is willing to put the time in to search and inspect, can find one. But posting links just undermines their efforts and potentially allows someone lazy to get the jump.

Someone local may be scrambling to make arranagements to buy a machine. And it's not just a matter of money - it's finding the time to inspect (it takes quite a lot of time to inspect a lathe like that - even if you have practice), figuring out how to rig and haul it, whether they have sufficient space, etc. Whether the electrical and RPM capability of the machine meet their needs, etc.

Even on the PM Monarch forum, people don't post these for sale ads. The only exception is typically when an ad has stayed up for a prolonged period of time, or when an ad implies scrapping soon.

It's the same situation with auctions. I spent a lot of time tracking down info on a lathe at auction earlier this year. It was a short auction, 4 days, and it was over a weekend. It was listed Thursday and I saw it Friday. It was a rare lathe, and I really wanted it.

Getting in contact with the seller, at an R&D facility, was a major effort - I wasn't even able to do that. With significant effort and honest schmoozing, I managed to speak with some other people who worked at the company (a subsequent callback revealed that the staff had been put on company-wide alert about giving out info). I tried but wasn't able to arrange an inspection for Monday. The machine was 7.5 hours away. I drove downstate, 4 hours closer, hoping I might get to inspect on the Monday before the auction. It was described as 'poor' condition, but the photos suggested otherwise.

If someone had posted that auction, I would have been screwed - there would have been a lot of interest. Fortunately no one did. I sat inside on the first gorgeous spring day of the year - 80F and sunny - bidding. The weather surely worked in my favor - I was the only serious bidder and got it for the reserve.

1-800miner
12-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Not sure but kind of sounded like a retirement or death, selling for someone else sale.
Stay tuned. After Christmas I will post details and pictures.
Oh hurry, Santa!

Alistair Hosie
12-20-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't think I have ever seen that particular monarch before, although as you well know they are very highly regarded by some very knowledgeable machinists. It looks to be nice and clean and well looked after.
I hope ,and wish you every happiness brother, and also hope you get many years of good use, and fun from it too why not I do from mine. Making myself a machine shop was one of the best retired decisions I ever made,that and my nice big woodshop keep me a happy old bunny. LOL Wow someone's going to get a few mind filled with monarchs and related machines- sleepless nights over the next few weeks. Alistair

boslab
12-20-2016, 01:44 PM
looks a nice machine, I think she's been cherished by someone, I hope the mill works out too
Mark

flylo
12-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Looks like a partial recent paint job & missing some bolts on the headstock lid, looks like 2 are holding on. I got one that looks just like it only not as nice in the shop I bought last fall & it's a 16". IMHO if it's close enough I'd go see it & put some $$ down just to be sure you want it & lock in the deal if you do.

BCRider
12-20-2016, 02:07 PM
A VERY NICE SCORE for you. And given your recent history I can't see it going to a better or more deserving new owner.

You're in for a bit of a drive to get there and pack it up aren't you? This isn't something you can just toss in the back of a half ton.

polaraligned
12-20-2016, 02:48 PM
Regarding posting helpful for sale links.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wanted to post a for sale ad or auction listing in order to be helpful. It sure seems like that would be helpful. But now, I don't generally think it is.

Posting it can spoil a deal, or raise the price. You may be alerting a broker or dealer. This happens often with other similar items - vises, for example. Someone posts a link asking if it is a good deal, and poof - gone. Or someone else calls first and gets a 'hold' on the machine.

I assume this is aimed at the link I posted. If the OP had not completely given it away by saying Bakersfield CL, I would not have posted the link. Heck, just saying it was on CL was potentially ruining the deal as there are several search engines that will search CL for the whole country. If the OP lists too much information, then the risk is all his. He could have just posted pictures.

softtail
12-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Google does it well. Type: site: craigslist.org "monarch lathe"

Change whatever is between the quotes to define you search.

flylo
12-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Here's a bigger Mnarch but farther https://for-sale.yakaz.com/monarch-lathe#lo=4&docid=0009nmt446dionqq seems like a good deal if in good shape.

v860rich
12-20-2016, 04:54 PM
GLUG In 1-800's first post he says he doesn't know how to post a link, to me this says "if anyone else knows how, please do so"

THANX RICH

1-800miner
12-20-2016, 06:45 PM
I have not given him the money yet. We both have schedules to work out.
But the man says it's mine and, na´ve me, I believe a man is good on his word until proven wrong.
If some one weasels their way in, well that's what weasels do.

boslab
12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
But the man says it's mine and, na´ve me, I believe a man is good on his word until proven wrong.
I think this one has your name on it, I don't think you'll be weaselled, ...but it might be worth a deposit?
Don't suppose it needs it, you don't deserve to be disappointed, you had your allowance
Mark

DS_park
12-20-2016, 07:02 PM
Nice find 1-800. Glad you got it after all you've been through.

flylo
12-20-2016, 07:45 PM
I think it will make a fine start on the new shop, congrats & I sure he'll hold it for you. Do you have a way to load/haul it? I wasn't trying to be negative but have seen people offer a bit more & people I thought were honest sold thing out from under me. Congrats!

Willy
12-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Yes, what Mark said, you deserve this one and I don't think weaseling will be a factor here.
Congratulations, on what looks to be a well cared for machine.
Couldn't happen to a better guy and at just the right time.
Merry Christmas!

1-800miner
12-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Just got ten ply tires for the trailer and going to repack the bearings tomorrow.

38_Cal
12-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Has anyone mentioned that you may suck just a little bit? <VBG>

KIMFAB
12-20-2016, 08:34 PM
The ad is still up. I would advise you to get those tires on and the bearings repacked NOW!

The machine is picked up tomorrow, hopefully by you but maybe by someone with an extra $2500. Don't ask me how I know.

Craigslist 101: do not brag about an upcoming but not finalized transaction on craigslist.

1-800miner
12-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Has anyone mentioned that you may suck just a little bit? <VBG>

I am not sucking. I am holding my breath until I lay cash in his hand.
Besides, it has to have pictures to be true.

sawlog
12-20-2016, 09:15 PM
I seen one here locally for even less but too many folks don't have the space or shop to support them

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

DR
12-21-2016, 11:57 AM

This can be a tricky situation.

You agree to purchase something at the listed price, then the seller gets multiple calls/offers to pay more before you get there. Happened to me several times.

One memorable event, I was first caller on a piece of fab equipment on CL. We agreed I would buy at listed price, but couldn't meet until late the next day. Okay, we had a nice phone conversation. It turned out we had mutual friends and similar interests in shop projects. It was like connecting with an old friend so we were both looking forward to meeting.

When I got there his wife answered the door. She said she hoped I would haul the damn machine away because the phone had been ringing off the hook. When the seller appeared he was no longer Mr Nice Guy, he was pissed. Probably not so much at me, but because he had so grossly misjudged value/interest in the machine. Unfortunately I had to take the brunt of the seller's anger. If the seller hadn't had such bad attitude toward me I might have offered him more, but not with his attitude.

1-800miner
12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
You guys have got me so nervous about missing this deal. To top it off I just tried calling him and the phone is busy.
Who is he talking to? How much is he being offered? Should I call the operator to interrupt the call?
You have turned me into a nut case.

Joe Rogers
12-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Get in your car...
Joe

MichaelP
12-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Usually, the majority of the Craig's list sellers sell it to the first one who brought the money. I guess this is justified by the fact that the prospective buyers, in many cases, miss appointments, disappear, change their plans...You name it. I had a recent episode like this with one of the forum members (the other forum), let alone the certified Craig's list a-holes.

I'm afraid man and his word, a handshake to complete a deal are things of the past. I'm still trying to follow this ancient tradition, but I get disappointed a way too often.

I sincerely wish your seller is different.

Glug
12-21-2016, 01:22 PM
It's always a tricky situation. Inspection of the machine is critical, and that takes a lot of time. Is it under power? I don't know how far away the machine is. I think I'd lean toward driving there and doing an exhaustive inspection. Then you either put money down and pick up later, or let it go. There may be deal breakers that will make you choose a different machine, or make you decide this price is not a fair deal.

How good of a deal is this? Condition is everything, and you don't know that yet.

There's a lot to check and it takes quite a bit of time. You're an experienced machinist, so I don't want to seem condescending by listing a few items that I worry/wonder about when checking a lathe. It's harder if the machine is not under power. There are lots of posts from 10ee buyers talking about things to check. How much you check depends on the circumstance, history, etc.

When a shop closes, and all the machines are sold, that can be a good thing. Especially if there are still fresh chips in the pan. I am more cautious with consignment sales and individual sellers.

I'd want to check every threading and power feed combination. Put it in the gear, turn the spindle to check for missing teeth. If the machine is not under power, then that is a big hassle and a lot of work. But if there's a broken tooth it might mean there is other damage, and could be a deal breaker.

I'd definitely want to pop the cover and look inside. You'll probably want to check runout at the spindle, check the bore, check tailstock height vs. the chuck, is the tailstock level, tailstock piston gear backlash (a big deal on a 10ee - excessive wear means making a new piston and nut), run a TI along a test bar - top and side. Often the ways are not worn but the saddle is. With the 10ee you remove a front wiper and check the gap between the saddle and flat way with a feeler gage. On that lathe it should be .005"-.010", but in worn cases it will be dragging. The ways on my 10ee look great, but the saddle is just starting to drag due to wear - that's easy to miss in an inspection, and I did.

If it's under power, turn a test bar with the power feed. The best practice is held between centers and driven with a dog. But even a piece of aluminum, in the chuck, will tell you a lot. Chucking a bar and rocking it, with a DTI, will give you another perspective on spingle bearing play.

Not sure if this lathe has a lube pump in the carriage, like a 10ee. Those lines often get clogged, or the oil in the carriage sump leaks out and it is operated dry. Either case often results in excessive wear. Unclogging the lines on the 10ee typically requires a pretty involved teardown. Is there oil visible in the sight glasses? I try and look for that in machine photos. Was it just topped up?

Taking a ton of pictures, with a good camera, is useful. Every surface of the machine, from different angles. I have missed things during my personal inspection and then spotted them later in the photos, or used them to confirm there is no issue. I have also had valuable parts removed from a machine after I have inspected and photographed it, or damaged (I'm talking about you, HGR!).

Some sellers power wash machines, including lathes. I've seen that on ebay, where the suds and water were still visible on the ground, with water still gleaming on flat surfaces of the machine. An evil seller might power wash, then dry it with a leaf blower, leaving the unsuspecting buyer to deal with the later consequences. Of course I'm not suggesting that is the case here, but it sure gave me pause.

Bringing a small mirror to look behind the apron can provide a useful perspective of history from that not easily cleaned area. You can also try and stick a camera under and in there.

What is the max rpm capability of the machine? I believe that will be shown on the plate. Some were 1000 rpm, others were below 500. Maybe not a concern, but it impacts value.

softtail
12-21-2016, 01:24 PM
This can be a tricky situation.

You agree to purchase something at the listed price, then the seller gets multiple calls/offers to pay more before you get there. .

It's tricky because people are often twerps. I reward the 'early bird'. First one to get in touch with me gets it.. even if it takes time to work it out. If they drop the ball they are out, and the second person gets a crack. I consider it dishonest to drop a verbal agreement with someone just because an easier or better deal comes along.. freekin bottom feeders. Guess I'm old an fashioned Boy Scout that way..

I detest the sellers who want to have everyone interested show at the same time so they get an impromptu auction. No thanks and good luck.

1-800miner
12-21-2016, 01:26 PM
I just got hold of him and told him about you guys driving me crazy. He started laughing and said it was my lathe. But if it made me feel better come today with cash and see my new toy.
His mother in law gets the cash so I am thinking it is a death or retirement sale.

DS_park
12-21-2016, 01:45 PM
1-800 updated while I was typing so a bit of an edit.

There are still folks out there who honor a persons word sealed with a handshake. Found my lathe this time of year. Went with enough cash for a deposit but not enough for the complete purchase (on purpose), also I was not equipped to move it alone. Was an estate type deal. Nice sellers refused a deposit, shook my hand, and arranged for a grand son to be available to help me move out of the basement on the weekend. Was a fair price, not a steal but very fair.

1-800 do take your camera and post a few pics.

ncjeeper
12-21-2016, 01:56 PM
I seen one here locally for even less but too many folks don't have the space or shop to support them

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Where? I am looking for a bigger one myself.

boslab
12-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Ive shot myself in the foot loads of times, I give a price for a job, that's it, that's what I charge, sometimes I've found myself making a loss, but my word is my word.
If the customer feels they screwed me and gives more I take it, but not without protest, I've turned it down more than I've taken it.
Some people honour thier word, and the rest get rich lol
I beleived it was going to be ok, but sometimes you still get a little voice in your ear, we all lack faith a bit!
Really happy it's ok, I think it's a good machine too, somthing about its condition says looked after!
Mark

Mcgyver
12-21-2016, 02:29 PM
I just got hold of him and told him about you guys driving me crazy. He started laughing and said it was my lathe. But if it made me feel better come today with cash and see my new toy.

I don't know how far away it is, but if you're close you should go see it pronto. If nothing else to inspect and decide if you want it. Its not a bargain if its a beater and badly worn. If he's going to hold it for several weeks because you said you take it that creates a pretty strong ethical case that you've bought it. What if you get there in X weeks and don't like the shape of it .....after he's held it and you said you'd take it, then what? Personally I would not buy a machine unseen and do not understand everyone doing so on ebay etc.

Sometimes when I've wanted to lock it down, I've proposed paying half now and half when I pick up, but I wantto take the lose bits pieces now. I strip it so if they are scoundrels they would have a hard time selling it, and even if they did I could part out what I have and recover. Me not being a scoundrel and doing what I say I'm going comes with the other 1/2 on and appointed time leaves with the lathe. Point is, its way lock down a smokin hot deal and also protect yourself when you can't immediately transport it.

I never underestimate the poor conduct and f'up sense and commercial right and wrong in others so I rarely have a problem and am always pleasantly surprised when encountering good people (which is usually the case). In commerical matters, just remember, what you think of as good people, very often aren't so good when interests diverge.

As for revealing where, bit of a moot point now, but I agree with Glug, it would better to keep the cards closer. Even if you trust all the folks participating here not to interfere, and you probably can with this esteemed crowd, there are 1047 guests reading this right now who are strangers with no particular reason to put your interests ahead of their own

good luck with it

sawlog
12-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Where? I am looking for a bigger one myself.

In Gastonia I think. When I get home I'll check. Look under metal lathes in Charlotte Craig's list. They are asking 3k for the lathe. It has been listed several times. If my shop was bigger I'd jump on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawlog
12-21-2016, 03:14 PM
I don't know how far away it is, but if you're close you should go see it pronto. If nothing else to inspect and decide if you want it. Its not a bargain if its a beater and badly worn. If he's going to hold it for several weeks because you said you take it that creates a pretty strong ethical case that you've bought it. What if you get there in X weeks and don't like the shape of it .....after he's held it and you said you'd take it, then what? Personally I would not buy a machine unseen and do not understand everyone doing so on ebay etc.

Sometimes when I've wanted to lock it down, I've proposed paying half now and half when I pick up, but I wantto take the lose bits pieces now. I strip it so if they are scoundrels they would have a hard time selling it, and even if they did I could part out what I have and recover. Me not being a scoundrel and doing what I say I'm going comes with the other 1/2 on and appointed time leaves with the lathe. Point is, its way lock down a smokin hot deal and also protect yourself when you can't immediately transport it.

I never underestimate the poor conduct and f'up sense and commercial right and wrong in others so I rarely have a problem and am always pleasantly surprised when encountering good people (which is usually the case). In commerical matters, just remember, what you think of as good people, very often aren't so good when interests diverge.

As for revealing where, bit of a moot point now, but I agree with Glug, it would better to keep the cards closer. Even if you trust all the folks participating here not to interfere, and you probably can with this esteemed crowd, there are 1047 guests reading this right now who are strangers with no particular reason to put your interests ahead of their own

good luck with it

I sold a smaller bench lathe locally. The gentleman came by and looked at it with a friend. We agreed on a price and he agreed to pick the lathe up the next weekend. It always is a pleasure to deal with someone who word is still good.

GNM109
12-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Figure on about 6,500 to 7,000 pounds if it is a 16 X 72 Monarch. My friend has a 20 X 72 with the hydraulic drive that weighs 8,500 pounds.

I'm sure that the man will honor your offer since he has said so. If you are concerned, why not send him a deposit on something like PayPal, until you can get there? Not everyone would want a machine that large. It's interesting that it's single phase, as well.

I'm of the opinion that Monarch made the best lathes. I've run a 10EE numerous times and they are nice.

justanengineer
12-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Those are nice machines despite their age, we've still got several that are worked hard in our tool room daily.

As for people and business, I'm firmly in the camp that something isnt "mine" until its on the trailer. I've bought and paypal paid for machines based solely off pics, only to have sellers get nervous and sell "my" machine to someone willing to haul it away before I could. Some sellers worry you wont want the iron upon closer inspection and take the guaranteed sale that shows up in the meantime.

ncjeeper
12-21-2016, 09:06 PM
In Gastonia I think. When I get home I'll check. Look under metal lathes in Charlotte Craig's list. They are asking 3k for the lathe. It has been listed several times. If my shop was bigger I'd jump on it

Ok I have seen that ad. Looking for a longer bed.

sawlog
12-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Great I didn't know that but I still would love to have it if I had the room

1-800miner
12-21-2016, 09:28 PM
He has the cash I have a bill of sale. It is a well cared for machine. 16 x 60. chucks, steady, follower, quick change tool holder, milk crates of stuff.
Also bought the round ram knee mill for 800$ with full tooling. I will load it after Christmas.
Wish you could see my grin.

flylo
12-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Great! I'm so happy it wotked out for you as if anyone deserves it you do. Merry Christmas!
Looks like the one I got with the "Went to buy a Bridgeport & bought the whole 32 machine, shop only mines shorter, 36" BTC I think.

Axkiker
12-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Did he remove the listing??? if so hes serious

Mcgyver
12-21-2016, 09:39 PM
way to go.... a very substantial step toward a full recovery and then some!

ulav8r
12-21-2016, 10:03 PM
When you start using it, be careful when setting the gears for speed. I almost had a mishap with one about 8 years ago. Had a vendor supplied part that needed a little modification. We had a steady rest that lined up after putting two 2x4's under it, figured that would be good enough at 20 rpm's. Got one of the gear levers wrong. A part that was a 5-6 foot long hollow tube about 5 inches diameter with a lump about 2 inches thick and 10 inches long hanging on the side was a little off balance. Luckily I was able to shut it down before it came off the machine but it did jump about 3 inches off center out at the end. After resetting the speed and the steady rest, we (me and our toolmaker) were able to complete the job with no further excitement. (No, I am not a machinist.)

1-800miner
12-21-2016, 10:42 PM
I guess I need a manual. It has way more controls than the old Atlas or Grizzly.
Kind of like jumping in a new piece of heavy equipment with the new fangled symbols in the controls.
If you are not sure what that button does, don't touch it.

flylo
12-21-2016, 10:54 PM
Check your PMs

Tundra Twin Track
12-22-2016, 12:58 AM
Congrats on your purchase Miner,I see a Arbor Press in the background of one pic maybe you could get yourself another toy!

1-800miner
12-22-2016, 09:32 AM
He has the press, a really nice Buffalo Forge camel back, and a bead blaster for sale as well.

flylo
12-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Maybe you'll find them under the tree:)

1-800miner
12-30-2016, 11:13 PM
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/1-800miner/new%20monarch_zpsndcacszu.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1-800miner/media/new%20monarch_zpsndcacszu.jpg.html)http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/1-800miner/IMG_0016_zpsokgwgzcs.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1-800miner/media/IMG_0016_zpsokgwgzcs.jpg.html)http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/1-800miner/IMG_0016_zpsokgwgzcs.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1-800miner/media/IMG_0016_zpsokgwgzcs.jpg.html)

Well If I did it right we have some pictures to look at.

My new lathe Bertha doesn't cut it, needs a larger name.

1-800miner
12-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Had a low front tire on the backhoe and my son nearly crapped himself when it picked a rear tire up.
Now he knows why I keep the outriggers close to the ground when picking big stuff.

1-800miner
12-30-2016, 11:32 PM
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/1-800miner/IMG_0023_zpswx99t1ex.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1-800miner/media/IMG_0023_zpswx99t1ex.jpg.html)http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/1-800miner/IMG_0024_zpsa7faallf.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1-800miner/media/IMG_0024_zpsa7faallf.jpg.html)http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/1-800miner/IMG_0025_zpswhuoikx5.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1-800miner/media/IMG_0025_zpswhuoikx5.jpg.html)

And here is the start of the new shop.
You have to use some imagination to see the finished product.

lakeside53
12-30-2016, 11:55 PM
well if i did it right we have some pictures to look at.

My new lathe bertha doesn't cut it, needs a larger name.

gonzilla

RichR
12-30-2016, 11:55 PM
My new lathe Bertha doesn't cut it, needs a larger name.

OK, how about Big Bertha.:rolleyes:

fixerdave
12-31-2016, 12:24 AM
... My new lathe Bertha doesn't cut it, needs a larger name.

How about the Monarch MegaLever? Meg for short. If you get all those knobs and levers in the right place, will it launch your work into space?

David...

PStechPaul
12-31-2016, 12:34 AM
"Full Monty?"

"Mongo?"

"Monzilla?"

:cool:

MattiJ
12-31-2016, 06:28 AM
Nice find!
Next you will need shop crane to change chucks.😀

softtail
12-31-2016, 09:40 AM
Phoenix

1-800miner
12-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Phoenix
Thank you.
I am naming the new shop Phoenix.

Toolguy
12-31-2016, 10:23 AM
The lathe could be a Monarch Butterfly...it's so light and fragile!:p

lakeside53
12-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Thank you.
I am naming the new shop Phoenix.

So the last one was Icarus ? ;)

1-800miner
12-31-2016, 01:50 PM
So the last one was Icarus ? ;)

Actually the old one had a sign above the door " assholes garage"

Joel
12-31-2016, 02:38 PM
It's a a bit tight inside and you will come out dirty...

wdtom44
12-31-2016, 03:04 PM
In reply to your "can you see a new shop here someday" I can see roof trusses over the two shipping containers roofing over that whole area. The lathe looks good.

garyhlucas
12-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Read the whole thread wondering if you got it. Had a guy on CL sell a piece of equipment I needed to do a job sell it, while I was on my way over to pick it up!

Now THAT is a lathe!

tmarks11
01-01-2017, 08:42 PM
That is quite the beast.

1-800miner
01-01-2017, 09:57 PM
In reply to your "can you see a new shop here someday" I can see roof trusses over the two shipping containers roofing over that whole area. The lathe looks good.

Quonset hut. Just moved the arch beams today. I am going to stand it on the inside walls of the seatrains. Should be 18' tall in the middle. With a third container at the back to form a U shape.

MattiJ
01-02-2017, 04:09 AM
Wish it would be that easy also here. Besides cold temperatures you have to spend 5 grand just for permissions. And if its anything bigger than 4sqft outhouse you probably need 1 feet thick concrete/rebar slab for flooring and roof designed for 20 tons of snow load :(

1-800miner
01-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Permission?
The county documented all the buildings that burned in the fire. (Over three hundred)
But when property tax time came they taxed us anyhow.
"Oh we forgot, just fill out these forms and pay this fee...."
They are taxing me on something I don't have, I am simply replacing it.