View Full Version : Identify this toolbit please :)

Thomas Staubo
12-22-2016, 05:27 AM
I haven't been active here for a while, been busy with other things ;)

But could anyone identify this toolbit for me? At first I thought it was HSS, but they are always ground to a shiny finish, aren't they?
So, is it a carbon steel tool bit??


Thomas Staubo
12-22-2016, 05:55 AM
Tried to spark test it, and it gave off orange-red sparks

12-22-2016, 07:01 AM
I'd guess it was 1/8" x 1" x 4" approximately.
But it could be a foot long???

12-22-2016, 08:13 AM
At first I thought it was HSS, but they are always ground to a shiny finish, aren't they?

HSS bits have been supplied in a wide variety of finishes over the years, and still are. My preference is ground to size, since they are within about 0.001" and can also be used as spacers and parallels, but I have a stock of assorted types and sizes in other finishes, such as rough ground (rather than ground to a near mirror finish, they are rather rough), and just plain rough unground.

ID by physical properties is your best bet. Spark test, grind to red and see if it is still grinding properly (hard at red heat), check hardness after cooling.

12-22-2016, 08:14 AM
I won't speak to current day's production, but HSS toolbits were furnished in unground condition.

Stick most of it in a potato and heat a small portion to red heat, allow to cool and see if you can cut it with a file.

Thomas Staubo
12-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Good advice on checking hardness after heating. I'll check it further.

It is 3/16" by 3/8" and 3" long. I have several of these.

I thought maybe someone recognised the logo and/or "vg" that is marked on it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

12-22-2016, 08:44 AM
For whatever it's worth, I have several toolbits (I think they are toolbits) I inherited from my father in law that came from the WWII era and look like that.
Haven't used any of them because I want to keep them.

12-22-2016, 09:37 AM
HSS wouldn't necessarily be ground. I have several Rex Crucible AA, and AAA bits which aren't ground, and they're some mighty good HSS.

Pictures can sure be misleading--that doesn't look like a 3/16" x 3/8" to me anyway. It just doesn't look like it's twice as wide as it is thick?


12-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Maybe 3/32 thick?

12-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Sure looks like a cut off blade. And yeah, I have plenty of new HSS bits that are black. Just not as smooth as yours. JR

12-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Hi Thomas,
Back in the 1960's 70's in the UK Osborn tools made HSS tools designated VG they were MUCH tougher than standard HSS tools and the finish was matt black. They seem not to be available now, they also used to supply drills designated T32, these had a similar finish, short flutes and were also very tough. Both types of tools were used on tougher than normal materials.
I might have some old tool catalogues with some info -- no g'tee but if I find any info I'll post it on here.

12-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Here are some square VG toolbits with a finish that looks like yours.