PDA

View Full Version : ER collet nuts

mattthemuppet
12-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

I made an ER25 collet Chuck for my Atlas 618 which I love to bits. I'm using a cheap collet nut and I sometimes have a problem getting the nut tight enough with small diameter steel stock. Has anyone used one of those ball bearing nuts? Do they lower the amount of effort to tighten the nut? I also found a tecniks powerCOAT nut http://www.techniksusa.com/metal/pwrctnt.htm that is supposed to be even better. About the same price too. Presumably better run out of either wouldn't hurt too!

Whatcha think?

Toolguy
12-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Looks good. Go for it!

enginuity
12-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Hey Matt,

Couldn't you just spray some teflon spray on the nut and get the same result as the powerCOAT?

I've never tried the ball bearing nuts. I do know that the quality of the nut is important.

Maritool doesn't use the bearing ones. Here is a thread on PM about them: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/anyone-using-ball-bearing-er-nuts-their-er-chucks-320892/

enl
12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
I haven't tried either of those nuts, but have found two things: cheap collets may bind as the nut draws up because they hang in the nut retaining groove so they are not pulling up on the taper as they should, and that a finger wipe of grease helps reduce the binding (I use a clear/white silicone grease because 1) it isn't effected by standard oils or lubricants and 2) it is handy)

The collet I had that bound up to where I couldn't use it became acceptable when I ran a diamond stick around the retainer groove a few times. This got rid of the burrs that were causing the bind, and it also centered better. I can tell the difference between the better ones and the cheap ones without looking, but given that I don't use them a lot, other than two good ones that only get used with a small milling spindle, I use what I have when I need them.

ammcoman2
12-22-2016, 06:47 PM
I have replaced all the ER16 andER25 nuts used in my shop with the ball bearing style from Arc Euro Trade: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Nuts-Wrenches-and-Spanners/ER-Collet-Nuts-with-Ball-Bearing-Type-B

They really do make it easier to get a good grip on the part and they are quite reasonable even with the shipping charge.

Geoff

mattthemuppet
12-22-2016, 09:23 PM
I do oil the threads but I never thought of oiling the short taper too. The thread on PM was interesting although their usage is quite a bit different from mine - didn't seem too conclusive one way or the other. The nut I have is one of those $5 ebay ones, does the job but I always wonder how accurate it is. Then again, I have a cheap'n'nasty collet set which doesn't help - I keep meaning to upgrade to a better set (DZ tools has a nice looking one for around $100) but never seem to get enough money together. I'll check the ones I have to make sure there aren't any burrs that could interfere with the nut. Thanks for all the tips!

thanks for the link Geoff, completely forgot to look there. You're right, comes out to $20 with the dollar as strong as it is (sucks for my UK retirement fund though), which is really rather reasonable. Might spring for one of those after the Christmas expenses are cleared.

_Paul_
12-22-2016, 10:47 PM
I have replaced all the ER16 andER25 nuts used in my shop with the ball bearing style from Arc Euro Trade: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Nuts-Wrenches-and-Spanners/ER-Collet-Nuts-with-Ball-Bearing-Type-B

They really do make it easier to get a good grip on the part and they are quite reasonable even with the shipping charge.

Geoff

+1 on the Arceurotrade nuts I have been using them for some years now, they are good quality, I bought three two to use and one as a spare... the spare remains unused.

Paul

mattthemuppet
12-23-2016, 10:28 PM
Woohoo! My eBay auctions sold for more than I expected so one of these is top of my list :)

Ed ke6bnl
12-23-2016, 10:35 PM

Geoff
I do have to admit the company has good communication, I wrote them on shipping to USA and they answered promptly. and I checked the shipping at least on the bearing nut and all was more than reasonable. Seems like a good company

Toolguy
12-24-2016, 09:19 AM
I have gotten good parts and service from them. I will continue to do business with them as needed.

mattthemuppet
12-24-2016, 06:45 PM
thanks for the feedback. I'll be getting one of them soon, hopefully splitting an order with another member to save on shipping :)

10KPete
12-24-2016, 07:02 PM
I bought a couple of the 32 size bearing nuts a few months ago. ARC is a great outfit and I combined those nuts with a couple of other thingies. Worked out very well!!

Pete