PDA

View Full Version : Atlas/Craftsman 12"

johnrgraves
12-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Will an AXA size quick change tool post fit my Atlas 12" lathe? Everything I've read says 12" is at the limit of an AXA, would a BXA work better? Hopefully you guys can help, I don't want to go through too many iterations changing out my tool post. Thanks.

dave_r
12-26-2016, 02:46 PM
That's really just a guideline.

The primary thing is the distance from the top of the compound, where the toolpost sits, to the centerline of the lathe. The size you select has to support holding the cutting tools at that offset.
The secondary thing is, after satisfying the primary thing, is does it support adapters that work with your existing tooling. Smaller toolposts don't easily working with larger tooling (you may have to make your own holder, or just not use the tooling).

adatesman
12-26-2016, 02:53 PM
IIRC I had a BXA on mine.

enl
12-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Will an AXA size quick change tool post fit my Atlas 12" lathe? Everything I've read says 12" is at the limit of an AXA, would a BXA work better? Hopefully you guys can help, I don't want to go through too many iterations changing out my tool post. Thanks.

The limit is based on the height difference between the top of the compound and the lathe axis, not the swing. Several sources list AXA as suitable for this lathe, and given that I use one a=on a 10" Atlas, and the 12" has a taller compound, I would guess that this is accurate. If too short, you can use a spacer to raise it.

The critical limit is the MINIMUM centerline to top of cross slide distance, which for an AXA is about 0.6", and without shimming, the max is about 1.75", and for BXA is 0.7" to 2.2" (according to SHARS http://www.shars.com/quick-change-tool-post-set-piston-type-100-axa ). Basicly, at the low end these come from the lowest a holder can be mounted (touching the top of the compound) and where the cutting edge falls for specific tools, and the highest it can be mounted (roughly, top of the holder flush with the top of the post0 and where the cutting edge falls. I would take the values from some suppliers with a grain of salt, as the cutoff holder for an AXA puts the business end about 7/8" above the bottom of the holder, so cutoff lower than that would require creativity.

JCHannum
12-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Aloris recommendation for Atlas 6", 10" & 12" lathes is the AXA. I would think AXA big for the 6", but not the 10" & 12" lathes.

Gary Paine
12-26-2016, 03:24 PM
I use my AXA on both my 10 and 12 inch Atlas lathes. There is only a few thousandths of difference in height to centerline from their compounds. You will want to put the AXA in your 4 jaw and turn the bottom quarter inch of it to round. That is needed for clearance because the top of the compound humps up a bit higher than the mounting surface for the toolpost and the square corners prevent rotation. You will also need to cut the T bolt down to fit your compound.

Baz
12-26-2016, 03:48 PM
If you are currently using a 4 way that will lift your tools already a bit say 1/4" above the top of the topslide so the QCTP holder will be about the same. If you have a few big tools you might want to check the size of the slot. But as enl said above if you are getting a set then the parting tool will be a bit more specific though you can cut the blade down of course.
I think an AXA will work but you will find they end up nearer the top if you don't have a spacer and minutely less rigid on the smaller post. Upside is the holders are cheaper. However I think the BXA is the correct size. If it turns out too big you can sell it on to anyone with a typical import 12".

1-800miner
12-26-2016, 03:49 PM
I bought the bxa for my atlas twelve and had to return it for the axa.

Frank K
12-26-2016, 04:20 PM
I have an AXA on my Atlas twelve. I didn't turn the bottom but milled a step along one side to clear the hump. Made a new t-nut, post and step washer for the top as well.

flylo
12-26-2016, 04:21 PM
On my 12" Craftsman Commercial I used the Phase II BXA but when I bought the WABECO D6000 it came with a tub of 40+ real Aloris BXA & a few CXA tool holders & it didn't even have that type tool post.

ndnchf
12-27-2016, 08:39 AM
I have a Phase II AXA on my 12" Atlas. It works great and is much more rigid than the original lantern post. I'm completely satisfied with it and extra tool holders are pretty inexpensive, about $12 each.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/ndnchf/Atlas%2012%20inch%20metal%20lathe/Atcrf_zpsxtg6lplz.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ndnchf/media/Atlas%2012%20inch%20metal%20lathe/Atcrf_zpsxtg6lplz.jpg.html)

johnrgraves
12-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Thank you all for your input, this really helps.