PDA

View Full Version : OT: Completely OT, NEW CAR RITUAL

Willy
01-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Hey who knows maybe these guys are onto something, after all they do build a lot of this stuff down there.
Next new car or truck I'm not taking any chances. I don't car what the dealer says I'll get in on the ritual right in the dealer's lot.
No sense tempting fate. Probably a lot more beneficial than the money I forked over for the dealer prep package where numerous bits either left the vehicle or worse. Like dropping a two piece drive shaft off a 3/4 PU truck two days after delivery.
Could be a helpful gesture as well for some with new Chinese tooling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZUxQbfurXM

mattthegamer463
01-06-2017, 11:45 AM
The car is already built. Waving a burning stick at it won't make it any better.

Rituals probably make the car's total lifetime performance worse, since you'd be inclined to be more careless since your car is "protected".

A.K. Boomer
01-06-2017, 11:51 AM
This was one of my all time favorites - just hunted it down.

This Doug guy is just amazing lol

https://youtu.be/Lu4wzVmzz30

pinstripe
01-06-2017, 12:26 PM
The car is already built. Waving a burning stick at it won't make it any better.

Neither will the "paint protection", but the dealer will still try to sell it to you :)

BCRider
01-06-2017, 12:33 PM
A guy I knew that was a car salesman once told me about a customer that came back every 3 years for a new car. He has personally sold three of them to this same person since the customer preferred to deal with the same person as much as possible. The trick was that they would bring along a hammer and that the sales person was to put a dent in a fairly well hidden spot. The customer would not leave until that was done and it was shown to them. That took away all their OCD concerns over putting that first dent in the new car and they could drive around happy that they had not put the first dent into their pristine car.

Alistair Hosie
01-06-2017, 12:46 PM
This very same-almost the same ceremony, where the local intellectuals borrow other peoples cars without the owners permission. then when finished for the evening wipe of all traces of fingerprints and then exactly as per Chinese with twigs bushes on the outside of the auto in question, then they introduce the interior to fire. and leave the rest to the clumsily spilled gasoline .So why does it come up here as something new to us. LOL the island of man had the correct idea for many years take these individuals out for a stroll in the prison yard and birch them. That is to say lash them pretty hard on the bum area with a cut of piece of freshly tangy birch branch. Oh wait I hear all you do-gooders cry what they need is love and it doesn't work anyway. It does work 100% on the isle of man it is never repeated ,unless you like your backside to look like a war zone .

Frank K
01-06-2017, 01:17 PM
A guy I knew that was a car salesman once told me about a customer that came back every 3 years for a new car. He has personally sold three of them to this same person since the customer preferred to deal with the same person as much as possible. The trick was that they would bring along a hammer and that the sales person was to put a dent in a fairly well hidden spot. The customer would not leave until that was done and it was shown to them. That took away all their OCD concerns over putting that first dent in the new car and they could drive around happy that they had not put the first dent into their pristine car.

And then when he came back 3 years later for another new car they knocked $2,000 off the trade in value because the car had a dent?

Jaakko Fagerlund
01-06-2017, 04:37 PM
That ritual is just about as useful as the elphant repellant powder that my neighbour spreads on the road. Though I haven't seen elephants ever....

JRouche
01-06-2017, 07:06 PM
My ritual is to drive it like I just stole it for a few miles. If she holds together then it might make it past the warranty period :) JR

Mcgyver
01-06-2017, 09:20 PM
That ritual is just about as useful as ......

....any other religious ceremony?

Arcane
01-06-2017, 09:43 PM
That ritual is just about as useful as the elphant repellant powder that my neighbour spreads on the road. Though I haven't seen elephants ever....

LOL! That gave me the best laugh I had all this year! Thanks!

flylo
01-07-2017, 07:40 AM
My ritual is to drive it like I just stole it for a few miles. If she holds together then it might make it past the warranty period :) JR

Years ago had a friend that bought a new early eighties Chevy truck & wanted to blow up the engine while under warranty because he found it had fallen off the truck while unloading & did a lot of damaged & no one told him till he was under it & say a lot of bondo, so he put a block on the gas pedal & went somewhere with his wife while it ran wide open, got back truck wasn't running so he thought it worked, ran out of gas & I think it was full when he started.

dave_r
01-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Years ago had a friend that bought a new early eighties Chevy truck & wanted to blow up the engine while under warranty because he found it had fallen off the truck while unloading & did a lot of damaged & no one told him till he was under it & say a lot of bondo, so he put a block on the gas pedal & went somewhere with his wife while it ran wide open, got back truck wasn't running so he thought it worked, ran out of gas & I think it was full when he started.

Can't do that anymore with newer vehicles, the computers would snitch on you..."So, why exactly did you have the engine at full throttle for 4hr 17 min while in neutral?"

Jaakko Fagerlund
01-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Can't do that anymore with newer vehicles, the computers would snitch on you..."So, why exactly did you have the engine at full throttle for 4hr 17 min while in neutral?"
Because it can do so? :)

john hobdeclipe
01-07-2017, 06:35 PM
LOL! That gave me the best laugh I had all this year! Thanks!

Ahh, but the year is not over yet.

JRouche
01-08-2017, 03:22 AM
Years ago had a friend that bought a new early eighties Chevy truck & wanted to blow up the engine while under warranty because .....

Yeah, I have had stupid friends also. Thankfully they are away and I am good to go. FYI: My drive it like it was stolen story was fabricated. I would never treat any car like that. My new one, old one or a borrowed one. Thats abusive towards machinery that I would never take part in. Childish.

I did accidentally peel two tires off a rental Jeep Cherokee. Nice truck over all. Saved our bacon coming back from Big Bear Mountain snow skiing. By the time we got to Pasadena the freeway was flooded. This Jeep and all wheel drive? It was a new 1994. Handled the rain and snow just fine.

Not so much the doughnuts I was doing in a small mud flat :) I paid for those tires. JR

P.S. I had a rental cause an older guy drove his 80's ford t-bird over my passenger side rear quarter panel of my parked car, I just happened to be sitting in, waiting for him to back out. We were both at the dry cleaners (wool pants, need dry cleaning). Sure as chit, he cuts it hard left and drove his front wheels over my fender.

Yeah, not a fender, but looks like one. It was a 1984 porsche carrera (SP?). I loved that lil car and it was wreck free up to that point. So he was very apologetic and I felt bad for him.

His insurance company picked up the fix for the car. And knowing the German car Mechanics it was going to take five days (for a three day fix). No sweat, they gave me an equivalent valued vehicle for use. That was the Jeep that surpassed all my expectations.

Anyway.. If you read this far into my gibberish then shame on you, not me :) JR