PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to Cabin Fever this weekend?

polaraligned
01-09-2017, 07:10 PM
If all goes well, I will be rolling in Friday at midday, and leaving Saturday in the later afternoon.
I have not gone since they were in the huge Toyota arena in York a number of years ago.

Is it worth going on Friday? or would I be better off getting there early Sat morning? I don't want to do 6 hours of driving in one day, so I plan an overnight stay one night.

ponderingjunkman
01-09-2017, 07:53 PM
No, nothing to see friday. The auction has nothing of interest, so no sense going - you won't want anything I have my eye on. Stay away, and don't bid against me!

90LX_Notch
01-09-2017, 08:03 PM
I plan to be there Saturday as long as the weather holds. I will be set up at the Model Engine Maker (MEM) table. It's a six hour round trip for me too.

-Bob

George Bulliss
01-09-2017, 08:04 PM
I'll be arriving Thursday night and setting up Friday morning. Fridays at the show used to be a good time to wander around and have a look at things, but they keep getting busier and last year our Friday sales far outpaced Sunday's. I'm now left with doing my wandering on Sunday, after all the good deals are gone and the exhibitors are packing up.

Stop by the Village Press booth near the entrance and say hello.

Beazld
01-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Me and a buddy are heading up Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday

Weston Bye
01-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Regrets... I had planned on going again this year, would have been my fourth consecutive - had even made my hotel reservations, but started feeling tired and unstable between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Had a scheduled annual physical so complained to the doctor, but no other obvious symptoms, so no immediate conclusions. Got the lab blood report back and turns out that I am anemic - too few red blood cells. Doc ordered another blood test a month from the last one - the day after Cabin Fever. Will proceed from there. I suspect some side effects still hanging on from radiation treatments for prostate cancer 20 months ago. Sorry to be missing Cabin Fever, but will save my strength for NAMES later, much closer to home.

duckman
01-09-2017, 09:55 PM
A friend and I will be moseying down on Thur. and stay till Sun. only 7 hours one way.

PStechPaul
01-10-2017, 01:09 AM
I plan to drive there and arrive about noon Saturday, about a two hour drive each way from the Baltimore area.. I'll probably be hanging around the MEM table and I may have my wobbler air engine on display with the DC generator and the proximity sensor that interfaces with my TigTach circuit that transmits RPM and dwell information via Bluetooth to my tablet or laptop.

Mostly I plan to check out the vendors and maybe buy some tooling and other stuff. Looks like weather will be OK.

Randolph
01-10-2017, 09:37 AM
I attended my first Cabin Fever Expo in 2007 and, except for going to NAMES in 2011, have been every year since. For me to attend it requires about 16 hours of driving, round trip, spending 4 nights in a strange bed, (as for many my age, my bowels tend to lock up when I am away from familiar facilities!) and sometimes dealing with weather conditions not usually found where I live in the sunny South. And it has been worth the effort and inconvenience every year! I have made many friends, met some great people, and have often been amazed at the capabilities of so-called "amateur" machinists.
I will not be attending this year and I will miss it. So --- to all of you who will be there, I hope you have a great time. I hope the weather will be nice. But don't expect the hot dogs from the food vendors to be any better than they were last year!

justanengineer
01-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Yup, me and the Mrs will be attending. Its ~5 hours drive for us each direction so likely get there Friday afternoon and leave Saturday around noon.

RichTes
01-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Is Friday afternoon only the auction or is the rest of the show set up? The rest of the weekend is out (kids birthdays)

Thanks,
Rich

George Bulliss
01-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Friday used to be only the auction, but there seems to have been more selling and general show attendees showing up the last few years. There may be a few vendors still setting up and maybe not all exhibitors will be there yet, but I would guess by afternoon it's at least 85-90% there. Less crowds to fight too.

shpxnvz
01-11-2017, 09:20 PM
I'm new here, and to machining in general, but am planning on bringing my 8 yr. old daughter with me to spend the day Friday (only day we can make it). If any of the regulars have tips for a first time visitor I'd be very appreciative.

polaraligned
01-12-2017, 05:33 AM
If any of the regulars have tips for a first time visitor I'd be very appreciative.

I have not been there in 4 or 5 years, but I will have my 8 and 11 year old sons with me on Friday afternoon and Saturday.
Only tip I have, is enjoy it. Really nothing else to know. :)

PStechPaul
01-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Just be aware that there are multiple rooms and buildings, so be sure you don't overlook anything.

Errol Groff
01-12-2017, 03:42 PM
We are getting ready now and will leave in the morning (Friday). This is the first "away" trip since I had the stroke last March so it should be interesting. We plan to return to CT on Monday but that is not carved in stone. So, if you see a guy struggling with his camera, one handed, be sure to say Hi.

Errol Groff

Stu
01-12-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm new here, and to machining in general, but am planning on bringing my 8 yr. old daughter with me to spend the day Friday (only day we can make it). If any of the regulars have tips for a first time visitor I'd be very appreciative.

I would plan to arrive a little later in the day to let some of the exhibits time to setup. I'm an hour away and will be there Fri and Sat. Stu