PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Drawbar Project (with video)

enginuity
01-25-2017, 11:31 PM
I have been meaning to make a drawbar for the lathe for awhile now. I have a job I need to do some milling / drilling / boring using the lathe spindle so I decided to get it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUlzYUauDc

https://youtu.be/AVUlzYUauDc

I made the drawbar portion itself out of some mystery metal (something I don't usually do) that I had laying around in the shop. It was Friday evening and I had a lapse of judgement so I went ahead with it. After getting through the tougher than nails top surface, with burns on my left arm as reminders to the hot chips, the material turned well and left a decent finish.

I've posted it on my blog as well. https://thecogwheel.net/2017/01/25/lathe-drawbar/

I also recently purchased an ER20 MT4 collet chuck for $40. I need to make an adapter yet to put this in the lathe, but I stuck it in and dial indicated it and was pleasantly surprised that spindle run-out was .0002 or so. I have a .0005" indicator so it's hard to exactly tell how much run-out there is.

pinstripe
01-26-2017, 04:29 AM
I watched this last night. A little suggestion... I find it difficult to hear/understand you over the background music at times. I think it would be better if the background track was lower, or even removed. Apart from that, I like how you edit your videos.

Black Forest
01-26-2017, 04:51 AM
I watched this last night. A little suggestion... I find it difficult to hear/understand you over the background music at times. I think it would be better if the background track was lower, or even removed. Apart from that, I like how you edit your videos.

I turned off the video after 15 seconds because of the music. It was like finger nails on a blackboard.

Lew Hartswick
01-26-2017, 07:40 AM
I turned off the video after 15 seconds because of the music. It was like finger nails on a blackboard.
:-) I checked just to see and YEP! That is a good way to insure I don't watch a video. A godawfull racket . Why is it every one with a good idea to share seems to think they are a Hollywood producer. Oh and aimed at the current generation? :-(
...lew...

Tony
01-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Music is always a fine line.
I get the technical-video-doesn't-need-music thing but, sometimes, music-less can come off as very flat and boring.

(not the good kind of "flat" and "boring" you might be used to here :p )

it's so dependent on audience, music selected (and volume I suppose) that it's difficult to make everyone happy.

I say all this without having actually seen the video just yet. . but generally speaking.

For example, I wonder what it is about those old (WW2 era?) technical videos.. with the loud
army marching band music.. that keeps them watchable? Nostalgia? all around cultural kitsch at this point?

Or those training videos from the 50's and 60's with the TV big band music.

I'm rambling.

Fine line, as I said.

BCRider
01-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Since we're talking about the music.....

I found the intro music was really raucous and loud. But it WAS just the intro music. Once into the project explanation things were fine. And the fairly low key technopop music for the time lapse part was fine for style and volume. Quite "elevator" like in fact. But I have to agree with the others that found keeping the music on while you talked over the time lapse portion made it hard to understand you. It would be better to fade the music way down or even off during those speaking portions.

Other than this music and voice niggle it was a fine production with good pacing and nice camera positioning. Quite "Tony like" in fact.

To avoid folks diving for their volume control during the intro it might be worth toning down the level though. The bass beat in particular just about made the screen on my monitor start rippling from the audio energy.

mars-red
01-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Great work Justin, keep it up! I thoroughly enjoyed the video.

As has already been said, music is subjective. For example, I dig it so hard that somebody's going to have to get me a shovel. In fact I've now gone out of my way to find more music by that artist. :) I'm sure every creator has their own motivations for creating videos, but I think the best videos are made by people who make them for themselves just as much as other people... creators who would rather fail to make a fun, interesting video than succeed at making a dull one. Just as it's easy for someone to be critical of a creator's choice of music, so is it easy for a creator to be critical of someone's choice not to view their video.

As a creator, you quickly learn not to take negative feedback personally, you just need to be clear in your own mind where the boundaries are between your intent of expression and technical details that could be improved.

I think it would be great for more of us to get into making videos. For anyone who has thought about it, even just a little... give it a try! :)

MattiJ
01-26-2017, 03:56 PM
I have been meaning to make a drawbar for the lathe for awhile now. I have a job I need to do some milling / drilling / boring using the lathe spindle so I decided to get it done.

What is the goop you are using as a cutting lubricant?

QSIMDO
01-26-2017, 04:04 PM
enginuity, do you have any trouble getting the MT4 adapter out?

I have a set of MT4 collets and can't (won't) use them.
I tried a few but they get stuck so hard I had to beat them out and I won't do that!

BCRider
01-26-2017, 04:35 PM

I tried a few but they get stuck so hard I had to beat them out and I won't do that!

When I had my old mill/drill with the MT3 spindle I rapidly learned to just give the tooling a light pinch on the drawbar. That way it took only a firm tap to knock them loose instead of a hard knock. MT4 would be similar. As such if the drawbar were set up with a roughly 3 inch hand wheel to use for tightening instead of using a wrench that would be just about perfect. And even then it would not require a "white knuckle death twist" to tighten well enough to work but so that it only needs a similar firm tap to bump loose.

enginuity
01-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and dislike - and for taking the time to post it here!

Some background on where I'm coming from - I've been thoroughly warped by the Clarkson - Wilman Top Gear. In fact the Clarkson - Wilman Top Gear shows are pretty much the only show I watch on standard TV besides a few standard traditional documentaries (such as Frontiers of Flight - a wonderful PBS production found on Youtube) and Moon Machines among others. And by standard TV - I don't have cable or dish, I just buy the shows on DVD or watch them on Youtube.

Top Gear made an automotive show applicable to a much wider audience though wit, amazing camera work, and wonderful presentation (something Tony has mastered, and I'm just trying). It's a car show, that in my opinion, is largely responsible for a renewed interest in automobiles for the younger generation, and in general.

Now I know I don't even approach .001 % of what Top Gear does.

The younger generation, and even the older ones, need to see that working with your hands and machining, is fun, interesting, fulfilling, and a wonderful way to share your skill in a tangible way with others. It's also a way to get people off the other nasty, and sometimes downright evil, distractions in our society. Idle hands are the tool and all that. I have a number of people I know and work with who are younger and are tragically addicted to various substances and other habits that consume them because many times they never learned the benefits of working with your hands.

So if my videos help younger folks 'get things done' in the shop in an interesting, and sometimes abrasive (no pun intended :) ) manner I'm a happy person, really more than happy I'm ecstatic. Hence the name - thecogwheel. I just want to be a gear to move others in a positive way forward. I'm not really a craftsman, or a highly skilled trades person, or a movie producer, I'm just some guy hoping to push others forward.

And sometimes the music will drive you nuts, I'm sorry. It's a product of my generation. I like electronic type music among a lot of other things including classical, baroque - probably my favorite - but it has a really limited appeal in the machining world. Gustav Holst is by far one of my favorite composers. I was picking music for the intro and I had 2 pieces selected and I wasn't sure, so I let my 5 year old son make the decision.

Regarding the audio balance - I've got that fixed already in the next video I'm working on. Thanks for pointing it out. I've watched the video with a set of headphones and I thought it was acceptable, but I need to be mindful of other speaker setups.

sasquatch
01-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the video, enjoyed it.

gambler
01-26-2017, 06:56 PM
I liked it.:)

enginuity
01-26-2017, 08:23 PM
What is the goop you are using as a cutting lubricant?

It's bacon grease. I've posted a fair bit on it over the last while - check it out. Lard works as well and usually has less salt. Solid at room temp - quickly changes to liquid. Just don't use it for stuff like knurling - that requires a full liquid to help wash the chips out.

enginuity
01-26-2017, 08:29 PM

My biggest gripe with MT is the force required to get them out. BCRider is absolutely right - you have to be very light when tightening them in - like cut all the handles off your wrenches. I would prefer a 5C collet chuck (one of those large ones out front like Stefan reviewed) for the lathe - but they are fairly pricey. 5C is probably the best though as collets are inexpensive and you can get them in square, hex, round, emergency etc.

The other route besides MT is ER, which is another very viable option - less the square, hexagon and emergency collets. But ER is great for holding tools as well - something 5C isn't so good at. Plus ER has a much larger grip range which means a lot less collets.

I wanted the MT setup because I have a bunch of MT tooling. I'm going to be adding ER to it as well. I'm a big fan of ER even taking the minuses into account.

BCRider
01-26-2017, 09:14 PM
It was listening to "The Planets" by Holst while working on my race car back in the mid 1970's that brought flower to my hidden interest in classical music. It's still one of my favorites. Each movement is like a journey of it's own.

I fully understand that the music won't appeal to all. It's the uber powerful bass beat that catches my hearing off guard when it comes out at levels suited to vibrating my Cognac snifter across the desk that I object to.... :)

Either way though it won't make me turn off your videos. You're doing a great job of doing exactly what you want to accomplish. The videos are reasonably short enough to reach the ADD crowd yet long enough to fill in the details. It's a hard balance to catch just right but I think you're doing quite well.

QSIMDO
01-26-2017, 10:32 PM
When I had my old mill/drill with the MT3 spindle I rapidly learned to just give the tooling a light pinch on the drawbar. That way it took only a firm tap to knock them loose instead of a hard knock. MT4 would be similar. As such if the drawbar were set up with a roughly 3 inch hand wheel to use for tightening instead of using a wrench that would be just about perfect. And even then it would not require a "white knuckle death twist" to tighten well enough to work but so that it only needs a similar firm tap to bump loose.

I'm not happy with mine at all, that's why I made a ER40 adapter.
Unfortunately screwed that up and have to start over but I do have a hand wheel on the drawbar and it just won't
pull up tight enough.
When it does, won't come out.
I'll blue it one day and see how it prints.

Lew Hartswick
01-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Just don't use it for stuff like knurling - that requires a full liquid to help wash the chips out.
Unless it "Cut Knurling", there shouldn't be any chips.
...lew...

MattiJ
01-27-2017, 08:27 AM
It's bacon grease. I've posted a fair bit on it over the last while - check it out. Lard works as well and usually has less salt. Solid at room temp - quickly changes to liquid. Just don't use it for stuff like knurling - that requires a full liquid to help wash the chips out.

Thats what I was thinking, was just too blind to find the information on my own. Have been using olive oil or canola by myself and lard is on the shopping list.

pinstripe
01-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Regarding the audio balance - I've got that fixed already in the next video I'm working on. Thanks for pointing it out. I've watched the video with a set of headphones and I thought it was acceptable, but I need to be mindful of other speaker setups.

Apart from different speaker setups, there is one other reason to be conservative when mixing in music. Tom Lipton says in his book "The majority of the old timers I have met are half deaf..."

Even though you are targeting a younger audience, some of the old guys might want to watch too :)

mars-red
01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Thats what I was thinking, was just too blind to find the information on my own. Have been using olive oil or canola by myself and lard is on the shopping list.
I've been known to use vegetable shortening from time to time, and found it works pretty well. My wife doesn't like having bacon in the house (turkey bacon is not bacon! Lol) so bacon fat isn't a good option for me. Unfortunately.

cameron
01-27-2017, 10:33 AM
I don't watch videos because my connection is too slow. But if you put baroque music in your next video, enginuity, I promise I'll make a special trip to the library to see it:).