PDA

View Full Version : Trip to western US

wtrueman
01-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Hi all, a buddy and me are heading south from Leftbridge, Alberta, on an about two week cruise to various things on the way and then coming back somewhere off I five. I want to go to at least one car auction but also want to go to the Edelbrock(sp?) factory in Hemet and the Peterson car museum to see their cars. What else do any of you good guys think would be to visit besides the wineries? Thanks for your time, Wayne.

MattiJ
01-26-2017, 03:26 AM
Hi all, a buddy and me are heading south from Leftbridge, Alberta, on an about two week cruise to various things on the way and then coming back somewhere off I five. I want to go to at least one car auction but also want to go to the Edelbrock(sp?) factory in Hemet and the Peterson car museum to see their cars. What else do any of you good guys think would be to visit besides the wineries? Thanks for your time, Wayne.

If Vegas is along your way the Carrol Shelby museum is not bad. Worth every penny, no wait a minute it was free ;)

Machine
01-26-2017, 07:13 AM
When you say "cruise", do you mean a cruise ship leaving the west coast of Canada and sailing south, stopping at various locations along the coastline? Or do you mean a river cruise of some type? Recommending places to go is pretty dependent on that information. Also, how much time you have in each port of call, whether you have a rental car etc is also important to know.

wtrueman
01-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Hi all: just driving. Thanks, Wayne.

gmax137
01-26-2017, 10:14 AM
The vintage motorcycle museum in Solvang, CA is nice if you're in that area and have interest in bikes. Lots of racing bikes. Not too far from Santa Barbara, Solvang itself is a kind of weird but interesting place anyway.

Call ahead to make sure the museum is open.

mklotz
01-26-2017, 10:49 AM
If you enjoy vintage, classic cars the Nethercutt collection...

http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/

in Sylmar, CA is a nice complement to the Petersen museum. IMO, they're both "must sees" for the auto aficionado.

Stepside
01-26-2017, 10:53 AM
If you are driving I5 through Washington, there is the automotive museum in Tacoma. It is just off the Freeway by the Tacoma Dome.
arlsbad California there is the miniature machine museum put together by Sherline.

wtrueman
01-26-2017, 11:13 PM
Hi all, keep it up! This is good! Thanks, Wayne.

interrupted_cut
01-26-2017, 11:51 PM
Evergreen Aviation Collection, McMinnville OR
Justice Brothers Museum, Duarte CA
Edelbrock Collection, Torrance CA
Battleship USS Iowa, San Pedro CA
NHRA Museum, Pomona CA
Orange Empire Railway Museum, Perris CA
March Field Air Museum, Riverside CA
Vista Antique Gas and Steam Museum, Vista CA
Reuben Fleet Air and Space Museum, San Diego CA
USS Midway Museum, San Diego CA

interrupted_cut
01-27-2017, 12:09 AM
And I almost forgot what may be the most amazing:
Joe Martin Foundation Museum of Craftsmanship, Carlsbad CA

lakeside53
01-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Stop in at Boeing in Everett WA and tour the 747/787/777 plant...

mattthemuppet
01-27-2017, 12:33 AM
ditto ^. They have a neat museum too, including an old belt driven machine shop display.

wtrueman
01-27-2017, 01:29 AM
Looks pretty good for two or more weeks. Thanks all. Any more? We won't be leaving Canada until about Feb. 20. Again, any more?, Wayne.

Evan
01-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Too bad it isn't just a little later in the year. The Oregon coast is beautiful and there are many neat things to see along the way. Same with the redwoods in the vicinity of Eureka in California. If you are into storm wave action this is a good time for the coast. You can duck out to the coast and Eureka at Redding if heading north and then duck back to I-5 at Reedsport on the Oregon coast or just a little farther up to Florence on the coast to Eugene on I-5 . Well worth a side trip, been down that way more than once.

lakeside53
01-27-2017, 01:33 AM
ditto ^. They have a neat museum too, including an old belt driven machine shop display.

Yes. South of Seattle at the museum of flight, Boeing Field.

elf
01-27-2017, 03:56 AM
Yes. South of Seattle at the museum of flight, Boeing Field.

+++++

CarlByrns
01-27-2017, 07:34 AM
If you're anywhere near Las Vegas, check out Hoover Dam. Beyond impressive.

Jim Williams
01-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Go West to the highway that is close to the ocean in Oregon. The driving will be slower than the interstate, but It will be worth the delay. I thought that the Oregon coast was the most beautiful scenery that I had ever viewed. Go to the San Francisco docks to get seafood.

Jim

MattiJ
01-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Go West to the highway that is close to the ocean in Oregon. The driving will be slower than the interstate, but It will be worth the delay. I thought that the Oregon coast was the most beautiful scenery that I had ever viewed. Go to the San Francisco docks to get seafood.

Jim

US 101 along the Oregon?

It was on our original roadtripping plan couple of years ago but decided to skip it after all. Drove entire hw1 along CA coastline and it was nothing short of spectacular.
Damn, really want to make that again some day, so many things still left to see..
(bit over 5000 miles trip LA-SF-Fresno-Yosemite-SF-Yellowstone-Grand Canyon-Vegas-Death Valley-Sequoia park-LA)

MikeL46
01-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Auto museums:

- the LeMay Museum in Tacoma is worth a visit
- as mentioned, the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar and the NHRA Museum
- Marconi Museum in Tustin
- Auto Driving Museum in El Segundo

All the above are amazing. High dollar cars (and more) at the Nethercutt. Broad selection of cars at the Auto Driving Museum. The Marconi has a good selection of Ferraris and muscle cars you can actually get up close to, even touch.

Mike

Evan
01-27-2017, 05:32 PM
If I could I would visit the Oregon coast again in a heartbeat. Now I have much better cameras and could take far more pictures. It was a blast the last time I was there. My son and I got heavy into flying stunt kites in formation on the beaches there. Perfect low to medium breeze off the ocean. But that was in the summer. This time of year you take your chances on the weather.

aostling
01-27-2017, 06:53 PM
On the last day of your tour of the West, visit Butte, Montana https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte,_Montana. I lived there from 1978-82, renting this house at 358 E. Mercury Street https://goo.gl/maps/UaGZ1yLGv2w, them later this house at 919 W. Mercury Street https://goo.gl/maps/jGFbWdqK7k72. My job as an engineering analyst at MERDI was in the old hospital at Mercury & Idaho Streets -- https://goo.gl/maps/TAJptx91a552.

When I was there underground mining had ceased, but the oldtimers were still living, and could tell you some wild tales. Evel Kneivel lived in his fancy house down on the Flats. Dirty Mouth Jean Sorensen still ran the Stockman Bar, until she was finally sent to prison for shooting two guys who came in off the Greyhound bus and ordered some beers. You can read about her in this museum: http://www.butteamerica.com/dumas.htm. I don't remember that place as a museum.

The Mining Museum has lots of great machinery. Be sure to stop at Pork Chop John's for a pork chop sandwich, or if you are hungry at 2 a.m. get some chop suey at the Pekin Noodle Parlor (open until 3 a.m.).

It is a five-hour drive from Butte to your home in Lethbridge. You will arrive having seen the wildest of the Wild West.

Forestgnome
01-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Yosemite!

MattiJ
01-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Yosemite!

Kings Canyon NP was much more to my liking, Yosemite is so crowded (well maybbe not this time of year)
Same with Grand Canyon, the northern rim was just perfect without too much crowd. :o

wtrueman
01-27-2017, 11:20 PM
Holycow, this has been a formidable amount of info. So much to go on, so little time. Many thanks, Wayne.

Lee Cordochorea
01-27-2017, 11:23 PM
Too bad it isn't just a little later in the year. The Oregon coast is beautiful and there are many neat things to see along the way. Same with the redwoods in the vicinity of Eureka in California. If you are into storm wave action this is a good time for the coast. You can duck out to the coast and Eureka at Redding if heading north and then duck back to I-5 at Reedsport on the Oregon coast or just a little farther up to Florence on the coast to Eugene on I-5 . Well worth a side trip, been down that way more than once.

The Tillamook Air Museum could be included if one waits until Highway 6 to duck back inland. either way one could peek inside OMSI in Portland to see the WWII submarine and the big steam turbine and all the fun mechanical toys for kids of all ages.

Evan
01-27-2017, 11:23 PM
On the last day of your tour of the West, visit Butte, Montana ...

Montana is a very nice state. My Danish cousin lives there and owns the Kicking Ass Ranch. He is nearly the same age as I am and we have been the best of friends all our lives. He still keeps a few animals, in particular a donkey and some horses. The pics he sends me are uniformly beautiful. I wish I could visit but I don't even have a passport which is now a requirement. It is also just too far for me to drive because of my narcolepsy and the altitude is too high for me to breath correctly. Very unfortunately I am now very limited where I can travel.

Lee's post reminds me to mention one of the best things about going up the coast is (or used to be) outstanding seafood restaurants.

aostling
01-28-2017, 09:16 AM
... I wish I could visit but I don't even have a passport which is now a requirement.

Can you get a passport? It would be nice if you could visit the Oregon Coast. There are lots of campgrounds there.

EddyCurr
01-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Stop in at Boeing I heard that the Boeing Surplus operation was shut down, perhaps ten years ago?

Didn't make it there myself, but I still have the remainders of items gifted to me by others who made a point of visiting at every opportunity.

larry_g
01-28-2017, 04:27 PM
https://www.californiarailroad.museum/

http://www.californiaagmuseum.org/

The above two I enjoy The following is on my list but haven't made it yet

http://www.worldofspeed.org/

lg
no neat sig line

Evan
01-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Can you get a passport? It would be nice if you could visit the Oregon Coast. There are lots of campgrounds there.

Because of my narcolepsy even with modafinil driving long distances is a risk I would rather not take if I can avoid it. Just to drive down here I took double doses and that makes me feel pretty crappy. It raises my heart rate too much. I normally take 1/4 dose and that is just enough to prevent me from blinking and my eyes staying closed. That happened back about 15 years ago and I nearly died running in to a cliff wall at a sharp turn. When that happens I immediately go into a form of dreaming called "Hypnagogic Hallucinations", well known to happen with narcolepsy. It is a form of dreaming that makes it seem like your eyes are still open and you are not at all asleep. I usually will at first see whatever I last saw for maybe 5 to 10 seconds. Pure luck I was alerted by a logging truck passing by me in the opposite direction and I had just seconds to slow down enough.

It is a very strange type of dreaming and is also when I get some of my best ideas, just before I actually do fall asleep. With narcolepsy the entire sleep cycle is totally unsynchronized. Fortunately I have the non-cataplexy type so I do not fall into sleep paralysis.

Ever since that event I knew something was wrong but narcolepsy is commonly misdiagnosed by doctors. In Canada the time between apparent symptoms to correct diagnosis is about 18 years. That means that most people are never diagnosed.

dave_r
01-29-2017, 02:13 AM
Check the "Christian" checkbox. You get waved through...

Evan
01-29-2017, 05:00 AM
You are joking, right?

dave_r
01-29-2017, 05:26 AM
No. It's a simple way to prove you aren't a terrorist.

RichR
01-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Check the "Christian" checkbox. You get waved through...

You are joking, right?

No. It's a simple way to prove you aren't a terrorist.

That's very clever Dave. Throw out a couple of verbal hand grenades to see if you can bait someone into arguing about
a topic not allowed on this forum. Oh, you are the master Dave. Yes, the master at baiting others. Well done.