PDA

View Full Version : MSC: "A single user account can only be used on one computer at a time."

cmantunes
01-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Rant here.

Trying to place an order on MSC. Yesterday I was on my laptop adding some items to my shopping cart. This morning I go to my desktop and try to login. I get a "A single user account can only be used on one computer at a time." Well, this is retarded. I go to my laptop and logout and come back to my desktop. Try to login. What do I get? "A single user account can only be used on one computer at a time." WTF! I know of no other eCommerce site that has this "feature." The incompetence boggles the mind!

Euph0ny
01-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Most online (shopping) sites benefit from being browsed in incognito / private mode. Give it a try.

Jaakko Fagerlund
01-27-2017, 11:18 AM
If you think that's retarded, wait until you stumble upon an ecommerce site that is "only open from 07:00 to 18:00". And I'm not kidding.

cmantunes
01-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Most online (shopping) sites benefit from being browsed in incognito / private mode. Give it a try.

True, but I wanted to place an order!

cmantunes
01-27-2017, 12:00 PM
If you think that's retarded, wait until you stumble upon an ecommerce site that is "only open from 07:00 to 18:00". And I'm not kidding.

LOL! Yeah, that takes the cake.

Mike Amick
01-27-2017, 12:27 PM
cmantunes, I'm thinking that's not really all that crazy. I suspect that your log-OFF failed and that
you were still logged on when you tried to access your account from another computer.

It might even have been a case where the system glitched and falsely reported you logged off.

If your account saves your cc info etc, you really don't want someone getting a hold of your account and
passing it around to all his friends. So the system alarms when two people are trying to use the account
at the same time.

Makes sense if you think about it.

Paul Alciatore
01-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Makes sense if I think about it? I did think. Sooner or later I will log off. In my case, I turn off all my computers at the end of each day (2-3 AM). And I do not shop on any given site very often so I will not log on again for days or even weeks. For far less than one percent of the time this "feature" would be in effect. So just how much protection does it provide? I say very little.

I bet they lost a bunch on a large order and some muddled brain manager decided this was the answer.

Mike Amick
01-27-2017, 12:44 PM
You do know that turning off your computer doesn't log you off right ?

And yes .. the system should have a timer on it auto logging you off. I am just saying
their shopping cart software may be a little glitchy.

Edit: or how about this. Someone already has your account info and you tried logging on
while that person was on. All kinds of reasons, silly to get super frustrated over it.

Joe_B
01-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Face it, they just don't want your business.

cmantunes
01-27-2017, 02:04 PM
cmantunes, I'm thinking that's not really all that crazy. [...]
If your account saves your cc info etc, you really don't want someone getting a hold of your account and
passing it around to all his friends. So the system alarms when two people are trying to use the account
at the same time.

I think it has the opposite effect. If I were to logon on a public computer (something I would never do, btw) and then forgot to logoff, I would want the system to log me off automatically instead of keeping my account "open" on the public computer.

QSIMDO
01-27-2017, 02:14 PM
From what I understand it's to protect you.
You're on your computer snooping through the site and suddenly another comes online and tries to get in with your ID.
I'm cool with them blocking access.

If you logged off on one computer you have to clear all the crumbs out of your history (I use CCleaner ) so that it doesn't think you're still there.

Mike Amick
01-27-2017, 05:39 PM
I think it has the opposite effect. If I were to logon on a public computer (something I would never do, btw) and then forgot to logoff, I would want the system to log me off automatically instead of keeping my account "open" on the public computer.

ahhh hey .. I agree with you 100 % ... I was just making the point that the logic in not letting two people on
at the same time is a good one.

You are a 1000 % right that the system SHOULD auto log you out, every properly operating one does.

They should fix their system. Maybe you email them and tell them about it.

cmantunes
01-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Maybe you email them and tell them about it.

Every now and then they call me asking me why I'm not buying as much from them as I used to from Enco. If in the mood, I'll let them know then.

Puckdropper
01-28-2017, 04:25 AM
From what I understand it's to protect you.
You're on your computer snooping through the site and suddenly another comes online and tries to get in with your ID.
I'm cool with them blocking access.

If you logged off on one computer you have to clear all the crumbs out of your history (I use CCleaner ) so that it doesn't think you're still there.

Just the other day, I had my mail open on both my phone and computer. I needed to upload photos from my phone but finish typing on the computer. If it had prevented access, it would have been much more work.

I've done it with sites like Amazon, too, where I start on the phone and finish up on the computer.

QSIMDO
01-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Duped again.
:(

CCWKen
01-28-2017, 10:17 AM
I like sites that give the option to stay signed in or that "remember me". This forum is one of them. Amazon, Ebay and PayPal are others that keep me signed in. I look at it as a security feature as well as a convenience since it's linked to this machine and I don't have to pull out my password folder and sign in each time. (Who can remember all the user names and passwords?) If someone tries to sign in with my user name, it'll respond that I'm already signed in and lock the attempt out on the better sites. And I have pretty good PC security set up as well.

As a reminder to all:
Turn off Flash Player for all but trusted sites.
Do not install Java.
Keep your OS and software up to date from OEM sites.
Do not use Auto Play for all media devices.

Glug
01-28-2017, 10:43 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned the more obvious reason -

MSC prices are outrageous - unless your account gets a discount. This is probably to restrict the sharing of accounts.

There could also be technical reasons due to the way they have implemented their shopping cart system, etc.

softtail
01-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Every now and then they call me asking me why I'm not buying as much from them as I used to from Enco. If in the mood, I'll let them know then.
Funny. I ordered tons from Enco and not a thing since from MSC and I haven't heard jack from them.

ncjeeper
01-28-2017, 01:42 PM
Funny. I ordered tons from Enco and not a thing since from MSC and I haven't heard jack from them.
They have called me twice. I just let them record their message and then hit delete.