PDA

View Full Version : Amazing, beautiful, relaxing video for the true craftsman in you. Enjoy!

DATo
02-11-2017, 02:59 AM
I took my tax stuff in yesterday afternoon and my accountant, who is also a dear friend, began asking me about my home shop and the business I used to run. She then told me about her Ex who she remains close to as a friend, and sent me a video about his shop and work. I just watched this video and knew immediately that you guys would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Ly6pUQdAE

The man who works with his hands is a laborer.
The man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.
But the man who works with his hands, his brain, and his heart is an artist.

MichaelP
02-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Very good video. Thank you.

Does anybody know what adhesive and accelerator he uses? I've never used such combo, but a few days ago I had an opportunity to see a German product like this.

A.K. Boomer
02-11-2017, 11:59 AM
That was cool thanks for posting - some beautiful work for sure.

Willy
02-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Another thanks for posting. Absolutely stunning craftsmanship. The man definitely knows the medium he's working with.

BCRider
02-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Very good video. Thank you.

Does anybody know what adhesive and accelerator he uses? I've never used such combo, but a few days ago I had an opportunity to see a German product like this.

He said right in the video that it was CA glue. From my model airplane building I can see that he's using a thicker "gap filling" version that doesn't run. From the look of the dispenser bottle he used he's buying it in larger bulk containers and dispensing it into a handier to use bottle.

Pretty much all the companies that sell CA also sell a companion accelerator. I don't know which brand name is signified by the white and blue can. But the larger size of the can and the lot number information on it suggests a more commercial line such as Loctite's industrial adhesive lineup. The size of that can of accelerator would also support the idea that he buys his CA glue in larger containers such as would come in that sort of line.

For the most part CA is CA and the accelerator is pretty standard as well. If you only want a little of it you can find the thicker formula and the accelerator in smaller size pump spray bottles at any hobby shop and probably most hardware stores.

MichaelP
02-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Thank you BCRider.

Yes, I understand this is a CA glue. However, CA glues are not equal. Setting time and, as you mentioned, consistency vary greatly. My question was about this particular glue or similar ones: their names is what I want to know. They must allow ample working time (unlike Crazy Glue or other instant bond CAs) and proper consistency.

But thank you anyway.

Mike

Frank Ford
02-11-2017, 12:50 PM
The man definitely knows the medium he's working with.

But, he certainly could use some pointers on band saw safety - sheesh!

Cuttings
02-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Great video, Thank you
I even had my wife looking over my shoulder, she is an artist of a different sort.
We have a house full of beautiful paintings.

plastikosmd
02-11-2017, 01:45 PM
I was more curious about the 'super glue' that he applies with the bottle and smooths with his finger? My experience w super glue and fingers does not mirror his experience

MichaelP
02-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I was more curious about the 'super glue' that he applies with the bottle and smooths with his finger? My experience w super glue and fingers does not mirror his experience

True. I noticed it too.

DATo
02-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Glad you guys liked it.

Here is his website address. I was surprised by how much he got for these bowls, but after a bit of reflection .... I wasn't.

http://www.jimmcphail.com/

MichaelP
02-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Great. Thank you DATo. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Mr.McFail.

darryl
02-11-2017, 05:42 PM
There is a product called 2P-10 by FastCap that we use that will do that. Great stuff. Cheap too when to figure in the quantity you can get if you compare it to buying CA in little tubes.

MichaelP
02-11-2017, 06:25 PM
I'll check on it. Thank you for the pointer, Darryl.

JoeLee
02-11-2017, 06:58 PM
That was great, thanks for posting it.

I would like to know where he gets all his exotic wood from????

Also that watered down super glue that he spread over the bowl while it was spinning. It makes like a plastic film finish.

I didn't see him use any Elmers wood working glue. Also did he have different colored glues??

Side note........... I wonder if he wears a dust mask when not on camera. Breathing in the dust from some of those hard woods is not healthy.

JL..............

A.K. Boomer
02-11-2017, 07:11 PM

Yeah same here - stuff seems to glue everything you don't want it too...

how would you like to have it glue your finger to the bowl while the bowl is turning lol

I thought he stated he was making the bowls small so people could afford them? makes you wonder what a regular size one would cost :eek:

lugnut
02-11-2017, 07:20 PM
When I checked out his web page there was a listing for the adhesives :
CA Adhesive
The Sanding Glove
Comprehensive sanding supplies
Stick Fast Brand CA
CA activator in 12 oz. aerosol cans.
Bruce Hoover, owner
(Major credit cards accepted)
www.thesandingglove.com

Paul Alciatore
02-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Great video. I loved it. Thanks for posting.

elf
02-12-2017, 05:36 AM
I thought he stated he was making the bowls small so people could afford them? makes you wonder what a regular size one would cost :eek:

Here's some at the opposite end of the scale: http://www.vernonleibrant.com/wooden-bowls-gallery.php

MattiJ
02-12-2017, 06:22 AM
Side note........... I wonder if he wears a dust mask when not on camera. Breathing in the dust from some of those hard woods is not healthy.

JL..............

Or that amount of CA glue fumes and accelerator.

oldwing
02-12-2017, 11:59 AM
That was great, thanks for posting it.

I would like to know where he gets all his exotic wood from????

JL..............

Can't speak for him, but Woodcraft and Rockler stores carry small quantities of a wide variety of exotic hardwood.

DATo
02-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Can't speak for him, but Woodcraft and Rockler stores carry small quantities of a wide variety of exotic hardwood.

I don't do this kind of work myself so I don't know, but a quick search turned up this place.

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/exotic-wood-blanks/?gclid=CL6jievpi9ICFdCmaQod574IaA