PDA

View Full Version : Inlay & Engraving

EddyCurr
02-11-2017, 04:05 PM
I am marvelling at inlay, engraving, colour case hardening and other decorative metal working techiques featured in a borrowed copy of "Blade's Guide to Making Knives, 3rd Ed." Edited by Joe Kertzman. Krause Publications ISBN 1-4402-4686-6.

Although the book title indicates the subject is knives, there is a substantial chapter by Steve Culver on Combo Weapons - edged weapons mated with firearms. These are works of art, featuring jaw-dropping inlay and engraving.

Weapons aren't my thing, but I intend to try my hand enhancing other items with some of these approaches. Well, maybe not the engraving.

Memory and a brief search suggest that this kind of work has not been discussed often here. I'll be grazing through the various resources elsewhere, but if HSM members have comments &/or examples of their work, I know I will enjoy seeing these and anticipate that others will, too.

Lee Cordochorea
02-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Get a copy of Metalwork and Enamelling by Herbert Maryon! Basic intro & how-to for amazing stuff, written by a world-class expert.

Euph0ny
02-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Get a copy of Metalwork and Enamelling by Herbert Maryon! Basic intro & how-to for amazing stuff, written by a world-class expert.

+1 on the Maryon book. In this vein, I would also recommend "Steel Canvas" by R.L. Wilson, and "Ars Mechanica" by the FN/Herstal group.

EddyCurr
02-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Thank you both for the reading recommendations. I will search out those titles.

Some of the artisans featured in Steve Culver's chapter in "Blade's Guide to Making Knives, 3rd Ed." (no particular order):

Ron Newton
Tom Ferry (engraving)
Jere Davidson (engraving & inlay)
Bruce Bump
Brina Hochstadt (engraving)
Shaun & Sharla Hansen
Claudio & Ariel Sobral

Searches on line bring up samples of work performed by these people. Many examples of engraving, not so many for inlay. However, the Blade's book presents large close ups of both.

38_Cal
02-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Get a copy of The Art of Engraving, by Meek. Brownells part number 108-005-000 at www.brownells.com. Ask for a copy of their catalog...it used to come with a discount coupon for the book, don't know if it still does.