PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trouble with adapting PC output from DisplayPort to HDMI

gellfex
02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
I bought my mom a new "nettop" PC, a Lenovo ThinkCentre M73, perfect for her minimal needs. She had been using a 7 year old Asus hooked by HDMI to a Visio E260MV tv. No problems. But the Lenovo only has Displayport & VGA out so I bought a DP to HDMI cable. Seemed simple enough.

I set up the PC using a monitor, bring it to her place, and the TV says "incorrect format" or some such over a blank screen. I conclude the screen settings are wrong, but I have no other monitor there to dual screen it and fix them. I bring it home, plug it into my own tv's HDMI, a Samsung, to reproduce the problem, but now I have picture! But I can't get it to size right, it's bleeding off so you can barely see the start button, and no messing with res or settings can get it to fit.

So now I have 2 different symptoms (apparently) for this problem. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Posting on a well known tech site only got me 2 views and no help. Is it possible the cable is crap? My only other experience at all with DP is buying a cable from DP to DVI for an older monitor, which worked just fine.

Thanks.

ikdor
02-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Set your computer first to a low resolution before connecting the tv?

Evan
02-22-2017, 02:29 PM
I use a "VTN" converter with my laptop. It handles HDMI, regular DVI and VGA with a DP 1.2 plugin to the laptop. It works very well and is fully compatible with my 4K 29" screen. I picked it up from Amazon and it was not expensive.

There are different converters and the resolution capability varies. You need to make sure that what you have will handle full HDMI resolution. Not all do. A lot of older TVs do not have true full HDMI capability. A cheap converter may not handle full HDMI but is designed for the older TVs or monitors.

H380
02-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Just got this last week. Works fine for me on an Nvidia 960.

https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Adapter-Resolution-DisplayPort-3840x2160/dp/B01IMTVPFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487792736&sr=8-1&keywords=VCE+DP+to+HDMI+Adapter

lakeside53
02-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Check of you TV can handle 1080p and if not whether the adapter is putting that out. Earlier TVs were often 1080i

gellfex
02-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Just got this last week. Works fine for me on an Nvidia 960.

https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Adapter-Resolution-DisplayPort-3840x2160/dp/B01IMTVPFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487792736&sr=8-1&keywords=VCE+DP+to+HDMI+Adapter

How is that different if at all from what I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FX3K7T2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check of you TV can handle 1080p and if not whether the adapter is putting that out. Earlier TVs were often 1080i

The TV is less than 7 years old, and I didn't see any settings making the 1080i vs 1080p distinction.

Evan, "VTN" converter does not get any hits on google or Amazon.

H380
02-22-2017, 09:48 PM
OK so you proved the new cable will sort of pass a signal. Do you have an old VGA cable you can try? VGA is good for 1080P but no sound and is analogue. My bet it will be a video setting. Either in windows or in the Intel software. It also depends on the exact resolution of your screens. I have an odd 1680x1050 that I needed to create a custom resolution for.

First go to Lenovo's website and download any updated drivers. Or go to Intel https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

The TV manual.

http://download.sears.com/docs/spin_prod_808354412.pdf

Evan
02-22-2017, 10:08 PM
Evan, "VTN" converter does not get any hits on google or Amazon.

I may have tracked it down in a language other than English. Not sure but I can read about six languages well enough to find things. It seems to exist in Europe, at least the brand does. I have my Google set so it doesn't care about language.

andywander
02-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Just to add some info to this thread, you don't need any electronics in the converter to go from a DP source to an HDMI display. That's because DP outputs are capable of switching themselves to HDMI mode, and outputting an HDMI signal. Just the connector needs to be "adapted".

gellfex
02-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Just to add some info to this thread, you don't need any electronics in the converter to go from a DP source to an HDMI display. That's because DP outputs are capable of switching themselves to HDMI mode, and outputting an HDMI signal. Just the connector needs to be "adapted".

Thanks. Little late, I ordered an active adapter from Amazon today, but not H380's, that's a passive one. This is making my head explode, there's too many variables, and I don't even have the target monitor in my possession.

Paul Alciatore
02-23-2017, 09:05 PM
If this is a new purchase, WHY would you not contact Lenovo tech support or the company you purchased it from?

If they don't want to support it, take it back and get a refund. You should not be their tech support arm.

gellfex
02-23-2017, 09:42 PM
If this is a new purchase, WHY would you not contact Lenovo tech support or the company you purchased it from?

If they don't want to support it, take it back and get a refund. You should not be their tech support arm.

Have you noticed that all companies structure their customer service so they never have to talk to you? I couldn't find a number, just a place to open a "ticket", and I thought I could solve this easier than that. Mistakenly it seems.

But I'd put big money on them saying it's not their problem, I'm adapting their output. To solve the problem just plug their unit into a DP compliant monitor.

lakeside53
02-23-2017, 09:45 PM
What has it to do with lenovo? they put out Display port. If you don't want that and need to convert it to HDMI, not their problem.
I convert Display Port to HDMI all the time - just a cable dongle.