PDA

View Full Version : OT: sort of - missing socks and rulers

loose nut
02-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Any of you that are married have a bunch of single socks, the other half of the pair is missing. We also know that this our wives doing, they just like to mess with us.

I have several 6" rulers in the shop, can't find most of them. My wife doesn't go into the shop as far as I know, can't blame her for this. So where did all the rulers go to. I have one that I really like, fractional and tenths. It disappeared for several days and I had to use another less useful one. A couple of days ago I found it just sitting there, taunting me but I was glad to have it back. Now I can't find the one I was using instead. Where do they go and how do the get back. Is there some sort of quantum dimension that these thing disappear into and then pop back into ours.

Maybe there really are gremlins at work.

A.K. Boomer
02-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Try looking for your snap-on 12mm shallow well socket for about three months - turning your entire shop upside down several times,,, and everytime thinking "no way I cave in cuz the second I buy a new one then I will find the old one"

that's how you chalk up three months to begin with - then finally cave,,, buy a new one - and find the old one in the shop you spent hours and hours searching for and in a spot you remember covering with a fine tooth comb...

it's not the women - I had one where I could say "hun you know where the" and before I could finish the sentence she had already picked up on what I was looking for just by what I was working on and tell me where "it" was...

Max McGrumpy
02-24-2017, 04:58 PM
You can know the object's location or it's motion, not both at the same time. So if you can't locate the object stop thinking about it's motion and it will reappear.

Best way to prevent objects from accelerating into oblivion like this is to glue everything down to the workbench.

J Tiers
02-24-2017, 05:02 PM
My wife used to have a boss named Heidi. My wife is really good at locating lost things, usually within 30 seconds of entering the room. Her boss was equally good at misplacing them. I threatened to re-name my wife to "Findi". One of her friends does sometimes call her that.

rsal
02-24-2017, 05:14 PM
The solution to the sock issue it to buy all of the socks of the same style and color and of sufficient quantity for at least 3 weeks. That way you always have a matching pair of socks and when you end up with an odd sock, the mate obviously was worn out and discarded. I also think the washer and drier have more to do with the missing socks as they seem to eat them. Lot better to blame the machines than SWMBO. Keeps domestic harmony better.

As to the ruler and other shop equipment, I always blame the night shift. They will loose whatever they do not break.

rsal

john hobdeclipe
02-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Last week I looked behind the dryer and found several socks that I had never seen before. Are they yours?

Weston Bye
02-24-2017, 05:23 PM
When you do find your rulers they will all be approximately in the same place.

A.K. Boomer
02-24-2017, 05:23 PM
"Last week I looked behind the dryer and found several socks that I had never seen before. Are they yours?"

boy I hope not or you two have allot of explaining to do...

Toolguy
02-24-2017, 05:31 PM
I always used to blame the night shift too. Then it occurred to me that I am the day shift and the night shift. In the end, not all that helpful. Then I realized the big companies have it figured out. Each shift blames the other for any and all problems, so there is always someone else to blame. Now I can be mad at the night shift during the day (and I am innocent of course) and blame the day shift at night (it's always the other guy's fault). Problem solved. I can go through the entire day guilt free, and somehow everything works out OK.:)

A.K. Boomer
02-24-2017, 05:35 PM
TG don't really know if you would call that an identity crises or a personality disorder, but either way get some help, and if it's good help please give me their card...

jcon
02-24-2017, 05:36 PM
As for the socks pin them together on a large safety pin, you can get 3 or 4 pair on a pin. If you wear diabetic socks, they will work their way into the pin spring and head, a small 4 whole shirt button on the pin before the socks and one after the socks solves this problem.
As for losing things I have a place I put things so I can find them, problem is I can’t remember where the place is. One day a will put something there and find everything I have lost.

38_Cal
02-24-2017, 05:46 PM
I'm convinced that there's a black hole under my workbench that's related to the one in my washer and dryer, but it eats small tools and parts rather than socks!

AD5MB
02-24-2017, 06:21 PM
lost a Leatherman 5 years back. walked into the living room a year ago and it's sitting on the living room floor with an eighth of an inch of dust on it. where my feet were one minute before when I got up for coffee.

socks: only black Hanes. you got two socks, you got one pair.

Lew Hartswick
02-24-2017, 06:29 PM
You can know the object's location or it's motion, not both at the same time. So if you can't locate the object stop thinking about it's motion and it will reappear.
:-) Yea, You and Heisenberg. :-)
...lew...

A.K. Boomer
02-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Is there some sort of quantum dimension that these thing disappear into and then pop back into ours.

Maybe there really are gremlins at work.

freaking me out thinking about this now,,, did you double check and make sure the socks don't have some kind of measuring scale on them and the rulers are not "stretchy"

BCRider
02-24-2017, 07:28 PM
The rulers grew up into foot longs. You just need to take an inventory to see how many new foot longs you have and compare to before.

It's OK though. They'll mate soon and you'll end up with a lot of inch rulers running around and in due time they'll grow up to be 6 inchers and then they in turn will grow up and have families of their own. It's just the circle of Life....

For me it's all about my reading glasses. I've got roughly a dozen pairs scattered yon and hither. But every so often I can't find any to save my life. I run around looking only to find them holding a conference in one location or the other... I'm pretty sure they are planning to form a Union or commit an optical coup that will see me banished from my own home and left destitute to wander the streets homeless and latheless.

john hobdeclipe
02-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Best way to prevent objects from accelerating into oblivion like this is to glue everything down to the workbench.

Good idea, but now I can't find my glue.

Robin R
02-24-2017, 09:14 PM
A while back I went and bought $160 worth of black socks so I'm good for a while, I just hope I can find more of the same next time I need more. I have a grand daughter who just puts on the first two socks that come to hand, never a pair. I only have one six inch ruler, it's metric and I normally work in imperial measure, so the ruler has no real reason to go missing. Yes I do know the ruler is really 150 mm.

darryl
02-24-2017, 11:57 PM
I have the same syndrome here. Till recently I've been able to keep track of pretty much every tool I use and where I left it last. That is starting to dim a little now.

Socks- well I have at least three orphans now, and I've only had these socks for about two months. I've looked behind the washer and dryer, all over the bedroom, all through the stack of clean laundry that never got put away, and in each workshop room. When I find them ( some optimism here) they will be in the last place I looked, but not necessarily in a place I haven't looked before. Like finding your keys in your hand after a three hour search-

I think this is proof that there is someone or something watching over all of us- and messing with us. However I fail to see the lesson here- are we not supposed to be wearing two socks? One will do?

BCRider
02-25-2017, 01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that the circular motion in the dryers sets up a quantum portal to the Sock Universe and as the items tumble the odd sock gets sucked in as it passes by. It's a pretty small portal though so towels and shirts are OK.

Westline
02-25-2017, 01:33 AM
Main years ago I got this advice on the HSM forum when I'm busy with a project and I can't find a tool I start cleaning the workshop until ai find what I lost and then carry on with the project... This keeps the shop in just the right level of tools all over but still able to find stuff.

On the socks issue this video will explain it.
https://youtu.be/T3vkmkGt-0M

MattiJ
02-25-2017, 02:13 AM
Rulers I can usually find because I use them hardly ever. Guaranteed to find ruler when trying to look one of the lost five calipers...

Calipers, lathe chuck key and qctp-key are the ones missing constantly...
Side cutters if working with electronics.

Paul Alciatore
02-25-2017, 02:45 AM
Socks:

I like to buy socks a half dozen pairs at a time, all the same style and color. I figure that way they will all match each other. You would think this was a good idea, but they fade differently and it drives my wife nuts trying to match the various, faded shades of that original color. I value my life and limbs so I try to stay away when she is sorting socks.

Rulers:

Two of my favorite rulers have disappeared over the years. One was a two foot long stainless steel one that was given out as a promotion by a printing company. A high school friend got it from his dad and brought it to school. He did something with it that the home room teacher did not like so it was confiscated. No appeal. That was years ago and that ruler was used for "swift justice" for the rest of the year. I am sure all of us in that class got a taste. I got several. At the end of the year it was auctioned off for some good cause and I won the auction for around $1.75 IIRC. I used it for many years, but after several moves I can no longer find it. I miss it. I found the 24 inch length to be very handy.

The other was a six inch, aluminum scale by Lufkin or one of the other drafting companies. It was divided in tenths and hundredths. You needed a magnifier to read the 100 division scale, but it was great. It is also missing after all those moves. I still hope it will be in the back of a drawer or bottom of a box.

wdtom44
02-25-2017, 09:34 AM
It seems like the more of something I have the less easy it is to find one. I think that when you have only one you tend to know where it is. But when you have several you think "with this many I will always be able to find one". So you don't keep track of where even one is.

Wirecutter
02-25-2017, 01:58 PM
It seems like the more of something I have the less easy it is to find one. I think that when you have only one you tend to know where it is. But when you have several you think "with this many I will always be able to find one". So you don't keep track of where even one is.

I use the same approach with reading glasses. Anywhere I'm likely to read something is a place for another set of readers. The car, home office, work office, the shop, the kitchen, etc. I bring them with me to the restroom.

SWMBO somehow keeps me in socks. I think she just discards the orphans, and I get new pairs at Christmas.

Joel
02-25-2017, 02:43 PM
OT for sure. :)
Socks - I buy 2 packs at a time, so 12-16 pair all the same type and age. When they get washed, the clean ones go to the back of the row so they get rotated and all wear out at about the same time. When enough are retired, they all go to the rag bin and the cycle starts anew. Same for other undergarments. By having the 'main' socks all alike in type and age (cold weather socks are different), the matching to a pair requirement is rendered moot.

We assign an artificial parity to socks. They themselves have no particular reason to stay together as a pair, so the onus lies in our own efforts. If those efforts are insufficient, the imposed parity is lost. That being said, our washing machine doesn't eat them and I don't recall that I/we have ever lost a sock.

My 'loss of tool' count is at about 3 in over 40 years and I know exactly when (and about where) they disappeared. Now, I misplace things plenty often. I attempt to reduce that annoyance by striving to leave things laying in the open and not put things in odd places. If I set a wrench on a shelf while I am looking for something else, I could predict it will end up a lengthy search. I try not to do that, but...
For reading glasses, tape measures, 6" rules and often used items, I too utilize the broadcast/shotgun method and have them in many locations, so one can always be located quickly.

AD5MB - Strange, was it left on top of a ceiling fan or something like that?

Paul Alciatore
02-25-2017, 02:53 PM
I do that with readers too. They are all over the house and I have over six pair in my shop. And I keep one in the bathroom. Truck too. Plus a pair I carry in my shirt pocket. At $5 or $10 a pair, this is easy.

And as a bonus, they never seem to break or get scratched. If I get prescription lenses, they will be toast in a week. I wonder if they use better plastic for the lenses in the cheap readers. Go figure!

I use the same approach with reading glasses. Anywhere I'm likely to read something is a place for another set of readers. The car, home office, work office, the shop, the kitchen, etc. I bring them with me to the restroom.

SWMBO somehow keeps me in socks. I think she just discards the orphans, and I get new pairs at Christmas.

boslab
02-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Any 2 socks = a pair to me, color and style irrelavent
Mark

fixerdave
02-25-2017, 11:17 PM
If you lose something you know you have, the easiest way to find it is to go buy another. Then, when you get into your shop, decide on the best place to put it... and there will be the one you can't find. Now you have 2. Don't ask me why the "best place" for something is the one place you never check when tearing apart your shop looking for something yet is always the first place you go to put something away. It just is.

Sorry, I have no meaningful theories on sock pairing,

David...

Dan_the_Chemist
02-26-2017, 01:01 AM
The solution to the sock issue it to buy all of the socks of the same style and color and of sufficient quantity for at least 3 weeks.
rsal

I used to hate having to match up socks, so 45 years ago I standardized to buying only white socks and black socks. That's all I have. If I pull any three socks out of the drawer I will have a matching pair. Of course, some weeks my wife doesn't wash the socks soon enough and the last two socks in the drawer make a dramatic new fashion statement.

http://i.imgur.com/vvBSYnl.jpg

Here is one of my herd of six inch rulers sitting on top of a somewhat unusual nut and spanner...

http://i.imgur.com/mXp0qdx.jpg

dave_r
02-26-2017, 03:01 AM
Really? A 7-sided nut. Was that intentional (nobody but me and my wrench are going to rotate that nut) or accidental?

Puckdropper
02-26-2017, 10:30 AM
I used to hate having to match up socks, so 45 years ago I standardized to buying only white socks and black socks. That's all I have. If I pull any three socks out of the drawer I will have a matching pair. Of course, some weeks my wife doesn't wash the socks soon enough and the last two socks in the drawer make a dramatic new fashion statement.

You could reduce your problem in half by only have one color of sock. I guess I'd suggest the black, but if people are looking at your socks you need to remind them that your eyes are up here (and point).

Norman Bain
02-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Yes, I do know the "missing item" scenario well.

That said, I am not blind to those occasions where the inverse occurs; that is, you go looking and the exact item you need is right there glowing at you ... like the exact length piece of steel in the scrap bin.

Norman

Paul Alciatore
02-26-2017, 03:00 PM
That has been done. Most fire hydrants have a five sided head on the valve stem. This is to try to prevent people from opening them. The fire trucks have the five sided wrench that fits all of them. But, of course, a pipe wrench works just fine.

Really? A 7-sided nut. Was that intentional (nobody but me and my wrench are going to rotate that nut) or accidental?