PDA

View Full Version : Knight Foundry

Bob Ford
02-27-2017, 09:46 AM
We have a opportunity to help preserve a unique water powered foundry. http://knightfoundry.com/

I was fortunate to be there when it was still operating. Really nice collection of machines. Newest one that I saw was a shaper of early 1950s ? Water powered speed control was interesting to watch on the various machines.

Bob

sasquatch
02-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Great pics, very interesting!

1935Ron
02-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Great news, and outstanding!

John Stevenson
02-27-2017, 05:05 PM
I thought the price was rather high for some old machinery that didn't have a real value and if removed from the building would be bulldozed into a land fill somewhere.

Toolguy
02-27-2017, 05:40 PM
Agreed.

Frank Ford
02-27-2017, 06:09 PM
I thought the price was rather high for some old machinery that didn't have a real value and if removed from the building would be bulldozed into a land fill somewhere.

I think you need to put that in context. Here in California, we have a less intimate relationship with the distant past than you folk who inhabit an island that's been "civilized" for many centuries. Around these parts, a REALLY old thing has been around only a couple hundred years, and much of our population needs serious help in cultivating a sense of history. Jeez, you guys have manmade structures as old as our giant Sequoias!

So, consider it as a museum - maybe not on the scale of Victoria and Albert, but still important to us in recognizing a bit of our own past and development particularly in the romantic Gold Rush era. A couple hundred grand for a museum and educational facility ain't so much to spend.

Remember, we're still on the frontier out here - developing technology, attitude and trends ahead of so many other areas. . .

Bob Ford
02-28-2017, 06:29 PM
If anybody is withing driving distance the Saturday March 4 th open house 10 am to 4 pm is well worth the trip. Ten hour trip for me. I liked the small Knight's water wheel that powered a pedestal grinder. Adjusting the flow of water controlled the speed. The big surface planer would be fun to watch run again.

Bob

BCRider
02-28-2017, 07:03 PM
I'd say it's a wonderful historical snap shot at what industry was like at the time. And with a few very interesting personal touches as well.

I'd love to see the website be a little more comprehensive. At the moment it's got precious little to draw in a crowd and even less to encourage donations. A few poor pictures that can't be enlarged and a link to a past TV show spot.

To really make it shine it would be nice to see it expanded to live cameras that in some cases could be directed by the folks online. Or perhaps an array that forms a 360 view that folks can zoom into and pan around in HD. That would really make it feel like they were THERE.

A program on the web site of jobs being done so it encourages folks to tune in would be nice as well. Anyone that will watch the big name You Tube machinists for 45 minutes at a time would tune into jobs done on old historical machinery. And by involving them that would likely see the folks choosing the option of donating to the cause.

Roger Williams
03-01-2017, 05:11 AM
Fantastic, well worth saving. Might even make a donation myself !.

flylo
03-01-2017, 05:42 AM
I'd donate but California will soon be it's own country so I have to donate to that cause instead. Just kidding:o Looks like certainly worth saving IMHO.

Bob Ford
03-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Just received this press release. http://knightfoundry.com/sutter-creek-california-knight-foundry-acquisition-reality/

They need to receive donations before April 15th.

The website designer has contacted me and I sent the link to this page. I am sure that things discussed here will get added if possible.

Bob

Bob Ford
03-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Flylo,

California is a big state, but is controlled by the votes in San Francisco, Los Angeles,and a few other large cities. If the people living in the rest of the state could do it California would be a small state composed of those areas. Where I live would be called Jefferson which would have a few of the southern Oregon counties.

Bob

mklotz
03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
The San Francisco - Sacramento area has already seceded from reality; I see no reason why they shouldn't secede from the country.

jdunmyer
03-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Bob,
Thanks for the heads-up on this, I sent a check today.

<<Jim>>